karenharris21

Porch dilemma

karenharris21
hace 8 años
Hello everyone, we have recently bought this house and hate the exterior, we have decided to put a pitch roof on the garage but were stuck with what to do with the porch, its single skin so feels cold and damp but to double skin would mean taking some off the window, any ideas would be really appreciated, thank you x

Comentarios (14)

• karenharris21
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    anyone
  • PRO
    Clever And Simple
    hace 8 años
    Hi Karen,
    You could insulate the block work on the outside and then render over the insulation. This wouldn't be as thick as a cavity wall so should fit in against the window and maintain the look that you have. Could you get underfloor heating in there too to add some warmth?
    Peter
  • Norma Wiles
    hace 8 años
    How about extending the length of the porch and build a wall across to the left of the garage ,then reposition the front door to where the window is .
  • Norma Wiles
    hace 8 años
    You could also cover the crazy paving with some exterior tiles and then replace the current small pots with just one large taller one .
  • karenharris21
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you guys, really good ideas, we thought about moving the door to the side but wondered if that would make the zero curb appeal worse, insulating the render is an idea, yes crazy paving, windows, pots, everything needs changing
  • Angie
    hace 8 años

A new garage door could improve the appearance dramatically. If you had one with a personal/pedestrian door inset it would potentially be more useful and look better too. And repairing the render at the bottom of the garage door and re-painting it would improve things no end. You could also paint the render around the first floor window so it's fresh and new. It all looks a bit tired and sprucing it up will help the overall appearance.

Angie

• Jenny Smith
    hace 8 años

I used to own a similar house. You could extend over the garage consider using g SIPS material. Porch knock it down extend to garage with an uber modern glazing solution top to bottom. Again change the garage door something uber modern. I guess you can't fit a car in there well and current t filling it with stuff, divide the garage 2/3 therefore having a conventional room with plenty of storage, pop in a floating floor (don't forget the air brick) plaster and knock door through to main house and it will add valuable living space and increase the value of your property (if you're leasehold ensure you engage with freeholder for change of use). trick is don't fight with the house go with it , good luck

• karenharris21
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Brilliant Jenny, thank you, I think the key is definitely not to fight it, we did discuss changing the garage use too and maybe updating porch to something like the ones in the photo.
  • Kurtis Rogers
    hace 8 años
    As you're taking the roof off anyway. I would take down the side wall and rebuild with a timber frame. This could then be super insulated with modern materials and insulated plasterboard inside and faced with either modern weatherboarding or rendered to match what I assume is an extension over the garage.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

There is no room to put external insulation on ( your pic 3 ), it's too close to the downstairs front window, which is why it has been built as thin as it is. One of the only options ( in order to have a proper insulated porch is to knock it down, remove the lounge window and change for a smaller one, then re-build the porch, moving it's footprint across to the left as you look at it., and forward in line with the garage. ( Hope that makes sense! ). This will then enable you to have it as wide as you like to incorporate a much nicer, wider front door.

I would also put the pitched roof right across and render the whole house. By the way, if the budget doesn't stretch to new windows, you can have the old ones colour bonded at a fraction of the price in virtually any colour you like.

• PRO
    Clever And Simple
    hace 8 años

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with man about the house. External render systems start with an insulation thickness of 20mm (plus the thickness of the render (10mm) and the render backing board 10mm). Here is some technical info from Kingspan on their system (pg.3)- http://www.kingspaninsulation.co.uk/kins_cms/media/media.global/Optim-R-Ext-Wall-System-1st-Issue-July-13.pdf

Obviously, the thicker the insulation you can get in, the better it will be.

As others have said, a SIPS (Structural Insulated Panel System) maybe an option as these will be thinner than a cavity wall. You would probably need a structural engineer and architect to help with this though unless the SIPS panel manufacturers can help.

http://www.kingspantimbersolutions.co.uk/product-portfolio/sips/

If you did bring the front door forward, would you keep the side window or use a Velux in your new pitched roof to bring in the light? With that, you could insulate the whole side wall and in the roof too.

I hope this helps,

Peter

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Agree with Clever and Simple's dimensions, however, on looking at your 3rd pic, i'm still not convinced there's that much space between the porch and the window frame. It would be very tight. Looks about 30mm-40mm tops.

Difficult to tell without precise measurements.

If you go on to the Government's planning portal, it outlines the minimum depths required for internal and external insulation. According to their requirements the minimum for external is 50mm-100mm. Government planning portal.

So, i'll stick to earlier comment of probably not enough room, due to the proximity of the front window.

• karenharris21
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you all for your comments, it's definitely helped us make a decision on a lot of things, we really appreciate it. Karen
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.