Houzz Logo Print
imani1

Should I paint my own house?

imani1
hace 8 años
Has anyone ever painted their own two story house? We are on a budget and want to splurge on the paint and do the labor ourselves. We think we could rent a boom and handle it ourselves. Anybody tried it? Here are inpiration pics and my actual house.

Comentarios (12)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    hace 8 años

by the time you rent a sprayer, scaffolding/boom and take time off work you might not save as much money as you expect. It is very time consuming, especially since you have shutter to remove and reinstall.

• michels_jennifer
    hace 8 años
    We painted our first house...many years ago. It was a small ranch. We found the hardest and most labor intense part was the prepping. Also the most important part of course.

What does your siding look like now? Any rot damage or peeling paint?
  • Lila
    hace 8 años

You could just hire someone to paint the second story and handle the main level yourself.

• imani1
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Lila, I like the way you think. It crossed my mind, but I just didn't want to admit it.
  • imani1
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Jennifer, the aluminum and brick are in great shape. Just ugly. See the last pic.
  • imani1
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Good points Sativa. I just checked, the boom alone is $600 for the weekend.
  • Bev
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

My husband and I debated just last month if we should paint our two story house or just have it done. We decided to splurge and have it done by professionals because we figured out that we would not save that much money doing it ourselves. What I did was contact 3 different house painting companies in our area and had them come out to bid for the job. That way, it will give you an idea how much you will be spending and you can decide which company to hire. I did make sure that the family owned company I hired was BBB accredited and I saw reviews from homeowners online as well. The other reason I hired them is that they do not expect to be paid until the job is done!

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    hace 8 años

Yeah it is the second story that doesn't save you money to DIY- first floor, is easy and can be done in a weekend with some family and friends.

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    hace 8 años

@lizzie91001 I love your humorous view on the real struggles of DIY project of this size. Luckily with vinyl siding there is a lot less prep work.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

It's so much easier and the outcome can be so much better if you hire an experienced professional. They have all the equipment and tarps and all of that is not inexpensive. If it's done correctly, you're good for the next 10 years.

• PRO
    BY Building Design
    hace 8 años
    The answer is If you do not have the time, knowledge, equipment and experience then the answer is NO. A good pro gets the paint cheaper, does not have to rent equipment, has the right tools, is down right faster and the result will be quality.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.