Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Art/wall hanging for cathedral-ceiling wall...

Sueb20
hace 7 años

Now that we've gotten to know this room, I have another query. Here is my original post with pics of the space.

Over the doorway to the left of the red loveseat, we have a section of wall sort of like this, except obviously my room is totally different. The space over the doorway is probably 4' high, so not as grand as this.

For 10+ years, we have had a big, goofy papier mache moose head hanging on the wall. I bought him for about $25 on ebay. I thought of it as a fun, temporary art installation (ha), and we have all enjoyed him -- he gets decorated for Christmas and currently sports a Red Sox hat and a silk floral lei. But, I am over him. And finally, so is DH.

DH wants to replace him with a bunch of these guys . I bought one to check it out, and ehhh... I don't know if I want to go this silly again. We've got plenty of whimsical touches in our house and I think we might be veering into circus territory if we take it too far.

If you have a wall like this -- do you have something interesting hanging there? I keep thinking about a wood wall carving sort of thing, like this (but round), and I think this is really cool but it might kill someone if it ever fell down!?

The other furniture in this area is fairly eclectic -- I've got what you see in the pics in the other link, the kitchen (which is just to the left) has shaker off-white cabinets and contemporary cherry island stools, kitchen table is a cherry top on an antique sewing machine base, and in the foyer and near the mudroom we have old English pine antiques...and in other nearby rooms we have Stickley Mission oak stuff. And we have a lot of original artwork/paintings but I don't see this as a place to hang something like that.

Ideas?

Comentarios (7)

• User
    hace 7 años

I'm a little confused about what wall you are talking about when I look at your photos. Can you post a picture of the actual space.

• Sueb20
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I will try to post a pic later, but it is over the doorway to the left of the barn painting.

• PRO
    WWH Restoration
    hace 7 años

Be careful not to have so much going on, that your guests are having to constantly be looking to see what the next whimsy will be.

Sounds like simpler is better. The fish are fine, but is there a nautical or fish theme going on, or is it just another decor item that may not relate to what you already have in the room?

If your art on the other walls is fish, or something like that, it seem fine. but if you have the Mona Lisa on one all, an image of castles on another and dogs playing poker somewhere else, it might be time to take every thing down, and try to come up with a theme for your art.

For my clients, I always try to group similar things together, and work with colors that are already in the room, the rug or fabrics.

• maggieq
    hace 7 años

We have used metal wall art, several by Artisan House. Lots of options for color, size, theme, etc.

http://www.nextleveldecor.com/shop/cat_7_0.html

• Sueb20
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Agree...that's why I nixed the fish. I do think I need to take down the moose and see what the empty wall seems to need...if anything.

• Kitch4me
    hace 7 años

I probably wouldn't put anything there. I would want the focus to be on the barn picture.

• MtnRdRedux
    hace 7 años

LOL, my inlaws had one of those, that sang "Don't Worry be Happy". Is this a Boston thing? They are in the Boston burbs. I kid you not.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.