Houzz Logo Print
jmruc

Need help choosing pool patio

Jean Rucco
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

Trying to choose new pool patio. Cannot decide between 3 colors.

Comentarios (54)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 8 años

The stacked stone is taupe/brown with warm undertones. Adding grey will not be aesthetically pleasing, rather it will be jarring since it is a cool color and does not relate to anything in the stacked stone. But none of us can see the true color on a computer monitor.

Jean Rucco agradeció a Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Sue Wendel
    hace 8 años

I like the middle one. It matches some but not all of the stone, so you would get a little contrast, but it would still coordinate nicely. PS I'm not a professional.

Jean Rucco agradeció a Sue Wendel
  • PRO
    RL Remodeling
    hace 8 años
    Grey one, will match roof color best thus bringing out BBQ and wall tons
    Jean Rucco agradeció a RL Remodeling
  • PRO
    Vani Bahl │Design + Build
    hace 8 años

My suggestion would be the grey on the left, as it will tie this portion of the house to the remaining.

Jean Rucco agradeció a Vani Bahl │Design + Build
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

The colors in the photo are pretty true.

• Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I do plan to use the ledgestone xl. They are large stones

• PRO
    Regal Construction & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 8 años

I think the middle tile is your best option. The other colors are nice, but the I feel like they'd fade into the stacked stone instead of enhancing it.

Jean Rucco agradeció a Regal Construction & Remodeling Inc.
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

So it seems that the reviews are mixed. I got a few votes for each of the 3 colors. Maybe its just preference. I know that I do not like things to match perfect. I guess all three choices are good and hopefully none of them are a mistake. I have until monday to make a decision. Ugh!!

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

we went through this last september. after looking and mulling over the various brands we ended up redoing our poured concrete deck.

mostly the pavers just looked so... i dont know. the plain ones were too plain, and the textured looked fake. every time we've been at a restaurant now that has them outside i feel we had a lucky escape.

whatever you choose make sure you've seen it someplace real, installed. not just in a showroom.

its ok to decide none of the above.

Jean Rucco agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

The pool/living space patio comes off the house and surrounds the pool. And the rest of the yard is grass. I only saw the paver on the left in person. And the person had the same stone as me on their house. Nice. But matchy matchy.

• btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    Have you thought about staining the concrete?..as to the pavers.. What do you like about them?..they seem simple...coarse and rough..I don't see the added beauty with them..am I missing something?
    Jean Rucco agradeció a btydrvn
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Well our patio is a mess right now. We have 3 different colors of concrete, 2 patches, and some of it is crumbling. We have to remove it. Stain doesn't hide the cracks. As for the pavers, we are using very large ones. I agree, I hate the little ones, too busy. But the larger ones are nice.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

having failed to like any paver, even the legestone xl, we decided to have our concrete pool deck demo-ed and repoured. mostly we had wanted to get rid of the old aluminum coping, and have deck in different places than the original owner had placed. the work was done last last fall, and then the pool covered, i'm looking forward to spring.

the water level was low in prep for winter.

we also got a new liner, looking forward to a sexy dark pool instead of the brilliant 60s turquoise that we had.

Jean Rucco agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    Here is my general take on the back of your home..it sort of looks like you pushed a rustic country cottage up against an an elegant city home...you are not excited about the patio choice and it is a challenge but I would be seeking a material that unifies the look better...not adding to the opposition in style...something finer and with a little more contrast..
    Jean Rucco agradeció a btydrvn
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I agree. Concrete is easy. But after living with it 14 years. I am over it. I am leaning toward the lighter grey. Limestone quarry blend. I just wish I can see it laid down somewhere. I do prefer a contrast. Who knows. I may change my mind a few more times before Monday.

• btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    These days concrete is a whole different animal..it can be stamped in many varied shapes..like brick..flagstone...mosaic...and can be stained many beautiful colors
  • User
    hace 8 años

Having grown up dealing with pavers I will tell you it's very hard on the feet, not the greatest surface around a pool.

Jean Rucco agradeció a User
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Because they are hot? or because they are slippery?

• Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Concrete is concrete. It still cracks. I looked at the stamped concrete. I thought it was slippery and looked fake. I didn't like it. I also looked at spadecrete. Didn't like that. I did like the idea of staining the existing concrete but it is cracking and crumbling in a few spots.

• smit2380
    hace 8 años

We love our pavers around the pool. They have been great. We ripped out dreadful stamped concrete. It was only 4 years old and has already gotten a few cracks. If you like the gray, go with the gray. If you like the pavers, you are no alone pavers can be awesome.

Jean Rucco agradeció a smit2380
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Well, I do like both colors. The grey and the multi color one. I am just not able to make a decision. I have been staring at them for weeks.

• btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    How about mixing them up? Use some or all the colors..create borders or checkerboard or stripes..zig zag?...just curious what are these pavers made of ?
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

They are Cambridge pavers. Believe it or not I think they are made out of concrete. The grey is Limestone quarry blend and the multicolored is Riverbed blend.

