Houzz Logo Print
williaks

Stumped by breakfast nook - tried many ideas and nothing has clicked!

williaks
hace 8 años

We have an area adjacent to our kitchen that is 7 foot by 9 foot. It has a cathedral ceiling covered in beadboard with an arched window, and four additional windows which makes it light and inviting. Next to this space is a small 4 by 4 entry to our porch. We can't decide what this area should be. We have tried a rectangle table, a round table, even a garden bench. I've toyed with the idea of a banquette but can't seem to get the design right. We have a breakfast bar with 4 seats that we use for our daily meals. Now I'm thinking of two upholstered chairs with a tall secretary between the windows that we'd use for a sitting area but it seems like we are not capitalizing on this cute space. Our home is cottage style. Help, please!

Comentarios (24)

• christyjsmith
    hace 8 años

Here is an interesting banquette blog that might be helpful to you: http://eyefordesignlfd.blogspot.ca/2013/01/decorating-with-banquettes.html

williaks agradeció a christyjsmith
  • acm
    hace 8 años

It is cute, but also tight. If you don't need it for eating, then to me it sort of calls out cozy sitting porch. I'd put a love seat on the right wall, under the windows, and a comfy chair on the left corner facing it, with an end table and lamp between them. Maybe a bookcase where you have your overflow kitchen storage (or a taller piece with open books above and closed kitchen stuff below. Cozy pillows and rug, to make it a companionable place to sit, alone, with a pal, or while cooking is going on nearby...

SCREENED-IN PORCH · Más información

Farmhouse Reinterpreted · Más información

Newhall Addition · Más información

S

Lo-Hi Residence · Más información

econd choice would be an L-shaped banquette along the back and right sides, with a rectangular table and a couple extra chairs or not. You could even work some storage underneath the benches.

Two Time Award Winning Kitchen · Más información

Efficient Modern Kitchen · Más información

williaks agradeció a acm
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

The best thing about this space is the windows. I wouldn't put anything tall in here, and definitely not a secretary desk between windows.

Do you need the storage space you get from the baker's racks? Because they make the space seem cluttered. Would you like to keep the dog beds here? I'm guessing the doggies want to stay.

I adore the poster you have hanging between the windows. I'd use that as a starting point for decor, after you've decided how you want to actually use the room.

williaks agradeció a groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

I'd also remove any artwork hanging above doors and windows. It just doesn't belong there. Bring it all down to eye level.

• leelee
    hace 8 años

Something like one of these would be great there (if doggies don't object too much).

williaks agradeció a leelee
  • PRO
    williaks agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PadiSeeb
    hace 8 años

I almost thought of a small library getaway with open bookshelves or furniture up to the windows.

williaks agradeció a PadiSeeb
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años

Hand made Gothic Kitchen · Más información

williaks agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • potter99
    hace 8 años
    You have a lot of great suggestions- but I'll add my first thought. I can see this as a great lounging area with a simple plywood constructed wall to wall "daybed" slightly shy of the depth of the wall with the mirror. I too love your poster, so first choose one of the spicy colours to paint that wall. Then just trim and paint out the plywood bench bed - support as needed but keep it open underneath for the doggies' mats or baskets. Choose a solid vibrant cover for "mattress" then go crazy with pillows of pattern and colours inspired by your poster. I'm sure it would be a favourite cozy spot to read or wait for a pot to boil - you'd still have space for your small table off to the side where you have the second shelf. It'd be a good doggy snuggling spot too.
    williaks agradeció a potter99
  • PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

I would change it to a reading nook with comfy chairs. It can be the spot you drink tea or coffee in in the morning and/or have company sit and relax while dinner is being made, etc.

williaks agradeció a User
  • Terri Henderson
    hace 8 años

It would make a lovely sitting area. Also I love your ceiling. I want my ceilings upstairs to look exactly like this.

williaks agradeció a Terri Henderson
  • PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    hace 8 años

Adorable! I would make it a sitting/sun room/ reading nook!

williaks agradeció a S Mistry Interiors
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

I could cry, but I won't. I just spent a prodigious amount of time emptying your room and bringing in new furniture and thought, I'll just change this color before I save. Well, if that isn't an invitation to crash, I don't know what is.

I actually didn't crash, but since Photoshop has spent the last two hours spinning the beach ball, I'm just gonna tell you what I'd do. If you need storage, or even if you don't, I think you could use a vintage painted sideboard under the side windows. Dog beds might go underneath. Then two comfy chairs with ottoman and side table under the double windows, and that is enough for this space.

Painted Side Unit by RestorationandRevive on Etsy · Más información

• Valerie Gorman
    hace 8 años
    Maybe another possibility would be to create an L-shaped banquette from wall to wall and around the corner that has no door with cubbies underneath for baskets or books. Lots of pretty throw pillows. Then at the corner of the L you could put your round table so that if you wanted to lounge with a place to put your coffee and a crossword you have the table there to do that. It would allow 3 people to eat there easily if you needed it but it wouldn't be limited to that.
    williaks agradeció a Valerie Gorman
  • williaks
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

groveraxle, oh I feel your pain re the spinning balls. Your idea really resonates though. We have a petite shabby chic sideboard that could work. Thank you for your hard work and great suggestions. The puppies appreciate not giving up their corners, too!

• PRO
    Allegiance Construction & Development, LLC
    hace 8 años

I agree with your idea of a banquette, it would be the best use of the space, most usable long term and can even have great storage inside (under?). No how to complete? I always like to see a beadboard finish in that area; seems to make it feel "Homey". And it can be accomplished with a good carpenter for not a bunch of money. Then you go find or have sewn, the cushions for it, in the colors you want. Good luck !

williaks agradeció a Allegiance Construction & Development, LLC
  • PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    hace 8 años

A pair of wicker chairs and accessories.

• Valerie Gorman
    hace 8 años
    Banquette* (ugh)
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Thanks, williaks. If you have a cool vintage sideboard already, that could work. I finally force quit my program, so your room is lost. But I'd chosen some lovely wicker chairs and was in the process of coloring the cushions red to go with your great art. ;-(

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

It didn't take so long this time because I made the dog get out and I didn't try to save your plant; I just replaced it with one I had on hand. And this sideboard is pretty rough--a craigslist bargain, y'know--but slap on a coat of paint and it'll look great.

Hand-painted Distressed Black and Antique White Finish Accent Table - 15130139 - · Más información

• PRO
    HK Design and Construction Services
    hace 8 años
    Do you need a work space for you or kids?
  • amherstcottage
    hace 8 años
    You have said your decor style is cottage, so I am going to support the daybed idea for your room. It will offer a different type of seating than what you already have for eating. It will also bring depth and texture into the room with pillows and linens, and invites people to spend time enjoying the room. A metal daybed is cottage style, and there are many inexpensive ones at Hayneedle, Target, or Amazon.
    williaks agradeció a amherstcottage
  • acm
    hace 8 años

I think the day bed suggestion may be getting at what I was imagining when I said love seat -- something small but welcoming, that makes the space one you want to linger in for reading, coffee, or just to enjoy the sun. (And don't you change the yellow and white! so great.)

Traditional Kids · Más información

Redesign in Rancho Penasquitos · Más información

Private Residence, Lake Geneva, WI · Más información
    oh! I want a nook like this so much!! all our spaces look inward...

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.