Houzz Logo Print
nana0011

What is your opinion of a flat roof on a screened in porch?

nana0011
hace 11 años
The contractors I have talked to about an addition on my home of a screened porch discourage a flat roof. Because of windows on the second floor of our all brick home, my only other alternative is to reduce the size of a window or eliminate a window completely. I see many pictures of beautiful additions utilizing a flat roof. Why am I being discouraged?

Comentarios (15)

• PRO
    Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
    hace 11 años
    I have no idea why you are being discouraged. Is your area notorious for heavy snow load? Flat roofs can look great. Post a picture if you dont mind, I'm curious
  • addisonlynch
    hace 11 años
    I'm planning on a flat roof screen porch with balcony above it. But I haven't talked to my contractor yet. Hope It's not a problem because I have my heart set on it. Their are so many pictures, good luck.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    hace 11 años
    I don't know why your contractor is discouraging you but I know they are more expensive than a regular roof. He might be afraid of call-backs because of leaking or because he's never done one before. You might be able to work with another contractor that specializes in flat roofs or who has had more experience with them, for that part of the job if you are comfortable with the contractor you have for everything else.
  • feeny
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    Our screened porch had a flat-style roof, and then when we replaced it with an addition, the addition has a flat-style roof. We have a brick house with a pitched slate roof on the rest of the house and live in midwest snow country. I don't know of any reason you shouldn't have a flat roof.
  • PRO
    The L.A. Lady
    hace 11 años
    Yea, your contractor might not have experience with them if (s)he's discouraging them. Homes have been built with flat roofs for years. They do require more maintenance but if its for a sun porch, I don't see the problem

I mentioned on an earlier list that screened in porches are one of my all-time favorite features, so I want to see pics when you're done!
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    hace 11 años
    For one thing it's not a flat roof........no contractor in his right mind would build a "flat roof". It's either a minimum pitched or low pitched roof.. Second off, maybe he has no experience with a minimum pitched or low pitched roof and if this is the case you don't want him experimenting on your house ..... do you? Thirdly......where are you located? Some areas just don't lend themselves to minimum pitched roofs.........I wouldn't recommend it if say you lived in Alaska or Northern Canada with snow fall measured in feet instead of inches..............
  • dbh
    hace 11 años
    S. Thomas Kutch: Our house was built in 1927, and I don't know-- our balcony roofs sure seem flat to me. *Maybe* there's a slight pitch to them, but not to the naked eye. After heavy rains, water definitely sits and pools on them. We've had them repaired since living here -- covered in this rubber type membrane, which seems to be excellent stuff-- but isn't this the issue with a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright-designed homes? That wonderful wide horizontal look required a lot of flat roofs-- which caused innumerable problems (?). Maybe now, no contractor would build one, but we have 3 on our house, and I can tell they required substantial repair/resurfacing when we moved in, and now annual inspections, for sure.
  • feeny
    hace 11 años
    Here's an article from This Old House on different types of flat roofs and roofing materials:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,1110914,00.html

The flat roof on our small addition (formerly screened porch) has a 20 year warranty and we've had no problems with it, no maintenance issues (it's seven years old).
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    hace 11 años
    We've built "flat" roofs many times, in snow country and here in CA. Roof loads are actually part of the code in snow country design, so structural work must handle the live and dead loads associated with casual foot traffic and snow. There are numerous strategies for dealing with water from variable pitches (where we "wave" the roof structure to direct water to scuppers in parapet walls) to simple low pitches shedding water into a continuous gutter. Scribing and installing floating deck structures on these roofs is challenging...but it's all been done before. I think the most challenging aspect is the handrail or decorative balustrade on a flat roof. Structurally we are often required to penetrate the roof membrane to make the handrail strong enough. No call backs thus far!

It does appear that your contractor has a crisis of confidence. I did a few of these as a journeyman, working for others...now my crew talks about "the one down south we did, are we going to do it like that?"
  • PRO
    Grimmett Contracting
    hace 11 años
    I'm against any flat roof if you can avoid it, just due the life of it. In my experience they always have trouble sooner than shingled roofing. Just my opinion...
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    hace 11 años
    I don't know any code that will allow a "flat roof" ( as in 0:12), which is a true flat roof. For that matter I don't know of a single manufacturer that will provide a warranty for a 0:12 pitch for their products. Reading the fine print, they all require the transference of water off the roof, even if at a minimum pitch of 1/8:12., ergo you don't have a flat roof, we have a minimum pitched roof...........I know we call them flat roofs, but they aren't flat, they are minimum pitched or low pitched.

Yes, it's semantics...........but the next thing ya'll be telling me is there is such a thing as a footer........it's a footing for lawd's sake................:)
  • feeny
    hace 11 años
    A hobbyhorse perhaps?
  • dbh
    hace 11 años
    S. Thomas Kutch: :) Very funny.

Sounds like people are just smarter these days about how to go about building "flat" roofs. I like Ironwood Builders' strategies he describes. I feel sure that no one in 1927 was doing this. Hence, expensive membranes installed. I think the only reason ours might "pitch" at all is because of old age (sagging). ;)
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    hace 11 años
    Steel roof can be no less than a 1/12 pitch because of drainage issues but that's not exactly living space. Here's an article about making flat roofs that explain drainage.

http://www.roofireland.com/how_parapet_flat_roofs_are_made.htm
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.