Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Kitchen Island Lighting - Pendants or Chandelier?

Emily H
hace 8 años

When selecting your lighting fixtures for your kitchen island, do you prefer pendants or do you make a more formal statement with a chandelier?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Other - Tell us below

Comentarios (96)

• nanasuesto10
    hace 8 años

Pendant lights remind me of the movie Coma... Tethers Obstructing a view... I'll take can lights any day over any hanging light source!

• PRO
    Distinctive Mantel Designs, Inc
    hace 8 años

No more of the 3 pendants hanging over the island! Move on!

• honeyfieldsgraincompany
    hace 8 años

Although I love the look of a chandelier, it simply isn't practical or easy enough to clean when in a kitchen. I choose pendants or some other simple lighting.

• eightpondfarm
    hace 8 años

i prefer recessed lighting. kitchens have too much stuff going on already, i would minimize almost every single kitchen i've ever seen by half. they are always too stuffed with stuff.

• Ben Hart
    hace 8 años

I like pendants OK. I do not like chandeliers. Too fancypants for my taste. What I really love, being a merchant mariner, is reclaimed nautical lighting. Reminds me of my home away from home. :)

• Rose Trosin Hetrick
    hace 8 años

I think it all depends on the kitchen and your personal taste, wants/needs for entertaining maybe. That's a pretty shmancey kitchen. Pendants would work just as well also. That would be my preference.

• Rose Trosin Hetrick
    hace 8 años

TAB a chandelier is a light fixture with multiple lights. A pendant is a dropped single light. Sometimes people use a few of them to create a chandelier look I suppose.

• Annabelle Holden
    hace 8 años

The kitchen upgrade involved taking down a partial wall,to the family room,will make a formal dining room rather than family room. The chandelier will be over the table and thinking of three pendant lights over the 5 ft. island. in the kitchen. Can lights in the ceiling. Thanks for he help.

• Marsha Elizabeth
    hace 8 años
    I say use whatever lighting choice makes you happy! If you walk into your kitchen space and YOU like what you see, then it was the right choice.
    In my old house by the sea, our kitchen was partly restored and partly renovated, so the updates were less obvious. I love the warm copper colour from this pendant. Yup, it does get dusty and require regular swipes with a damp cloth. And it works in tandem with pot lights because I like bright workspaces.
  • Dee
    hace 8 años

My very small house doesn't have a dining area other than in the kitchen. I chose industrial pendants that gave the area a dressy look without looking formal.

• PRO
    NuWave
    hace 8 años

Pendants are in today. Pendants are also WAY different than they were 10 years ago. I say go for recessed lighting. Nothing dated, nothing in the way. I want to see what I am doing in the kitchen. Fancy lighting belongs in other areas of the house.

• Carol
    hace 8 años

Pendants or potlights/recessed lighting

• Matty Palmer
    hace 8 años

Go with whatever you like. And don't let anybody tell you 'this is in' or 'this is out'. It's your kitchen and make yourself happy.

• archez
    hace 8 años
    A combination of pendants, recessed lighting, and under-cabinet lighting has finally given us the task lighting we needed plus the pretty look we wanted.
  • J K
    hace 8 años

Would love to see a photo archez!

• mainagram
    hace 8 años

I agree with those who say recessed lighting is the way to go for
    function. Notice that almost all kitchens using pendants or chandeliers also have recessed lighting. I do think the choice of supplemental lighting for an island does depend on
    the size of the kitchen, how the island is used (is it for dining or is it just functional--cooking or sink), whether you have an
    open plan or just an older-style separate kitchen, and of course your
    own preferences. Very timely discussion as we're about to change our inadequate kitchen lighting. We have a kitchen separated from the living-dining room (i.e., not open plan) and have a functional island with sink and dishwasher, and some counter space. Also have a small eat-in area with table and chairs. Right now we have a brass overhead flush mount ceiling fixture over the island, and a brass/glass hanging fixture over the table, and cabinet undermount lighting. This is nowhere near enough lighting for our main task area, so we're going to replace the ceiling fixture with plenty of recessed lighting and get an updated hanging fixture to go over the area where the table is located (area is a bump out and has a sloped ceiling and skylight).

