Houzz Logo Print
chrisbruno123

New front door doesnt look right

chrisbruno123
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

please help, we just had a dark stained door and sidelights installed on our house and it sticks out like a sore thumb. We are having hardi plank siding installed next week and will be removing the awning. We are thinking maybe a portico would help but not so sure. All advice would be appreciated.

Comentarios (52)

• saratogaswizzlestick
    hace 8 años

To me the color does not go with your roof or shutter.

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    hace 8 años

Can the door be painted? Paint does wonders for a lot of things in decor. Hopefully that's the solution. I'd do it in bright cool red. Red is known to be a welcoming color, and it will go well with your white and gray.

• gtcircus
    hace 8 años
    I agree, skip the white Hardy board. Keep the door as is.
  • Linda
    hace 8 años
    You need large black lanterns on either side of the door. What you have is too small, unbalanced and the wrong style for your beautiful door. Staying white will be lovely and keep shutters in black or almost black. Beautiful home.
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

The stained door and sidelights do not work with your white house--they
    are more appropriate for a brick Colonial or a Tudor. I would paint the
    side lights and trim white, and then the door a contrasting color, like
    red or yellow, or even black. Here are some beautiful examples of white Colonial homes similar to yours:

Colonial Revival · Más información

Farmhouse · Más información

Georgian Cottage · Más información

Princeton Restoration · Más información

• gtcircus
    hace 8 años
    Here are some color ideas for siding
  • gtcircus
    hace 8 años
    More ideas
  • gtcircus
    hace 8 años
    And the point about the sidelights being painted is correct. Either paint the sidelights or pick a color other than white for your siding. Hardy has a siding woodland cream. For whatever reason yellow based house color sells faster, hard to believe but google it.
  • tatts
    hace 8 años

That looks like full sun. If that door gets direct afternoon sun in the summer, a dark door will have problems because of heat build-up--paint peeling, wood splitting, warping.

It's not just the wrong color, it's the wrong style for that house, too. But painting it would make it look better. Paint the sidelights a color that matches the house/trim colors and the door a separate color.

• ootockalockatuvik_7a
    hace 8 años

It is too large to be a solid color. Looks like a garage door. The side panels should be white or match the siding/shudders. The door color is too dark. I don't like the striped window shade above it. Very dated look. Old Country Club look.

• gtcircus
    hace 8 años
    Woodland cream
  • leesadb
    hace 8 años

First, do you like the brown stain? It is a new door and you probably picked it because you like the stain. If you want to keep that color, then the shutters need to be painted in the same color to blend in, instead of the brown/black color clash. You then are working with 2 colors, the white and brown. If you want to keep the siding white, you need to add another color to make the house pop. I see window boxes on the upper windows. Put more below on the bottom windows and plant mainly yellow flowers. If you are not a gardener, have the boxes done at a florist, it will be worth it. Spend the money to get a beautiful wreath on that front door that contrasts with the stain. I don't know what your budget is, but a portico would be pretty, too. It always is nice to have a shelter over a front door and adds class and curb appeal. If you don't mind painting the door, I'd paint the side light panels white and the door glossy black. Continue with the filled window boxes/wreath for your color addition to the black/white color contrast. Good luck!

• PRO
    HERR window & door
    hace 8 años

My guess is you just spent a small fortune on a hand stained front door and side lites.

I have two renderings (sorry that they are crude, I am on my lap top and don't have the greatest software.

Option #1: Easy Fix

I would paint the shutters and the trim around the upper window the same colour (or colour family as the door. Maybe even update the shutters to a polyurethane product that can be stained to look like wood. Fypon has some wonderful products.

The sconces flanking the door should come down instead of going up and be about 1/3 the height of the door, (16" - 20"). They should be a statement, Hinkley lighting has some fantastic pieces that would fit the bill.

Option #2: Game Change

In my opinion, colonial homes can shift into and adapt to newer designs. Have you ever considered rock or a polyurethane rock product instead of hardy board? There are some great products from Easy Rock or Dura Rock that give the appearance of stone but are much lighter and easier to install.

This could introduce some great texture and depth to the front of the home. You could do this with or without mimicking the roof line on an optional portico. I would pull tones from the shingle colour, the shutter colour, and the door to pick the stone. I would also recommend making the front sconces larger and more of a statement.

• Suse Biggestfan
    hace 8 años

I love the idea of painting the shutters and upper window the same color as the door. Easy fix and makes the home look more uniformed.

• km kane
    hace 8 años
    Yes, you definitely need a portico!!!!! I don't necessarily agree with needing to paint the door, but I do agree the style isn't quite right. I would have chosen a door with a window, that would have matched the style of the house better. Lantern lights on either side of the door would help, too.
  • chrisbruno123
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I agree the door doesnt fit the style of the house but Id prefer to move in this direction of style. Im now leaning to redoing the sidelights in white, getting rid of the awning/windowboxes, getting new latern lights for around the door and putting up a portico.. Considering we are having new hardi plank put on we could change the color if that would look better. I dont want to introduce stone onto the front of the house. What do you guys think about this direction?

• Linda
    hace 8 años
    The portico isn't necessary but if you use that door as your main entry then it's good to have rain protection when bringing things in.
  • Kellie Reince
    hace 8 años

I agree the door color isn't the best fit for a white house, although a beautiful door! I am a fan of brick-red colored doors. If you don't prefer to paint it, maybe sand and re-stain a lighter color?

• PRO
    Adriane Shawver
    hace 8 años

Beautiful home! Door just needs to be painted. Classic red door would look great!

