Houzz Logo Print
kleighj

Critique Our Landscaping Design

kleighj
hace 8 años

My husband and I have a blank slate for landscaping, since our house was a foreclosure:

A local nursery sketched a design for us, which I've replicated below:

Background:

• Sun: The house faces north.
  • Animals: Lots of deer
  • We would like to cover/disguise the siding below the bottom front windows as much as possible (will be painted a different color eventually).
  • We are open to making the front landscaping any shape. We recently put down mulch, but the placement was not strategic.
  • Long-term, we envision adding a portico over the doorway.

What do you think of the design? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Comentarios (9)

• emmarene9
    hace 8 años

Here goes. I do not like the location of the Buckthorn but I can't say why. The holly and boxwood are fine. They will require regular pruning to stay below the window height.

I would rather see perennial groundcover in front of the boxwood. I dislike the curvy bed shapes.

I wonder if the flowers might be better on the right side of the path. There is more room on that side.

Most importantly, I would like to see a new path with a more graceful curve and a wider width.

kleighj agradeció a emmarene9
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

You'd be better off to move the 'Jane' Magnolia farther from the house. It doesn't have sufficient room to develop and make the statement I think you are trying to make. It's best if you don't pinch off the approach to the entrance with plantings. Actually, the walk is VERY narrow. It would be better if it was wider, which could be done by adding a brick solider course to each side, or by replacing the whole walk. At least the portion near the stoop needs widening. I'm suggesting a bed line that doesn't swoop outward as it approaches the walk. Having it do that is a common thing these days but not a good idea. (Where the bed line intersects with the walk, it should be a 90* angle.) Presumably, at some point, you would have plantings along the side of the house. I'm showing a bed line that could accommodate that.

One tip, when you're brainstorming a landscape plan, don't use symbols for individual plants. Instead, draw outlines for plant groups. That way, the finished product will be more realistic and you'll be able to better understand the shapes you're making.

[4/8/16 edit: I didn't notice the 10' dimension earlier (cuz bold...hah!) so adjusted bed line to be not so distant from garage.]

kleighj agradeció a Yardvaark
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    hace 8 años

The deer will love the holly, and possibly the mugo pine. And if the house faces North, the coreopsis or daisies will not like the shade. The coral bells might be fine, but the deer will like them, as well as the daisies. I would consider for the perennials deer resistant/shade loving plants like Brunnera, Pulmoneria, Liriope, or, for a groundcovering shrub, if you live in zone 6 or higher, Sarcococca hookeriana var. humilis. Deer resistant, evergreen, and needs shade.

And I agree that the little bit of lawn to the left and inside the path should be part of the bed.

kleighj agradeció a laceyvail 6A, WV
  • Kim in PL (SoCal zone 10/Sunset 24)
    hace 8 años

I've never grown the plants mentioned, but when I looked up the hollies online, one website said they grow 8-10 ft. tall and 6-8 ft. wide. If that is true, you might want to choose another shrub you won't have to fight to keep from obstructing your windows.

kleighj agradeció a Kim in PL (SoCal zone 10/Sunset 24)
  • PRO
    ILT Vignocchi
    hace 8 años

I agree with the Brunnera, Pulmonaria, Astilbe for perennials. Consider filling open areas of the bed with pachysandra. It will give it a lush look. I am leery of the junipers and mugo. That's a lot going on in front of your house.

kleighj agradeció a ILT Vignocchi
  • User
    hace 8 años

looking at your dog make me think that it is better to start flowerbed on the right corner of the property. The house is beautiful and it is good to keep straight geometrical lines .

kleighj agradeció a User
  • User
    hace 8 años

kleighj agradeció a User
  • User
    hace 8 años

kleighj agradeció a User
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.