Houzz Logo Print
helzmc

Bedroom decoration help please!

helzmc
hace 8 años

We are starting to decorate the first room in our first house - our bedroom and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. When we moved in, it had terrible homemade build in wardrobes which we have ripped out and had a wall of soft grey built-ins fitted. I love the wardrobes, they are a huge improvement and I love the colour. The problem is, I don't know what to do now! The room is north facing, with quite a small window so rather dark. I had thought of an even

paler grey for the remaining walls but worry it will be too bland. The best match I can find is F&B Blackened, but given it is almost the exact colour of the wardrobes, is it going to be too much for all four walls? Have we made a mistake in allowing the wardrobes to dominate the room? I was wondering about a Stiffkey Blue wall behind the bed, because I think that would look lovely against the bed. I am not really keen on colour, I prefer muted neutrals so the blue wall does make me slightly nervous. Help please!

Comentarios (20)

• PRO
    User
    hace 8 años

hi helzmc, the wardrobes look beautiful and I love the colour. I think a light shade of the grey would look great for the other walls and would work prefectly with your upholstered headboard. You can work with different textures to add impact to the room and create additional character using the grey and taupe of the headboard. I would maybe look at using a textured bedspread and cushions as we have used on our project below

Lennox Gardens · Más información
    If you are retaining the existing bedside tables it may be nice to replace the drawer handles with glass to soften the look and link in with the wardrobes. You could also look at small baskets to sit on the shelf of the bedside tables which will soften them and bring in the wood of the headboard and a softer matt shade for for the bedside lamps. I hope this helps.

Best

Katie and Chloe

• PRO
    L'Atelier Natalia Willmott
    hace 8 años

Hi there

am a fan I'd very pale blues to go with grey. So I would either paint the wall a light grey or a very light blue...that will make your cupboards a feature but not stand out too much!

Get a few samples and a large sheet of a3 paper and paint on that and take it round the room to test out!

Fitzroy Development · Más información

Cupboards-Bathroom · Más información

Best wishes and don't worry about using colour especially if it is light.

natalia

• PRO
    Zoe Glencross Fabric & Home
    hace 8 años

Hi What colour grey are your wardrobes painted in? You could try the walls in a warm white - Stone I Paint & Paper library. Floor length curtains will put the window back in proportion with the large wardrobes - our Putsborough Cowparsley in Rock Grey linen print is very popular for bedrooms as it is so restful - it would compliment your wardrobe colour bringing the scheme together. You could accent the room with cushions/accessories like bedside lampshades in a soft pink - try our petal pink at zoeglencross.com. You could also upholster the headboard in one of our Rock Grey prints to balance the greys of the room - Slade Stripe in Rock Grey Linen Blendwww.zoeglencross.com

• minnie101
    hace 8 años

Hi. I'd do the ŵalls either side of the wardrobe in the same colour so the wardrobes blend in. You could try stiffkey, i don't think it will be any darker than you have now tbh. I'd add mirrors behind the bedside tables to bounce a little light, something with a frame in a ŵarm metallic which will look great against the blue or hang a large mirror opposite the window. If not blue, then add a wallpaper, maybe something with metallics. As you've got shutters I'd add different textures and patterns for cushions and throws. Perhaps a small vase of faux flowers on one bedside and you could also hang tassels off the bedside handles ( try John Lewis key tassels) for more texture.

• helzmc
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you for all of your ideas. I love the textured bedding, are you able to tell me where it is from Katie and Chloe? I had thought of a mirror on the wall by the door, but the idea of mirrors behind the bedside tables (which will be replaced at some point) sounds lovely. What sort of shape/size would you suggest? Interesting that you all have different recommendations regarding paint colour! Will definitely be looking at tassels too!