• PRO
    Allison Roth Creative
    hace 8 años

Beautiful house. I want! I agree with Diana Bier. Black door would be elegant and gorgeous. The striped awning seems to be adding activity as well. Maybe a fresh black or removal would help round things out. I hope you'll stay with black and white. Adding more brown details and facades is high risk in my opinion. Not as rich.

• Terri Henderson
    hace 8 años

Have you tried different Hardie siding samples around the door? I went to their site and I think the sail cloth color would look good on the house without making it look too bright. If a sample isn't enough to tell, you could get a sample of paint matched to a color that Hardie makes and then paint a larger area around the door to see how it looks. http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/james-hardie-siding-brochure-north.pdf

• eightpondfarm
    hace 8 años

it's a little too shiny. the color is fine. for me, what sticks out immediately is the striped awning on second floor over those three windows. it's attention getting and not in a good way. perhaps if you take it down and wash off the mold stains that would help.

• eightpondfarm
    hace 8 años

for me, there are just too many doo-dads. the shutters, the window boxes, that striped awning and the two porch lamps. there is a lot going on on your facade.

• dd75
    hace 8 años

She already said the awning was being removed.

• hmarney
    hace 8 años
    Your house is beautiful.
    I agree with all comments related to side lights same as house color, new larger entry sconces, removing awning and flower boxes.
    The shutters should stay. Your new door appears too shiny and not the right color. There are so many color choices so bring some samples home and let your family choose. We have a red (sundried tomato BM)and love it, the type of red will be dependent on your final choice of the main house color. Do a search on house - maybe your family likes a shade of blue or a green. Also, the door handle/hardware makes a statement as well, be sure it goes with the scale of everything else. Good luck with this!!
  • chrisbruno123
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

here is another house from town that although bigger we are thinking of moving in the direction of. Im completely fine with dark brown door with black shutters. so new window design above door, portico, white side lights. Could go with siding tint like this as well. You guys have been really helpful so far, what do you think of this? I'll keep everyone up with pics after we decide and go through with remainder of construction the next few weeks

• uptoolate
    hace 8 años

I think your house is lovely. Your siding looks perfect in the photos, is there a reason you need to change it out? Otherwise I think you could save some money and skip the hardie board. I also love the top center window as is. Do NOT paint the shutters and trim brown, the black and white is perfect for your house and the brown would look very odd like you were trying to make it look like wood but it is not going to look right. Is there a chance that the company you bought the door from would exchange it for you? If not, I definitely agree with painting the sidelights out white. The door to me is just too solid and should have some window in it with small panes mimicking the lovely traditional windows on your house. The arched top also doesn't tie in great with the style of the house when everything else is square. If you can't exchange it, I would paint the sidelights and see how you like it, if it still looks odd I would paint it black or possibly a shade of teal blue. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/106890191134682241/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/106890191134533633/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/106890191134533557/

• ontariomom
    hace 8 años

I would vote to do the siding a different colour rather than white (cream would work, but there are other options too). and then find another colour for the shutters. I am not sure they have to be brown, but I don't think black goes with the dark brown door.

I too don't imagine you would want to paint a door after choosing a stained door. The door is nice, but just doesn't play that nicely with white siding.

Carol

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 8 años

It's a beautiful Colonial, please don't do anything to fight with the style--no artificial stone! Grey siding with black shutters and a black door would look very nice.

• chrisbruno123
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

so we had the awning removed today and it immediately looks better in my opinion. Still moving forward with all the things I mentioned previously, but wanted to include a pic.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    hace 8 años

Chrisbruno123....I just read over your list of things you will be changing for the front of your home...sounds Perfect...looks so much better without awning:) you are diffently on the right track! Can't wait to see the results. I agree No Stone...large black lantern lighting will be a beautiful addition.

• Terri Henderson
    hace 8 años

It does look better, although now it has been rotated 90 degrees to the right. LOL

• emmarene9
    hace 8 años

I think a flat roof portico would look nice on your house. Here is a house with a gable like yours and a flat portico. BTW, notice the door color.

Here is another
    Also has a brown door.

I do realize the scale would be different since your porch is not as large.

• chrisbruno123
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

sorry about the pic Terry, not sure what happened there . We will be designing the portico this w/e. Thanks for the portico pics emma but for some reason I just think a pitched line of the portico will fit the house better. I need to overlay both to get a better sense.

• ontariomom
    hace 8 años

It looks great without the awning.

Carol

• chrisbruno123
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    I just wanted to include an updated picture of how the house is coming along and what we have planned for the portico. Any suggestions or opinions Id love to hear.
    ty
  • chrisbruno123
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    oh and black flower boxes are going to be back under the upper windows
  • emmarene9
    hace 7 años

Thank you for the update. I looks nice.

• tgb1
    hace 7 años

I think it looks great!

• awm03
    hace 7 años

The formal portico design and formal hanging light will make more sense of your formal door (which used to be too formal for your informal pretty house). Looking forward to seeing the results!

• User
    hace 7 años
    The style of your door does not match your home unfortunately. The curve on the top does not match your other lines of your windows.
  • emmarene9
    hace 7 años

Nicely done Chris!

• tallgrassdesign
    hace 7 años
    Well done! It looks fantastic!
  • User
    hace 7 años

Wow, what a difference, well done.

• km kane
    hace 7 años

Fabulous! Just what the house needed.

• chloebud
    hace 7 años

Beautiful!

• connie912
    hace 7 años
    So, so pretty! Thanks for letting all of us follow along and see results.
  • 1beth58
    hace 7 años
    Looks great!
  • leesadb
    hace 7 años

Love it!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.