winterfloods

Our new eat-in kitchen

winterfloods
hace 8 años
We have to make some decisions pretty soon on the major elements of our new kitchen i.e. type and colour of flooring, colour of the granite worktops, colour of the painted kitchen cabinets, colours for walls/glass splashbacks etc. etc.
We are going for a contemporary style of kitchen using a combination of painted units, oak wall cupboard, oak fronted fridge/freezer and our existing oak table and chairs.
Throughout the planning process I've had a picture in my mind of the final finish which which was light coloured flooring & granite but my partner really wants a very dark granite with a slate floor. I think it'll all be way too dark.
Can anyone give us tips please on how to make these decisions? Our current kitchen is maple with a dark granite and I so want the new one to look different.
Thank you in advance.

Comentarios (7)

• jacksplash
    hace 8 años

Maybe going for a mid coloured floor and granite top could be the answer..

do you have any photos of your space and future cabinets?

• PRO
    Modus Kitchens
    hace 8 años

Hello,

First of all you need to decide on your floor, as this will most likely be part of other areas of your home ie hallway or living / dinning area. Once you both agree on this you have the base colour or colours for your space.

You have said you want a mix of wooden and painted cabinets, just make sure the flooring and the wooden cabinets are harmonious.

Could you post some photos of your space? We can probably help a little more if you post a few snaps of the room and some ideas of other kitchens you like!

Hope this advise was helpful!

The team at Modus Kitchens

• PRO
    Wiltshire Garden & Interior Design
    hace 8 años

Modus is right. The flooring is key. You need to consider your lifestyle - children, pets? Does the floor need to be regularly mopped? Do you want the on going maintenance that a wooden floor entails? How much daylight is there? Budget? Only then consider the counter top - there are other alternatives to granite but it is considered one of the best for stones for worktops. Watch how you treat the oak - you don't want it to end up yellowing over time so make sure the installer treats it with a hardwax oil like Osmo or Treatex. I have attached a picture of a kitchen that uses both a dark floor, dark worktop and dark painted cabinets so it can be done - it's a very strong look, and would certainly be different to your old kitchen BUT note there is a lot of daylight and the walls are white.

• winterfloods
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you all for your comments. I've attached a couple of photos from OnePlan's design which was done a few months ago. Since then we've decided to place the ovens in the middle section of the full height cabinets and change the finish to oak. Also changed to oak is the appliance cupboard (the sliding doors which have also now changed to pocket doors). There's also a small study leading off the kitchen which will be IKEA oak furniture with a plain, pale green carpet (recycled from our dining room).

We have been very pleased with the Amtico flooring in our current kitchen and will go for Amtico or Karndean in the new kitchen. We like the warmth underfoot and it has always been easy to clean and is dog-friendly. Ease of maintenance is essential as we're both retired. But I'm not keen on fake wood in a room with so much real wood so it'll probably be a stone effect.

We'd like a glass splashback (again colour to be decided). A mid-tone granite worktop might be ok but I had fallen in love with Ivory White from Ivett & Reed whereas my partner loves a very dark black textured granite. The colour of the other units will be rather dependent on our floor/worktop choice I'd imagine. But not bright white.

I'd quite like a fresh, lively look to the kitchen/breakfast. The remainder of the house is mainly F&B golds/stone colours which tie in with the brass door furniture in those rooms. But the kitchen and utility is staying with chrome fittings. We have a separate dining room which needs new curtains and carpets too which I'd like to be more sophisticated as it has dark Victorian-style furniture.

Thanks for the tip about yellowing of oak. I'll check with the kitchen installers.
  • PRO
    Modus Kitchens
    hace 8 años

Your two toned kitchen is really lovely, has a contemporary feel without being too stark.

If you don't like the white I would go for a warm grey colour and then a lighter work surface which tones in to the rest of the colours in the room.

I would try to have no more than 4 main colours in a room, floor, cabinets, walls and worktop, everthing else should be accent colours.

I've attached some photos to demonstrate this. A lot of the time the floor and work surface are similar in colour and therefore if adding a coloured backsplash this would suit no problem.

Hope this helps!

The Team at Modus

• winterfloods
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you OnePlan! I'll email you next week. We're off for a spa break in the Cotswolds...... can't wait to get away from the brick dust and noise. Oh, and the fact that we have no heating. Brrrr.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.