• Jonathan
    hace 8 años
    Personally I think a pale blue could look cold given the limited north light. Personally I would rather see a pale warm neutral like a white with some brown in it to match your headboard.
    I also think that full length curtains will add to the luxury.
    And I agree with the comment about adding pattern. I like the dark lamp shades and think that adding black (or a dark grey) adds sophistication and you could perhaps find a patterned throw with both the grey and the pale blue you like.
  • Lynn Robbo
    hace 8 años
    Love love love the wardrobes and the colour work around them X
  • minnie101
    hace 8 años

Sorry I missed you saying the wardrobes were like blackened. You may be better off with a warm white otherwise it could look a little cold but get a few testers. The wardrobes actually look a pale greige on my screen. I'd go for rectangular mirrors or something with a curved'ish top

• Lauren
    hace 8 años
    I think a warm white would work well to warm the space up and still look great with the grey wardrobes. Can I ask where you got your gorgeous headboard?
  • helzmc
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hi Whirligig, the bed is Sienna from Feather and Black.
    So a warm white for the walls? Any ideas to start me off with? I have tried lots of testers and so far they all come up quite beige in the room which I worry looks a bit funny against the wardrobes - they are a definite grey in the room. They were manufactured with a bonded coating, not painted which is why I have no idea where to start. And would you go with the same, or a different colour behind the bed?
    Thank you so much again for all of your comments. I really appreciate it.
  • PRO
    hace 8 años
    Stone I by paint and paper library is great - not too yellow and will compliment your wardrobe colour. Love the wardrobes - blackens is a lovely time of pale grey. You could have lampshades in a fabric colour that mirrors the grey of your wardrobes - try Slade stripe in Pebble grey.
  • minnie101
    hace 8 años

I don't know which colours you've tried but skimming stone with elephants breath for the feature ŵall. Or looking at greys if you're not keen on beiges either cornforth or Dulux dusted moss 2 (I think Dulux is a little warmer) with purbeck or alternatively strong white with either purbeck or elephants. You could also try clay pale by Little Greene.

http://www.littlegreene.com/paint/colour/white-paint/warm-white-paint

I like the stony colours although it make make the wardrobes look a little blue if they are similar in colour to blackened.

• PRO
    JB Curtains
    hace 8 años

I would get rid of the shutter blinds and install roman blinds, will open up the room to more light. A choice of light greys or light creams for fabrics.

• Tracy Sidaway
    hace 8 años
    Don't want to hijack the thread but is skimming stone grey or cream/beige?
  • PRO
    Casa Colori
    hace 8 años

I like your wardrobe very elegant. I would personally make the room slightly brighter, but still cosy. I would add a feature wall at the back of the bed why not something with animal pattern that are very in fashion now. I like the idea to use pale blue as suggested by another interior designer; it would go well with the wardrobe (judging from the photo).

I would also add a big fancy mirror on the wall opposite to the window as long as your privacy is not endangered.

Then I will be more adventurous colors wise with blinds and lamps.

And an led light behind the headboard to make everything look magic

• PRO
    Design Penguin Ltd
    hace 8 años

At the risk of contradicting previous advice, warm colours suit a dark and north facing room much better. If you are set on blue, then I would go with a rich dark blue - Stiffkey has been mentioned and it is an awesome shade. You could then do the paintwork to co-ordinate with the wardrobes to tie them in, and use patterned or textured soft furnishings as a bridge between the two colours. Embracing the fact that the room is dark rather than fighting it gives you the chance to make it a cosy nest, with plenty of texture to break up big blocks of colour and make it even more warm. A blackout blind and soft full patterned drapes will get around the radiator under the window issue and add more interest. I see you have metallic lamps - more metallics and and clever use of mirrors will help reflect any light you do have in the day, and your low level lamps will help make it warm and intimate at night with reading light as a bonus. My five pennys worth...

• helzmc
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks everyone, have tried skimming stone and ammonite - too yellow. Purbeck stone was too dark. I quite like chalk mark and dusted moss 2, they show as more beige. Would that be ok with the grey do you think?

tracysid, I think skimming stone is creamy beige' at least it is in my room!

• PRO
    hace 8 años
    Skimming stone has a slight pink tone to it - almost peachy in sunlight so watch out for the if putting it with a 'blackened' kind of grey. Still suggest you keep it fresh (not matching but complimenting the wardrobes) with a warm white. Using accessories/fabric with hints of grey in the room will tie in your grey wardrobes balancing the scheme. Quickest route I would suggest talking to your local Farrow & Ball shop and asking them for advice on pale shades that compliment blackened - they are usually very helpful.
  • Christine Johnstone
    hace 8 años
    To add some light have you thought of putting coloured glass mirrors either side of the bed behind the cabinets - as tall as you can - like the idea of giving cabinets glass handles and how about painting them a shade darker than the wardrobes - possible then select a warm colour to accessories the bed
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.