Houzz Logo Print
jp_caudill

Crape Myrtle Purchase Advice

JP Caudill
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

Hello,
I am looking to purchase three Crape Myrtle trees that will be planted in a grassy area between a sidewalk and street. What I'm ultimately looking for is something that will have a nice single trunk, grows fairly upright and stays somewhat compact or at least doesn't weep too extremely at the canopy, and will grow pretty fast. And also I'm looking for something that has a nice deep purple, or pink to dark pink/fuscia kind of color with a great bark and decent trunk size. It seems like all the varieties I like the most (for example Twilight or Powhatan) can get very tall. I probably wouldn't want them getting any higher than around 16' because I fear they will look out of place.
I'm told you really can control the height and shape of most upright Crape Myrtle trees pretty easily but I could definitely use some advice on how true this is and if there are other varieties I should look into. My has a lot of new construction - mostly duplex style houses with vinyl siding and all pretty close to each other. My goals in planting these is to break up the vinyl monotony and also shield myself from it a bit. I'd rather look out my window and see a few nice trees!
Thanks in advance.

Comentarios (15)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    hace 8 años

JP, I love CM's. Colorful leaves and late summer flowers. Up here they are borderline perennials. Mine die nearly to the ground almosy every year then come back as vigorous as ever. Mine will never be tree like here and I wanna make sure u aren't in a similar location.

Did you say where you are? Like nearest big city and climate zone?

• JP Caudill
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi - thanks! I'm in Virginia Beach which is Zone 8. You see Crape Myrtle's everywhere here and they definitely don't go anywhere during the Winter - the leaves just drop off until the following Spring.

• User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I think crapes will look wonderful there. Have a reputable, local nursery help you choose exactly what you need. Take your picture to show them. You can easily find the size you need, in order not to be tempted to crown them later.

I have six crapes in my yard, these two are different varieties that I bought 12 yrs ago, both were single trunk in the pot. The second pic is a large shrub variety that I train as a multi-trunk tree. I just snap shoots off as I see them. I'm sorry I don't remember their names, but they're common varieties most nurseries carry. All three of these stay under 16 ft. I wish I could remember the exact name of the one on the right (first pic)--I think it would be ideal for your plan.

JP Caudill agradeció a User
  • JP Caudill
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for your feedback! The local nurseries are good but the thing I don't like in general is there isn't a huge amount of selection. That is why I'm trying to solicit a little feedback because I'll likely end up ordering them. That and I'd like to get them in the ground sooner than later and the nurseries here won't start having them until early May. Yours look very nice! Especially like the color of the shrub you trained. Something like that in a single or at least fairly compact multi-trunk would be nice!

• User
    hace 8 años

Looking at your pic again, my concern would be width, and how much they'll grow past the bed line. All of my crapes drip with a sappy substance, so that's something to consider regarding vehicles parked there. I can't tell how narrow the bed is, but just wanted to point out that they can be messy over concrete. This one is how I know (it gets very messy over my driveway)--

• JP Caudill
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

My understanding is that Crape Myrtles are often confused with producing sap when there is an aphid infestation. I believe it's coined "honey dew" and it's basically excrement from the aphids. I know some varieties are more susceptible than others.

• User
    hace 8 años

Yes, that's what is is ... it's very sticky and I've not had much luck controling it. I've tried soaps, etc. Anyway, just something to consider. They're still worth it to me, I love crapes.

• JP Caudill
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks! I will keep my eyes on for varietals that are more resistant. It seems those aphids don't like extreme heat. They will have a shock here in the summer :)

• User
    hace 8 años

I'm in Texas, ours must have evolved as heat loving. :D

Hope you'll post "after" pics, I'd like to see! My last house had a narrow planting strip in between the sidewalk and driveway, I had three crape trees with Asian Ivy filling the beds. Really loved how it looked. Are you going to plant other things with yours, or keep what you have there?

• JP Caudill
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

The one you see in between the driveway and the sidewalk I'm going to leave alone - I like that. It's the grassy patch between the sidewalk and street that I'm planning on the trees - 3 of them spaced at 10' (for reference my lot is about 40' from the mailbox to the neighbors and the house is about 32-34' at the highest peak). For now I plan to leave the grass between them but as things fill in maybe I'll change my mind. I don't want to invest too much into this area because technically it's a city easement and if they need to do some utility work they'll rip it all out at my expense. I am at least using trees they have approved in this use.

• User
    hace 8 años

Oh, I read it wrong, sorry about that! That'll be a great spot for crapes.

• JP Caudill
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Not a problem! It can easily be confused the way the landscape is laid out. Basically I'm on a grass eliminating mission :)

• theyardbird
    hace 8 años

Checkout the selections developed by Carl Whitcomb HERE

• PRO
    CrapeMyrtleGuy
    hace 7 años

Over 20 varieties of crape myrtle trees available. Check out updated list at Crape Myrtle Guy

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.