Houzz Logo Print
tracyfields

Kitchen backsplash...help me decide! Subway or glass?

Tracy Fields
hace 11 años
Which do you like best, the subway tile or the glass? I'm trying to decide between the 2 samples! I like both styles. I want a look that will last your years. Thoughts or suggestions? PLEASE
Subway tile
Glass tile

Comentarios (46)

• becplatts
    hace 11 años
    the glass tile looks nice with your counter top - same shine - the subway tile is timeless but has a matte finish look
  • User
    hace 11 años
    Última modificación: hace 11 años
    I like facets of both your choices. I think that the subway tile style is timeless and would go well with your cabinet style. However, think the glass tile color goes better with your counter and cabinets. I would consider a glass subway tile in a taupe color drawn from your counters.
  • PRO
    VersaCourt
    hace 11 años
    The glass tile gives your kitchen a more classic look. Love it can't wait to see your finished project!
  • Patty Eades
    hace 11 años
    I also like the glass tile........would also like to see more of your room...good luck....
  • PRO
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    hace 11 años
    Feeny, I was for subway, but you are absolutely right. This particular glass tile makes the kitchen look fresh.
  • Tracy Fields
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks for all the feedback! I think, see there I go again, I think, I'm leaning towards the glass. I do like the color of the glass verses the subway color. Does any have a great website for glass subway tile? I think I'm making this too complicated, my husband says JUST PICK ONE!!! Easily stated!
  • dwairey
    hace 11 años
    Your counter is busy so go with the subway as they are simple
  • Darzy
    hace 11 años
    I vote subway, but in the color of the glass tile.
  • PRO
    Dezign Studio Inc
    hace 11 años
    Glass tiles , as the color and sheen is perfect, although subway in the color of glass would look great
  • Janet Perry
    hace 11 años
    glass tiles, gives the space a clean and contemporary look that will be timeless.
  • Jamal Anderson
    hace 11 años
    glass tiles are beautiful.
  • Mike Severson
    hace 11 años
    Because the counter is so busy and creating such a bold texture I would suggest the subway tile. It's clean and neater, leaving the slab to be the star that it is! Best of luck to you!
  • Tracy Fields
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thanks everyone!
  • User
    hace 11 años
    Modwalls has a lot of glass subway tile if you're still looking for a website
  • PRO
    Peggy Odita-Hodel Interior Design
    hace 11 años
    Love the look of the subway tile but you need to find something closer to the color of the glass tile for sure. The subway you have chosen is too stark for the look of the granite. Good luck and happy hunting!
  • DIAspoton
    hace 11 años
    you can't go wrong with eithe but i'd go for a larger subway with a light grout to keep it from looking busy.
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    regardless of the outcome, you need the larger.....professionally speaking WHY have all those little pieces with all that gride of lines.....PS, paint your cabinets before you install the back splash!!!!
  • Kelly
    hace 11 años
    I vote glass
  • carolq2
    hace 11 años
    Great for ideas.....glasstilestore.com
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    look at the over all not just the little tile.....the small tile doesnt make a statement of any kind other than ...I'm small
  • Tracy Fields
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    How about WHITE subway glass with my granite and use a creamy grout? or is that a BIG fat No? Do I need to stay with cream colored tile? Any suggestions? Thanks everyone!
  • williamson2of6
    hace 11 años
    Tracy, what color is your granite?
  • Tracy Fields
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    I'll post some more pictures. Mixture of colors: creams, brown, black, grays and hints if white. The granite name is Napoli.
  • User
    hace 11 años
    No. I don't think the white goes with your dark cabinets or the mid level of darkness of your granite counters. I would go with either a gray or cream. Not sure if you are thinking of painting your cabinets white, but if you were, I would go with gray. But either gray or cream would work with the counters and the cabinets. Would definitely pull from the counters per a tile color, since you already have so many colors in the existing granite. However, it depends on your flooring as well and other colors you'll be using in your room and adjoining visible rooms. What color are your floors?
  • Tracy Fields
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Floors are hardwood
  • Rachael
    hace 11 años
    Hi- I am debating my backsplash and posted earlier. I like the subway tile look because it is classics so I think you should do glass subway tiles to get the modern look of glass but the timeless of subway. I am leaning towards a color in the granite. I just got the pricing for glass it is more expensive then I thought:). Good luck. I Agee it is a hard decision it has taken me 4 years to even try and pick one.
  • User
    hace 11 años
    Taupe, gray or cream. Might want to try a taupe because it could pull from the gray, cream and different wood tones - as well as checking out the cream and gray.
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    It's not that difficult....call it like you see it and don't look back.......
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    this is actually not a materials question as much as a size and color decision
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    with the granite shown one can find that in 12" x 12" and could use it as a matching back splash to the counter top. Turn the 12 x 12 on an angle and you should get 17+" and that will fill in the space between the counters and the upper cabinets
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    full height granite counter tops are always IN if that is something you are concerned with considering
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    FYI the glass is just tooooo white
  • nasmijati
    hace 11 años
    How much grout do you want to wash?
    I would investigate the idea of having the backsplash made out of the same granite as the countertop, as Gary Finley suggested.
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    don't worry about about the trendie stuff......work on the big picture. Often the reason choices are so difficult is due to the reality that there is not best choices from what is being considered......
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    I would never ask the GP for to determine my future
  • iamgone
    hace 11 años
    I like the glass; but I think your color is off, it just seems to fade out with your counter-top!
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    be unique........
  • Tracy Fields
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    How about this look? Looking at the backsplash. Not the same granite but similar.

http://houzz.com/photos/378357
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    hace 11 años
    nice, however notice the lines........ if they where set at a 45 degree angle the 12 x 12 tile would form diamonds
  • Tracy Fields
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Gary do you think it would be posssibe to make this size tile work in my space, the tile is 8x20. The tile on the right has a streaky, almost wood grain running through it but all the lines are straight not circular. (not sure about the color of this tile once I got it home) The left tile has a texutre look almost like burlap. I have 18 inches in between counter and cabine., behind stove I have 24 inches but will be partly covered by range. Also found a ceramic tile that has a crackled aged look...tile size would be 3x6. Any thoughts? I'm stuck on the subway look. Posting pictures below
  • Tracy Fields
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Pictures of tiles!
  • Tracy Fields
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    http://houzz.com/photos/1463414

Similar look I suppose!
  • Tracy Fields
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Comparing tile size that is!
  • User
    hace 11 años
    The tile samples that you showed look a bit light to me against the dark color of the cabinets. Perhaps something darker and more like a taupe. Saw these and they looked a bit like the tiles in your Hilltop House inspiration pic, as examples of possible choices that might work:

http://theglassmosaicoutlet.com/champagne-toast-subway-glass

http://www.mosaictilesupplies.com/redux-recycled-glass-subway-tile-sticks-stonesre36-1479.aspx

oh sorry, just reread your comments and saw where you noted you were interested in which size of the tiles. I like the smaller gray one better.
  • PRO
    Hamilton Tile, LLC - Woodstock, GA
    hace 6 años

Don't forget about the added cost of glass tile installation. Much more of a technical installation and ANSI and NTCA standards need to be followed.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.