Houzz Logo Print
sarapostma

Exterior Help

Sara Hurdis
hace 7 años

We have just purchased this home (so exciting!!), we fell in love with the interior but the exterior needs a bit of love. We were thinking of painting the trim and the stucco (and eventually replacing the doors on the 2nd storey). Right now the stucco is a broken-bottle type and the trim is a mixture of green, black and white. I'm just wondering if anyone has colour options that would look nice or if anyone has seen houses similar to this one re-done?

Comentarios (8)

• libradesigneye
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

This is a wonderful eclectic sort of Victorian house, eh? The triple gable bay up above and the painted out corner quoins (let's dial that back) make it almost a Victorian farmhouse sort of eclectic ... balcony over the porch roof . . some shed roof characteristics . . what can we do to give her more dignity but also bring out the sense of fun that is built into this architecture .. .back with colors and ideas ..

Since you have stucco, stucco is best when it is a color you might find on a stone or river rock in nature. I want to suggest a range of neutrals with one color on all the window trim and eventually the new screen doors / storm doors above. Look at the colors on this house - soft beiges and creams have some contrast but not so high . .and the punctuation of the red window sashes is wonderful ..

what isn't apparent right off for the photo . .is that there are three colors of buff - more of an ivory on the first floor siding / soft tan on the second floor siding, pale for trim . .

Since your first floor much of it is shaded by the porch roof . . we might go lighter for the house itself . and deepen the trim and windows instead . .

Victorian Splendor · Más información

Some of your windows look like new prefinished white casements and some look like paintable sash windows. If you can paint sash windows and doors . . tell us so we suggest enough color. Finally - tell me what colors you love and use in the public spaces downstairs - accent shades.

• M
    hace 7 años
    Love your house! Very unique! I would start with cleaning up the landscaping. Get rid of that bush/tree in front of the porch and maybe re-sod the front lawn. With the bushes trimmed back then we can see a bit better what the porch looks like. Very cool house!
  • libradesigneye
    hace 7 años

Brick Victorians are frequent in your part of the world. Stucco later would have been the obvious cladding fix. Here's a stone one that might inspire a new cladding tone . . something like bm light pewter on your stucco . . perhaps river gorge gray on all the accent elements where there is white now .. and some glossy black window trim / door trim, railings, etc ....

Front Exterior · Más información

• libradesigneye
    hace 7 años

So "redone" would be adding lots of brick a brac and corbels and new upper and lower railings and probably isn't in the cards for a good while if ever. There is a mountain Victorian vibe used in ski towns in the (and I bet Calgary) west that would be fun to channel here though - where they use one brighter color on trim or accents ,,

• libradesigneye
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Can you post your predominant interior accent color so I can see if I can build you a palette around some great exterior accent shade of it?

• flopsycat1
    hace 7 años

Such a cool house- would love to see pics of the interior. Congratulations!

• PRO
    JFF Design Architects
    hace 7 años

I would offer to embrace the eclectic feel of this Victorian interpretation with a little natural wood treatment in the form of a pergola to shelter the balcony area (mimicking the roof slope) and perhaps a conical exposed beam treatment over the cluster of bays in an homage to the turret feel....these ideas could offer a contrast to the stucco.

I agree with zeedeer to clean up the landscape...scrape it all away and plant intentionally to frame the house not conceal it. Choose your species wisely for a twenty year growth so it won't overwhelm in the future.

Best of luck!!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.