Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6345739

Need exterior color scheme and curb appeal for ranch-style home

User
hace 8 años

We're buying a home perched on a mountain with incredible lake views. My dilemma is the exterior. It is a basic ranch style house in need of curb appeal. My taste leans toward white farmhouses with metal roofs, black shutters, and black or aqua front doors.

The two small bathroom windows are set in framed columns and the window 'trim' around them is just painted on. The arbor is not to my taste but the wood posts are set directly in the concrete patio so removal would create another problem. In terms of color, I would prefer a warm grey but I don't mind the main house color (plus hubby doesn't want to spend the $ to paint when it doesn't need it). However, I really dislike the muddy trim color and door color. I also don't care for the concrete patio color/style or flagstone porch step, and the palm trees just don't make sense in the Northern California mountains. I appreciate any suggestions.

Comentarios (8)

• User
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I do like the idea of shutters and the green is pretty. I can't figure out how we would mount shutters to have them look right since the windows/columns jut out from the house. I hadn't considered terracing the front...we currently have a courtyard and will miss it so that's a nice option we'll look out. For white trim, would you suggest pure white like the vinyl windows or some sort of creamier white?

• PRO
    John Stapleton
    hace 8 años
    There's a house in this view?

I would be so focused out back I'd be looking around, over, and past the house. Which is not a bad thing! Amazing view.
  • tatts
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Yeah, what John said. The pergola is okay, but I do dislike the concrete front patio and entry stoop and the way the garage dominates the front of the house (that's the worst problem).

OTOH, I'd be out back all day with my back to the house counting my blessings.

• miacometlady
    hace 8 años
    Find a farmhouse you love- or several - learn what features you r drawn to and find an architect/ designer!
  • emmarene9
    hace 8 años

It looks like a nice house and a nice location, congratulations. The previous owner must have been attracted to a very busy look.

I agree about the trim color and would paint it white. Ideally, I would paint the middle trim in the door the same color as the door. That might mean repainting the door though, so white will be fine.

It is a matter of personal taste, I hate most Palms. Some of them volunteer freely and can be a nuisance. I would cut them down as soon as possible. You will have to kill the stumps as they will resprout. (Can you tell I have experience?) There are better low water trees that you could plant. What zone are you in?

The arbor seems useless. It does not add decorative value and it is not possible to grow plants on it. It is easy enough to ignore, so that is what I would do. Maybe it will seem more useful after living with it. I feel the same way about the flagstone stoop. I don't care for it but it is benign. I would try to ignore it for now too.

The one thing I would have to change is the hardscape next to the house. I need foundation shrubs. For me to have no planting beds would be unthinkable. I would need to hire someone with a concrete saw to make some beds for me. If you can break up the concrete and haul it away yourself it will be less expensive. This is also something I have done. It is very dirty work so I understand why people who can afford to hire others to do it.

• User
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Emmarene, I like your idea of planting beds. What material and/color would you suggest we use to wrap them (stone, brick, same siding and color as the house)? Would you run a planting bed along the whole length of the house? The planting zone is 9a (temps can dip into the 20s in the winter, up to 90s-100 in the heat of summer).

• tatts
    hace 8 años

It's not an arbor! It's a pergola. Pergolas are for shade, hence the vertical slats, not growing plants (although you can).

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.