Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_baker68

Is this painting too large?

Jennifer Baker
hace 8 años

What do you think about the size of this painting for the room? Is it too big?

There will eventually be a large beige Bokhara sitting under the furniture (fully under with all legs on), and then a small baby grand piano in front of the bay window. I feel like the painting is overwhelming and the rug and piano are just going to make it worse.

Here's a wide shot so you can see the wall between the hallway and living room is removed...please disregard the awkward beam!

Thoughts?

Comentarios (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

I think a rug with some colors from the painting would help balance it out

• Jennifer Baker
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I could move the painting in between the sconces if it's too ridiculous on the fireplace.

• auntthelma
    hace 8 años

I wondered if it would fit between the sconces.

If you use the fireplace, you wouldn't want a valuable painting above it.

• Jennifer Baker
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Ha, it's not valuable so that's why it's there ;). I should have taped it off I guess. I just can't decide if it works or not.

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    hace 8 años

I think that more than size: the style of the painting doesn't fit the room.

everything else is so clean and traditional- unless your area rug brings in some color to make it look more uniform.

Jennifer Baker agradeció a Sativa McGee Designs
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    hace 8 años

Or like this photo: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/29/0c/e2/290ce2618e741e63b8f1cdcfab2e7f6c.jpg

Where they pull a color out of the artwork onto one of the chairs and give the art a reason to be apart of the room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

Painting is not too large. I agree a rug would help & a few decorative pillows on the sofa. Center coffee table on fireplace.

• PRO
    Hunt Studio Design
    hace 8 años

Ugg, so subjective eh?? Lovely room too. Personally I love the painting and the size of it right where it is. In terms of an area rug, you can still use a neutral color if thats your jam, just add some cushions with color. The thing about a persian type area rug is that it will make the room look super traditional, if thats your goal do it but if you want a less trad look use a wool sisal or geometric print on the carpet....just my 2 cents.

• decoenthusiaste
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I prefer art above a mantel to be no wider than the firebox opening for balance. Try it between the sconces with the center point of the art 5' above the floor. If you put it above any furniture, the furniture should be 25% wider than the art, and hang with bottom frame 5" above the furniture.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    hace 8 años

Love you space! Very refreshing to see a room with a tv these days! So I think your art is sized perfectly and all you need is a rug.

Here are a few options:

Jennifer Baker agradeció a RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • Jennifer Baker
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

OMG, thank you RugKnots! That is really helpful.

• PRO
    Shannon Gedey, AIA, LEED BD+C
    hace 8 años

Painting is the wrong size because it is so-close-but-not-quite-the-same-as the fireplace size. It gives the impression that you tried to match the fireplace but missed the mark. A smaller painting, or even something less square (maybe a shapely vase with big leafy blooms) would give you the same color effect without competing visually.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    hace 8 años

I just realized you said that there will be a Bokhara under the couches. Do you already have the Bokhara?

• Jennifer Baker
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Okay, I think I'll just hang it between the sconces and see what I think. A little hole in the wall won't hurt much!

And I think you guys are right about bringing the colors in elsewhere to see if I can get it to make more sense in the room. I let my husband pick the painting but I've chosen everything else, so that's where the disconnect is coming from...though I do like traditional rooms with modern art so I was hoping it would work.

• Jennifer Baker
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

RugKnots, a Bokhara has been ordered so we'll see how it goes.

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    hace 8 años

I'm excited to see! Bokharas are wonderful!

• Jennifer Baker
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

RugKnots, I know what you mean! I was disappointed I couldn't find more photos of them in actual usage online.

• Sally Forth
    hace 8 años

I like the picture above the fireplace and think the size is fine. A room that's letter-perfect is boring. Your room has pizazz.

• Jennifer Baker
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

You know....since it's not a precious painting, I could consider cutting it down...

Is that sacrilege?

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

This is what one of our Bokharas looks like...You'll definitely need some more color in your space with pillows or some accents on the coffee table

Jennifer Baker agradeció a RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    hace 8 años

Before cutting it-try rotating it and leaning it against the fireplace wall. With the blue up near the ceiling.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.