Houzz Logo Print
sarahjane72

Pull out knife drawer

sarahjane72
hace 8 años

Hi everyone,

I am building a house and have my heart set on a pull out knife block like the picture.

My cabinetmaker has basically said that they can't do it but if I can find someone else to make it they will supply the front panel so it matches the rest of the kitchen.

Any ideas where I can get something like this made?

I live on the Sunshine Coast so I would be surprised if there wasn't someone around here that could do it but I'm just not sure where to start looking.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Comfortable Contemporary · Más información

Comentarios (16)

• Jen
    hace 8 años

I would love one of these too. I even have a little space for it but I haven't looked into having one made. I'm assuming that a small, one-person cabinet maker or carpenter would do one for you. Or, that was who I was planning on asking when I ask about a tricky space I need filled with...something (after I ask for ideas here!).

• suzineedsahouse
    hace 8 años

Try your local "men's shed" (they will be listed in the yellow pages I expect)...there will be some old chippie there who would probably happily whip one up for you (given that your cabinetmakers only work in precut laminates and not old school timber??)

• sarahjane72
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Both great ideas thanks. The only problem with going to the Eumundi markets is I tend to head towards the donut stall lol
  • myownstyle13
    hace 8 años

Just be aware - in case you have small children around, then this is not a safe place to store your knives...

• dohraime
    hace 8 años

myownstyle13, that's a really good point!

If you really have your heart set on this but do have young ones, you could still get it installed but use it later when they are older. Of course, you'd have to come up with alternative knife storage in the interim years.

There are wooden tray drawer inserts available as an alternative.

• User
    hace 8 años

Very handy for a professional knife thrower though.

• Julie Larsen
    hace 8 años

These are awesome! I had one made last year, my cabinet makers said they couldn't make it at first, so I purchased two long narrow (empty) knife blocks from Peters of Kensington (sorry I can't remember the brand), gave them to my cabinet makers and they made it up perfectly! It's even better than the one in the picture as the blades aren't exposed.

• sarahjane72
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    That sounds like a good idea. Thanks. Regarding the safety aspect, is there any difference in having one of these compared to a normal drawer with the knives laid out? Or a child that can drag a chair to a bench and reach a knife block anyway?
  • LouieT
    hace 8 años

Child locks should sort that out sarahjane ;)

• PRO
    Murphy Metal Design and Wrought Iron
    hace 8 años

Not rocket science to build unit for knifes....But where blade tips located a metal protection unit be built in to stop children cutting themselves

• Cheryl Crick
    hace 8 años

Rather than this idea, have you considered having a knife drawer with the appropriate inserts? I used two flat knife blocks (bought them from 'King of Knives') inside a small drawer in my kitchen - allows the knives to be stored horizontally. Might be a better idea than having to bend down every time you want to use a knife.

• Cheryl Crick
    hace 8 años

• dohraime
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I think the safety issue is that with this style, the contents are right at a child's eye-level. They'd be much more tempted to play with this draw. I think you'd have to invest in a good child lock. With a regular drawer style, you could have it a slim profile be the top drawer. Less likely for them to easily see the contents. They might not even know what's kept in there. You could even have push release instead of a handle so it appears there is not even a drawer there. Same could be done for the vertical unit. I'd still want to use a child lock though, if I had a kid around.

The knife blocks vary in price A LOT. Just saw 7 pce sets online for $69 on sale, $199, $274, $549... I would hope they include knives!

You might be better off grabbing a bunch of the RETRATT blocks from Ikea.

• Barbara Dunstan
    hace 8 años

@sarahjane72,

I'm sorry but that's just nonsence that your cabinet maker can't do the job for you, what is he a 4 year old.

Your paying the money and he should give it a go or do some research, it's not a good enough approach to simply say I can't do it!!

I'm afraid I'd put my foot down and tell him it's what you want.

I've never here a cabinet maker say I can't do it!!

Good luck.

Cheers,

Barbara

• denisreno
    hace 8 años

Itl ooks great and it seems to have a timber wall on one side so I wouldn't worry about kids. Just put a lock on it that they do with other drawers for kids or, don't have any kids over! If it's a danger, you could always put a wall on this side where it slides out as well but make it somethig that could be removed later on when the kids are older.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.