Houzz Logo Print
dmcedorn

need help for my table project

dmcedorn
hace 8 años

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with Amy Howard's One Step Paint? I recently used her products to redo 2 of my vanities and a picture frame. I LOVE this product so much because of not needing to sand before painting, and the ease of adding that distressed look. My question is about my kitchen table. It was top to bottom honey oak. I stained the top using General Finishes Java gel stain. Still needs another coat or 2 but coming along. The base of my table I used Amy Howard Paint (linen). I used the light and dark wax over it to distress it, but was wondering if I could use General Finishes Top Coat to give the base a little bit of a shine. I just wasn't sure if it would work over the wax?

Comentarios (3)

• PRO
    General Finishes Corporation
    hace 8 años

GF does not recommend using topcoat over wax. In general, GF professionals don't endorse the use of wax. From personal experience, they explain that nothing adheres well to wax, and once you use it, the wood grain can become contaminated. That means that the wax sinks into the wood, making future paint or stain finishes or touch ups difficult or impossible. Even though there is internet chatter about removing wax with 3rd party products or mineral spirits, the risk of a failure in re-coating over a wax finish is very high. Wax also is not as durable as our Top Coats, it needs annual maintenance, and it shows finger prints, etc. Since GF has not done any testing to predict how our Topcoat and the Amy Howard brand of waxes work together, we recommend testing a hidden part of your project first if you decide to go ahead.

-General Finishes

dmcedorn agradeció a General Finishes Corporation
  • dmcedorn
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Your response came a little too late, and I gave it a shot. It actually came out really nice. I just used one thin coat to give it just a little shine. It dried fine. I'm loving your products btw. I used the Java gel stain on my oak banister, table top, and the seats of my chairs. It looks really nice. I also tried a liming wax to give the table the look I wanted. I was surprised that it's very smooth to the touch and not at all sticky. I still my get some glass to put over the table just to protect everything. Oh and I used the top coat over the Amy Howard paint too with no problem. (the last photo is a before pic)

• PRO
    General Finishes Corporation
    hace 8 años

Your table turned out awesome! We hope to see more projects from you in the future!

-General Finishes

dmcedorn agradeció a General Finishes Corporation
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.