Houzz Logo Print
kattacular

Awful wardrobe - what do do? Need DIY ideas!

hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

In process of re-doing my daughters room. Walls prepped for painting (going to be a light grey). Curtains being made (peachy pinky pattern). About to start on prepping and painting the trim (white) before we start the walls. But this wardrobe... Ugh! I don't know what to do! I need something functional, but pretty. The extra storage up the top is fantastic but again, gross. Help!

Comentarios (11)

• hace 8 años

What don't you like about it? It's not obviously broken, so please be specific about what makes it "ugh" and "gross?"

• hace 8 años

quercus2: I don't like that the wardrobe goes right up the wall to touch the top trim, but I don't see a way around that without losing the storage space. I hate the white doors - they are thin pieces of badly painted cheap wood, DIY'd by previous owner but just look tacky IMO.

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Get rid of the top doors and paint the shelf white. Add some nice baskets to the top area. These items may be off season or stuff not used every day. Replace the bypass doors if you hate them with french doors.

kattacular agradeció a Doris Wright
  • hace 8 años

I love the idea removing the doors and putting baskets up top! And the curtains are super cute!

• hace 8 años

After you paint the trim and cupboards white they will not stand out so much. You could wallpaper the flat closet doors with a fun pattern. If you decide on curtains, use an outside mount, so the fabric can be all the way on the left against the wall in your picture. Otherwise it would be hard to access the closet.

kattacular agradeció a calidesign
  • PRO
    hace 8 años

Paint it all the same as the walls and change the handles to something fun or wall paper the doors and paint the cabinets on top the same as the wall.

• PRO
    hace 8 años
    Paint the closet doors the same colour as the trim and door. Paint the cabinet doors the same colour as the walls. Update the hardware on both to match. And it looks like theres wall paper on the inside. I'd remove and paint white or the same colour as the walls.
  • hace 8 años

I would remove the lower doors, install standard standard closet doors and paint the entire unit white. Here's the type of doors I would install...

Williamsburg Residence · Más información

Manhattan Loft · Más información

• hace 8 años
    I grew up with these panel doors and remember the glorious day they were replaced by a curtain. So if you are open to the idea, for ease of use, least effort and cost that's a simple fix that your daughter may want herself. The top cabinet doors can be considered a cornice for the drapes, and can be upholstered, maybe in the same fabric as her window curtains, and a simple drape with coordinating stripe on the bottom. Search "upholstered doors" on Houzz, and you will see ideas for nailhead trim, tufting, etc as well. You may also be able to add thin trim molding in a custom design to make them special. Good luck!
  • hace 8 años

Have a carpenter build you new doors and hang new closet doors from Lowes or Home Depot, then it will no longer be a problem to you!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.