• User
    hace 8 años

Sorry I took a bit to get back. No because they are rough and scrape the skin.

• btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    I suspected they were concrete ...maybe they can be stained as well ..they must require some finishing coat to bring out the coloration? A sealer?...if so have you seen what that adds to the appearance and color?...it could change it dramatically...maybe even add a sheen?
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

My concrete is very rough to walk on now. So I don't think the pavers will bother me. Yes the sealer really brings out the color. But you can't do it for a few months. Right now, do you think either of the 2 choices are a mistake?

• Cathy Slade
    hace 8 años
    My vote is the middle.
    Jean Rucco agradeció a Cathy Slade
  • calidesign
    hace 8 años

I like the tan one on the right for two reasons. To me, gray looks more like plain concrete instead of stone, and lighter colors are cooler on your feet in the summer than darker colors.

Jean Rucco agradeció a calidesign
  • felizlady
    hace 8 años
    The third sample is the one: a better match to the wall. The multi tones of the wall add the interest. The patio should not compete by bringing an unrelated color.
    Jean Rucco agradeció a felizlady
  • PRO
    KIMBERLY ANN INTERIORS
    hace 8 años
    Use the one on the left. Too much brown or the wrong shade will look muddy and too country for your modern white home. The gray balances your roof color and will look more appropriate with. Think of the existing brown stone you have as an accent piece, not something to drag out as a theme.
    Jean Rucco agradeció a KIMBERLY ANN INTERIORS
  • btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    I think all three would work...too hard to pick a favorite in the stage they are now..wish there was some way for you to see which is most interesting with sealer applied
  • lynncorreia
    hace 8 años

i say the one on the left. I think it will pull in the counter top coloring. The one on the right would be boring in my opinion.

Jean Rucco agradeció a lynncorreia
  • btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    Just thought ....will getting the tiles wet portray color after sealer?
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Yes. It does change the color. It looks more vibrant.

• Bruce Crawford
    hace 8 años
    I like Diana Bier's suggestion. It's not just about color & contrast, it's hue, too. (Ugh!) The sample on right has correct hue, & it'll be cooler on feet on hot summer day, too.
  • btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    Sooo.based on wet pavers...choose the one you like best...maybe the one with most contrast?
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Ok. I didn't even have the lighter grey limestone quarry blend sample. Got them mixed up. Here is a pic of the grey that most liked but a lighter shade. What does everyone think. I didn't give the contractor the final choice.

• User
    hace 8 años

The lighter gray is definitely the better choice. It will be cooler in the heat , it blends well with your present colors too. You might think about doing it with some of the red as a border or accent. It would add some style.

• btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    Like the new gray ...looks sort of blue in the photo... Nice with a little color ...but I don't see any variations...where are you sourcing your pavers? Went to see what this Floor and Decor place was all about..if you have one nearby ...they seem to have an interesting assortment of outdoor tiles...maybe even a call to see if there are more options ..may be possible to repair your concrete and do a cool tile over it?
  • Rochelle Belle
    hace 8 años
    I would say the middle or right would be your best options, the middle if you want a little more contrast. We went with pavers to cover our patio, and we used stone for our BBQ, fire pit and patio columns. We've been very happy with the results and enjoy spending time in our backyard now.
  • btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    Nice look with the stone ...just curious does all that stone radiate heat on hot days or are you in a cooler climate?
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Ok everyone. I am absolutely sure I am going with the grey. Question now is more monotone one or the one with the white?

• btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    The monotone...the white version sort of looks like it needs cleaning? ...or does it look like it has white streaks?..the monotone looks like it will be a a nice dark gray when sealed...almost black...that could be very cool
  • btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    Kind of match the roof,too?
  • User
    hace 8 años

The one with the white in it will hold less heat, give you more variation too. The monotone is just that too monotone. I really like the texture on both however.

• Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I did want th lighter but now am worried it will be too busy with the stone on the house. Don't want to detract. Yes. Roof is black. The lighter has white streaks

• User
    hace 8 años

I don't think it has enough contrast to detract from the house stone. It should enhance it. Either one will look good, it will certainly be an improvement. Pick your first choice and go with it. Getting too bogged down in these details makes you crazy in the end. Two years from now you won't be thinking show I have ... You just be happy to have a nice space to share with your family. Enjoy.

• btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    I agree with your concerns ...the dark solid contrast patio will accentuate the other stone better..sort of feels like slate and ties in with the roof color...this solves my original concern of the brick house connected to the White House..the dark patio ties them together better
  • btydrvn
    hace 8 años
    Hope you will continue to post your progress...
  • Jean Rucco
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Ty everyone. I chose the darker paver. I will post pics when it is finished. Hopefully be ready to roll for Memorial Day.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.