Houzz Logo Print
angmc80

Privacy trees?

Angela
hace 7 años
Hi! This is the view out of my kitchen bay window. We look directly into our back neighbor's bay window, and I'm very interested in hearing privacy landscaping ideas- I'm tired of our clear view of each other's kitchen lives- it's especially tough at night when we're both illuminated! It is a long stretch of fence which is why I don't know what to do. Thanks!

Comentarios (27)

• susanalanandwrigley
    hace 7 años

You could certainly plant trees or tall hedges ... but what about just pulling the blinds at night?

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Of course we do that. It's more of the all day lack of privacy that's the issue.
  • PRO
    GreenSmartDecor
    hace 7 años

How about privacy hedges?

Privacy Solutions with GreenSmart Decor Artificial Hedge Panels · Más información

Privacy Solutions with GreenSmart Decor · Más información

• acm
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

That seems pretty far away to worry about. Who cares that there are signs of life around you? You already knew people lived there, right? It would be different if they were peering through binoculars or shouting at you, but it's ok that we live in the environs of other people -- proximity is not the same as threat. It's community. It can keep us safe and interconnected.

• chloebud
    hace 7 años

A couple things that have worked for us are Podocarpus and Ficus Nitida. Both can be grown as tree or hedge...we did the hedge. Easy to grow and good for privacy. Also, sometimes I just prefer looking at trees instead of houses.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 7 años

Your area of the country will help determine what type of privacy hedge is possible.

• ladma
    hace 7 años
    You could do a mixed planting along the fence, and strategically place the tallest to block the window. Maybe that would be an evergreen.
  • Claudianne Young
    hace 7 años

Fruit trees don't get vert tall and are beautiful in the spring and feed the animals. Bushes will take up room in your yard at the bottom, but some are evergreen. I'd talk to someone at your local nursery. They'll know what works in your area and will have mature specimens for sale.

• chloebud
    hace 7 años

claudiann's suggestion of asking a local nursery is good. Let them know how far out from the fence you'd like the plantings to be. Many choices can be trimmed to keep them in check. I was looking at your photo again. Depending on what you want, the canopy on just one tree could pretty much fill up that opening. See what the nursery recommends.

• pat1250
    hace 7 años
    Best year round privacy? Evergreen trees. Spruce, pine, cedar, arborvitae........check varieties based on your planting zone. Perhaps 3? Check overall heights and widths of what you may select to ensure proper spacing. Trees always add value to your property. Let us know what you decide to do.
  • pat1250
    hace 7 años
    Just to be clear.....3 of any one species, based on overall growth.
  • smileythecat
    hace 7 años

The Leyland cypress grows BIG fast, gotta have some depth in your backyard and it looks like you do, Arborvitae look better but takes quite a bit more time to grow, anyway something local depending on your locale.

• emmarene9
    hace 7 años

Tell us your USDA zone and water situation. Is the soil clay?

• chantalguy
    hace 7 años
    We had the same issue, and we chose a Norwegian Globulus Maple, perfect shape, maximum height10-12 feet and very dense. Check it out:)
  • Xochitl
    hace 7 años

We live in So Cal and put in native trees, toyon, california bay, oaks, etc., in our front and back yards. They provide privacy, grow wonderfully and are great for the bees.

• Barbara Almandarz
    hace 7 años

Go to your local nursery for the best advice. I'd looking adding a colorful tree, whether it flowers or has colorful leaves year round. Take into consideration the proximity of the swing set. Good luck!

• Angela
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks for all the great advice! I am going to bring this thread with me to a nursery- there are so many ideas. :) Oh- and we're in Chicago, and yes to clay in the soil.
  • liserb1357
    hace 7 años
    hi angmc80, i feel your pain and would rather look out my window onto green trees and plants than someone's house. check out arborvitae (thuja 'green giant'). this variety can grow 3-5 feet a year reaching 30-50 feet. it can be used as tall screen or cut into hedge, depending on needs. it grows narrower than leyland cypress...about 10 feet wide. if you like a fuller look, then use these as background and build out with shrubs of your liking. since they grow quickly, you will not spend a fortune buying large plants to start.
  • PRO
    John McLean, Architect
    hace 7 años

The one thing I might add to the landscaping suggestions is to remember that what you do there can act as both a screen to block views of the house behind you AND a focal point for the view from your house. I might consider using tall, narrow trees closest to the fence (perhaps evergreen, perhaps not (poplars depending on the available space) to form a backdrop for a group of lower plantings or deciduous trees of smaller size in front, possibly displaying fall colors (Japanese maples) or spring flowers. That might also be a place to put a garden seat or a small sculpture that could be lit at night.

• gtcircus
    hace 7 años
    The privacy hedges work, so would pines. Just make sure you
    ZIG ZAG the plantings rather than planting In a straight line, that way they will grow in and look right.
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    hace 7 años

While your space isn't super tight, the wrong trees will eat a lot of it. And I'm assuming you clearly want a good bit of play space. Bigger stuff like Leylands or pines will end up coming past the playset, based on what I'm seeing. And besides, Leyland cypress are never the answer. Ugh.

If you work with a local designer, he or she can help prioritize where to block undesirable views while adding some attractive layering. Basically it looks like you could have an evergreen screen (1 or more trees) to block the bay window in the center, then curve back in closer to the fence. I think you have a terrific opportunity to add some depth and interest to your yard, tweak the shape of the grass a little, and still maintain a lot of space.

• PRO
    Michael Morris - Residential Project Advisory
    hace 7 años
    Not sure what region you live but I would stagger some full evergreens along fence (green giant arborvitae or equivalent) but don't crowd in a line. Maybe 3. Odd numbers are always best when planting. Then add some smaller specie of tree (cherry, crepe myrtle) to give some contrast to the density of the screen planting a. Will look more natural.
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 7 años

you have lots of space and only need privacy above the fence. a row of birch, or dogwood will stop the eye in winter, give total privacy in summer when the leaves are out.

you only need to plant a few, strategically placed... just to block window to window interaction.

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    hace 7 años

I'm not seeing any compelling reason for a line (straight or staggered) along the whole back line. You know you live in a neighborhood and that doesn't bother you, except for having to see the neighbors cooking (are you team Bobby Flay and they're Team Paula Deen? I totally get that).

It may look like a lot of yard in the photo but once you break the yard
    up into function zones (screening trees, play space, patio/deck/grownup
    space) it gets tight. So block the view, blend that blocking into the rest of the fenceline, and call it a day. Something like this:

That lets you get the blocking and preserve space. It also gives you the adding benefit of creating a subtle "split" in the backyard, so if you want to tell the kids "this side is for your playset and toys, this side is for running and playing" it's a lot easier.

As far as plant selection though, find someone local. We're zone 7a here.

• Geneviève
    hace 7 años

Cedars would do it ,but you will need to trim them once in a while after they are full grown., I think that your neighbour has a trampoline in the back yard though!!

Deerfield Residence Landscape Design · Más información

• chantalguy
    hace 7 años
    Globulus Norwegian maple
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.