• Jude Wenke
    hace 8 años
    Chandelier!!
  • Idicula Samuel
    hace 8 años
    I prefer pendants over chandeliers in the kitchen for ease of cleaning and it also depends on the space.

If you have a large space go for it. If not pendant should add enough drama and layer to your lighting.

We did 2 hand blown crystal pendants over the sink island and a drum over the breakfast nook.
  • mainagram
    hace 8 años

Isamuel71--Can you tell me the brand and model of the drum? We're thinking of having one over our eat-in area and yours looks great!.

• Bruce Crawford
    hace 8 años

We went w/ pendants for a couple reasons. One our island contains the rangetop, so we have a hood in the center. It created enough of a physical presence in its own right, so we didn't want to further block sight lines. Two, our ceilings are standard 8'H, so chandelier options would have been limited. We also have 6 6" LED cans around the island & 4 4" LED cans in the pantry area.

• PRO
    Bling and Things
    hace 8 años
    if your looking for being you can still get that with some pretty pendant lights
  • Idicula Samuel
    hace 8 años
    @mainagram Drum is made by George Kovac and I think it is called Alecia Necklace if I recollect and it comes in 2 sizes.
  • M C
    hace 8 años

The chandeliers are very pretty for a kitchen that doesn't get used but I cook every day and too much grease/dust accumulates for anything that can't be easily cleaned.

• Susan Mooney
    hace 8 años

I just love my pendant light above the sink. My designer Anna Jacoby said it looks like a diamond ring hanging in your kitchen!

• Leigh Bligh
    hace 8 años

I like both.. depends on the kitchen & island size. At our previous home we put 3 small chandeliers.. this home we have 2 large globe pendants. Some pendants can be more detailed and 'foo-foo' than some chandeliers. Personal opinion... choose what works with your room style and lifestyle.

• shofer1019
    hace 8 años

I have a chandelier (not fancy) over the kitchen table, a pendant which matches the style of the chandelier over the sink and can lights in the ceiling. This gives me plenty of light in my 12' X 18' kitchen.

• d1aneyou
    hace 8 años

Cable lights! Small and bright, easy to replace pendants or spots, easy to rearrange or add lights. These were the only way we could add lighting to our mid-century house because the T&G ceiling and beams make regular electrical wiring impossible. Thanks to our architect, Rosie Fivian, for enlighting us.

• User
    hace 8 años

I know I'll be booted out of the amateur decorators guild, but I don't like kitchen islands. There, I said it and I'm not taking it back. I think they crowd the kitchen. Just my opinion.

• barmarca
    hace 8 años

I like a cieling fan with ligh fixture---especially nice during our hot southern summers.

• Kristine
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

No island in my kitchen - they feel restrictive:) Pendant over the sink. Canned lighting overhead (on a dimmer).

• willozwisp
    hace 8 años

Either/ Or? Both can be effective and make a statement. Like different styles and eras of furniture. Japanese and European. I do like the full light of a chandelier and the focused light of a pendant. A dimmer works wonders with "mood".

• Melissa Witt
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I have a simple (no bling) five arm up lighting chandelier over the kitchen table and a matching three arm down lighting chandelier over the island. I have both under and over cabinet lighting. As for cleaning...one three arm chandelier isn't much different than cleaning three pendants. I say do what makes you smile. You're living in it and you experience it each and every day. The devil with what others say, it's your nest feather it your way.

• padyricia
    hace 8 años

Agree totally! I love the juxtaposition of kitchen and chandelier, no matter how small the kitchen.

• betd
    hace 8 años

Chandeliers are lovely....so long as you have someone to clean them, especially, in a kitchen where people actually cook. I want lighting that gives me enough light to see what I am prepping and has clean lines and looks like it belongs, I also love dimmers (I know many people think they are old but I had them installed because I need light to prepare food and cook but after, I dim the light to a nice glow.

