Houzz Logo Print
agmayes

Please give advice on front landscape

agmayes
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

I would like to make some changes to the landscaping around the front of my house. Everything currently there was placed by our builder. I would like some advice on what to add, remove, or replace to make it more visually appealing. located in SC

Comentarios (11)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    hace 8 años

Certainly I'd remove the shrubs on the left, between the walk and the porch and replace it with low groundcovers that will stay in that area--no groundcover junipers, for example which will rapidly outgrow the spot. Lirope might work and I'm sure there are others in your zone.

To the right, the conifer will soon outgrow the spot--it's much too close to the house. I can't tell what the other shrubs are, but I suspect they may get too large as well.

Without a full view of the front of the house, it's impossible to give any further advice, but I suspect that the plantings may be too close in to the porch to balance the size of the house.

agmayes agradeció a laceyvail 6A, WV
  • emmarene9
    hace 8 años

In the two porch beds I would plant a well behaved groundcover perennial. I would leave room in front of it for annuals. I think the pretty pink shrubs are Loropetalum and I would find a new location for them. I don't know what the front plants are but I would move them too. I am not a fan of plants randomly placed in the lawn so I would move those too. I do like your little tree. If I could see the rest of your yard I could maybe tell you where to move your plants.

agmayes agradeció a emmarene9
  • PRO
    ILT Vignocchi
    hace 8 años

I would remove all the plants. The evergreen tree specifically will outgrow the space as it will get up to 20' wide at the bottom. I would recommend a hedge of boxwoods 15-18" along the porch foundation and then complete the bed with hosta, pachysandra or some other groundcover.

agmayes agradeció a ILT Vignocchi
  • User
    hace 8 años

agmayes agradeció a User
  • User
    hace 8 años

agmayes agradeció a User
  • User
    hace 8 años

agmayes agradeció a User
  • agmayes
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you all very much for your input. I am not surprised to hear that all the plants need to be changed. I just wasn't really sure what to replace them with. This forum is a great place to get get much needed advice!!

• User
    hace 8 años

You can replace all bushes farther from the house , behind the row of evergreens.

• amelietremblay6
    hace 7 años

Hi! You can really benefit from some seasonal plantings, they can turn the place into a wonderful “green” expression of your home's beauty. I recently did some landscaping at my home and am highly satisfied with the service I received. Their experts prepared the landscape design that best suited my home. For reference, see the below picture from Landscape Structures & Designs Inc. which is the company I hired.

• l pinkmountain
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

You don't need to remove all the plants, but perhaps now is the time to move them before they get big. I don't know for sure what those red and green shrubs are along the porch, but I'll guess they are barberry and spirea or maybe forsythia or something like that. Both can be kept small with pruning but you may not want to do that. That area seems to be quite shady and when the tree grows up it will compound the problem, so I don't see those shrubs looking all that great over the long haul up against the house. Personally I would burn the barberry because where I live it is destroying the woods and creating tick infested wastelands, but that's another story . . . Small globe arborvitae or boxwoods as is pictured in Vstavay's pictures will perhaps tolerate the shade more, require less pruning but I don't know if you have a deer problem and if that will be an issue. If so, then the barberry and spirea are deer resistant, which is a plus I guess. Spirea can be hard pruned regularly to keep it small if it is already somewhat dwarfish. That juniperish thing on the corner will soon overwhelm the space so it is a good candidate for moving. Those four little soldier bushes on the left look like they could be boxwood or something else designed to grow into a low hedge, which again is a look you could maintain by pruning if you want. All of that stuff will obscure the porch somewhat, but perhaps "frame" it is just another way of putting it, so only time will tell how much you like or dislike that effect.

Edited to add that one of the classic ways to "fill in" while a plant grouping is growing is to add colorful annuals, which might help with the "welcoming" effect. You can get vines that would twine around your posts, porch boxes or planters, and things for between the shrubs to act as a border to the walk. Not sure about the light conditions there, that would play a large role in determining what will work. Even though your front entrance appears skimpy now, knowing what we know about eventual size of those shrubs, it looks overplanted in the shrub department to me, particularly along the porch to my right.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.