Houzz Logo Print
scbhomes

Loft Window in Church Conversion?

Slate Creek Builders
hace 7 años
última modificación:hace 7 años

We are working on a church conversion project (turning a church into a single family home).

The ceiling heights are such that we can create a cool office/loft over the main living space. The back wall of this area currently has no window, but the homeowners would like to add one.

We would love to hear input from others on what shape of window they would put here. We can't go the reclaimed route for a handful of reasons unfortunately, but the desire is still for a unique shape. Possibly operational. The homeowners are considering round or gothic so far.

What would you do if this was your project?

Comentarios (12)

• Rusty Empire
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Yah, I love the gothic shape with mullions but have noticed the other windows are ultra-contemporary. So for that reason I would def. forego the mullions and do knock out a quick 3D of a larger operational round window and post it here. PS: But the one you've pictured would look great for my own church conversion (hint hint) ;-). Cheers.

The Church Residence · Más información

RESIDENTIAL CHURCH CONVERSION · Más información

Slate Creek Builders agradeció a Rusty Empire
  • PRO
    Slate Creek Builders
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Here are some exterior photos-

• acm
    hace 7 años

I like the gothic with the ceiling shape in that space.

Slate Creek Builders agradeció a acm
  • Anna Kriebel
    hace 7 años

Looks great! Lofts are a great way to both open up and divide a space without compromising your open concept!

Slate Creek Builders agradeció a Anna Kriebel
  • PRO
    Adrian S. Cutchshaw Architectural Design+Build
    hace 7 años

I think a Gothic style window would look great. Round would be my second choice.

Slate Creek Builders agradeció a Adrian S. Cutchshaw Architectural Design+Build
  • Terri Henderson
    hace 7 años

Definitely gothic! I love church conversions and wish I could do one.

Slate Creek Builders agradeció a Terri Henderson
  • Rusty Empire
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Now after seeing the exterior and realizing it is actually a more contemporary building I'm def. leaning towards round. Gothic shapes don't fit with this structure at all. A 70s era (?) building designed in contemporary style looks plainly wrong with any embellishments wether it be crown molding, mullions on windows, or elaborate millwork. The client may prefer it however, but aesthetically it doesn't fit.

• PRO
    Linda
    hace 7 años

This is good opportunity to demonstrate the value of photoshop.

If you have a triangular window on the opposing gable, perhaps you should work with that shape/style. From the inside, gothic would fit quite well but I think it might look strange from the exterior view. Will there be a porch of some sort over that entry door? That entire side of the building needs something and any window should be considered as an element of the exterior appearance, not just how it fits into the interior space.

Slate Creek Builders agradeció a Linda
  • Rusty Empire
    hace 7 años

Still liking the idea of a oversized round window. But the triangular window Linda has pointed out does make sense. Whatever you go with make it larger to add interest/surprise to the exterior.

The Birdhouse · Más información

Georgian - Regency · Más información

• PRO
    Slate Creek Builders
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks for all the great ideas!

The back elevation will change a bit, as that exit door will become a window and two more windows will be added on the main floor.

The original triangular window (as seen from front) is the only window we are not replacing on existing building, so I think the idea of mimicking that shape might be nice... though bringing in a circle or gothic with some softer edges seems like a nice contrast too.

Here's a quick view from the loft looking back toward the living space. You can see where the triangular window will be in the top. We may have some exposed trusses in the main space, but have a few issues to solve there first.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 7 años

After seeing the exterior, I would go with a round window.

The Birdhouse · Más información

Jimi House · Más información

Dune View · Más información

Slate Creek Builders agradeció a decoenthusiaste
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.