• Denise Gibson
    hace 8 años
    I think either can work as long as the selected lighting works well with the kitchen decor. The right pendants or chandelier(s) can really add a little something extra other than light.
  • FunKtionally RePurposed
    hace 8 años

i like these pendants and hanging light for the kitchen. The down light illuminates the area well and the light filtering out of the sides creates cool shadows around the room. The pendants spin off and can be washed in the sink. The steamer has to be done in place.

• J K
    hace 8 años

Can LED lights be used in any fixtures, or do the fixtures need to be made specifically for use with LED bulbs?

• Bruce Crawford
    hace 8 años
    J K, there are LED bulbs that fit in std. socket. I've replaced several incandescents & cursed CFL's w/ them. There are also special LED sockets for smaller LED bulbs. My pendants use special ones. Whichever you have, you need LED-rated dimmer or they will flicker when turned down. I learned latter hard way.
  • Meghana Kishore
    hace 8 años

i prefer pendents over chandeliers because, they add a pleasant look over kitchen islands...mostly they are economical and flexible to use.. royal pendents or ancient pendants also add a new look to your kitchen....:)..

• Amy Lewin
    hace 8 años

I love the idea of chandeliers over an island, but it really all depends on your space and style. Ceiling height is another thing you should consider, and the fact that chandeliers will trap a lot of dust and bugs. If you're willing to put in the extra effort and your space allows it, go for chandeliers. Otherwise, pendants are a good option for quick cleaning and you can still find some great ones with style.

• PRO
    Brayer Design
    hace 8 años

Ooooh we do like our pendants, especially these copper ones:

Surbiton Bespoke Light Grey Kitchen · Más información
    But we agree, it all depends on the space and what's important to you... What you don't want is lots of design features fighting for attention in your kitchen - but if you love statement lighting and want a strong focal point to come from above, a chandelier can definitely add a bit of drama to your kitchen!

• User
    hace 8 años

Prefer recessed, as kitchens are often visually "busy" enough, and personally, I find most of today's pendants ugly. Why is a visible light bulb suddenly attractive ? Thought we'd seen the last of that in "The Honeymooners" .

• gnumedia
    hace 8 años

Pots and pans only above my 12" wide island. Cans in the kitchen work area, stained glass hanging fixture over the kitchen table.

• jburge55
    hace 8 años

I love using a pool table light fixture above my island. There are many that do not look like a game room. Currently my light has 3 down lights with glass shades, suspended from a decorative iron scroll hanging from 2 chains. I have had many nice comments about this decorative fixture.

• PRO
    NuWave
    hace 6 años
    Completely depends on the layout! While I love a good chandelier or pendants with heft- I have neither in my current kitchen. My island is a statement piece and anything from the ceiling would be a distraction in the kitchen.
  • Judy Mishkin
    hace 6 años

having just cleaned my two kitchen pendants, and my 3 chandeliers in other rooms, no effin' way i'd want to clean a kitchen chandelier! oy!

• Bruce Crawford
    hace 6 años
    Recently we saw a home on HGtv that had a chandy in K. My wife's comment: "Who's gonna clean it? Not me!". We've had chandeliers in DR, but in K, no way. One can mive DR table to clean. Kinda hard to move the island.
  • PRO
    Juliettes Interiors Ltd
    hace 6 años

I quite like a chandelier in a kitchen, however its not the most practical option, cleaning is an issue. I have an issue with open shelving in the kitchen for the same reason...shock horror!!

• PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    hace 6 años

It depends on the space! However, the photo you have is a perfect setting for a chandelier. New generations like to mix elements from different styles so as long as you're doing a syle mash up that works, combining complementary elements, it should work!

• PRO
    Galilee Lighting
    hace 6 años

How about a pendants chandelier?

Sales@GalileeLighting.com or

visit www.GalileeLighting.com

We offer free design consultation, to design the perfect size of chandelier for your space. Call us
    at 305-807-8711

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.