Houzz Logo Print
director6

Is pea gravel a good choice with tree debris?

director6
hace 11 años
We are looking to replace an old patio. It is shaded by a very large and old maple tree. We are considering pea gravel but are concerned how to keep it neat and tidy with lots of leaves and seeds that drop. We also have bamboo that borders the space. Again, a very messy plant. Can we use a blower to keep it clean? The roots from the tree and the bamboo uprooted the concrete and flagstone that we have. I love the look of stone and that we reduce the rain from running off the property.

Comentarios (8)

• Laurel Crisafulli
    hace 11 años
    We have a lot of trees around our house that drop pine needles constantly. Instead of using pea gravel, we went one size up. It doesn't get stuck in our dog's paws, and it doesn't tend to move when I hit it with my blower to remove debris.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 11 años
    Hi there
    I have tons of bamboo and I agree it is a messy plant - however if you have your blower on a lower setting it is indeed possible to blow the leaves without letting the gravel blow with it... it takes a bit of calibration.
    If you still have your bamboo and are going to invest in a patio please put in a rhizome barrier (a thick black plastic barrier that needs to go 50cm in the soil and 10cm out of it) to stop your bamboo spreading... or else its roots will be in your pathway in no time.... and they are unstoppable!
  • director6
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Great tip for the rhizome barrier! I love the sound of the wind in the bamboo and the birds flock to it at night. Thanks!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 11 años
    I use it as an ecological sound barrier by a railway line. Added bonus: as the train zooms by, the wind it generates makes the bamboo sway
  • director6
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Wow, all comments really helped with our plans. Thanks for the input.
  • Colleen Stacey
    hace 6 años

Yes but a big huge BUT... I have crushed gravel with brick inlay and large gravel which of coarse the maple tree in my neighbors yard sheds leaves and lil' red pieces which can be blown off but a lot of the gravel goes with the maple tree residue which I then have to try not to pick up with the leaves...my husband and I are now looking at doing either a raised 'deck board' walkway around the entire back of our house or I simply have a LOT of work.... so in short yes a leaf blower will work but try not to blow the tree residue to any grassed or flowered areas...pain in the B..U..T.. Hope this helps.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    hace 6 años
    Old post 2013
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.