Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

Need a high quality portable radio

mtvhike
hace 7 años

I need a high quality portable radio. By portable, I mean battery operated and fairly small. By high quality, I mean good FM reception and good sound. Best Buy seems to only have "Boom boxes", some of which are good enough, but all are too large, and I don't need or want a CD or tape player. Another feature I require is digital tuning, because I usually know the frequency of the station I am trying to receive, but it may be very weak where I am. I am frequently traveling in regions with a limited number of desirable radio stations. Some stations I wish to receive are not on Sirius, so that's not an answer. I have tried using my iPhone connected to a JamBox to receive internet radio and it works, but only where there is cellular data service. Any suggestions?

Comentarios (16)

• sushipup1
    hace 7 años

We have a small "shower radio" from Sony that sounds good and works well. I take it out in the yard when I am gardening.

• 36vintage
    hace 7 años

You looked at the wrong place in Best Buy; should have checked out the mp3 players that has a radio. Saw a Sony mp3 player with digital tuner for $79.99 "on sale". Not only you can have radio but carry your own type of music with you.

Other mp3 players can have the same thing but it also depends on how much you want to pay.

• toxcrusadr
    hace 7 años

There are not a lot of good portable radios anymore.

• mtvhike
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

Thanks, 36, I'll look for MP3 players.

• peg_leg
    hace 7 años

Take a look at what C.Crane offers at www.ccrane.com

• sushipup1
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Yes, C. Crane has excellent products, we've had one for many years, love it.

• mtvhike
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I looked at C.Crane's website, but they list many products and I can't figure out which one would be best for me. I don't care about shortwave, weather, etc. So should I select the CCradio Skywave, the CCradio EP, or one of the CCradio 2E Enhanced models? remember, I am only interested in excellent FM reception and sound quality.

• sushipup1
    hace 7 años

Call them, toll-free number. They know their products and won't steer you wrong.

• PRO
    WWH Restoration
    hace 7 años

You can get an app on your cell phone to play FM stations, that use very little data, if you have a smart phone.

• mtvhike
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I'll look into an iPhone app, but the sound quality of the phone is poor. I currently connect my phone to a Jambox and listen to the radio streaming over the internet and the sound is OK (not great), but that only works when there is internet connectivity. I have a couple of Bose Wave Radios which is the minimum sound quality I am looking for, but they are not battery operated.

• mtvhike
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I "went" to the Apple App store and downloaded an FM Radio app. It didn't work, and said that additional hardware was needed. That seemed to be the case with all the FM Radio apps listed. Also, they were all fairly old, e.g. 2012. Finally, some were linked to specific radio stations, not generic. Do I need additional hardware? If I don't, what app would give real analog radio reception?

• mtvhike
    Autor original
    hace 7 años

I am expecting to pay $100 or more, but I want one with good quality sound with built-in speakers.

• Champ TX-
    hace 6 años

Did you ever find one?

• mtvhike
    Autor original
    hace 6 años

Thanks for asking, Champ, but No, I didn't find one. I now use my iPhone with a jambox speaker (source of signal: the internet). This is not satisfactory, and I am still looking.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.