Houzz Logo Print
bonnaccra

What width chairs should I use if I want to fit 8 to 10 chairs?

bonnaccra
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

I have this dining table which is 96" long versus 42" wide. In general I will place 8 chairs around it. However, I will have 2 chairs on the side in the dining room for holidays or special meals when I will want to put 10 chairs around it. What is the maximum width chairs that you advise for my situation? thx

Comentarios (15)

• bonnaccra
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Sophie. So you are saying I should just buy any chair I like? Some are definitely wider and so I was looking for guidance and assuming they need to be not too small of course. Any thoughts? thx ahead of time.

• User
    hace 8 años

Your table needs a leaf if you want 10 chairs around it. And you need the bigger room size as well. Otherwise, those two extra guests will be card table dining no matter what size chairs you pick. Banging elbows with your neighbor is never fun and the food ends up on the floor when you try to overcrowd your seating.

bonnaccra agradeció a User
  • bonnaccra
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

the room is around 16.5' by 16'. Would you have gone with a bigger table?

• PRO
    Michelle Triplett Design
    hace 8 años

No, The size of your table is nice for the room size, it leave you with roughly 48" either end. Chairs need a minimum of 24" to out from the table. I think that 4 would be too tight on ether side. I would go with a maximum of 24" wide chairs. Make sure that the seat height is at least 19". Because you do not have an overhang on the ends, the chairs will be closer to each other on the corners. I like your table!

• PRO
    Michelle Triplett Design
    hace 8 años

Sorry, I was typing too fast! 24" to pull a chair away from the table. I always leave at least 36" of space around the table itself.

bonnaccra agradeció a Michelle Triplett Design
  • User
    hace 8 años
    I think that for the odd time you need to squeeze in ten your guests will be fine, happy to be together and appreciate the lack of the kid table.

We have a large table similar to that and it seats eight very comfortably year round. For special occasions when more is needed we do squeeze in a bit and my family loves that we all now get to sit together :)

We have eames style chairs with a white scooped seat and wood with metal legs.
  • bonnaccra
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

do you have a link to the chair or know the width? this is exactly how i plan to use it too - almost always set for 8 and only squeeze for those special times. I'm glad you chimed in about your experience.

• User
    hace 8 años
    http://www.novofurniture.com/chairs/dining-chairs/white-alexandria-dining-chair/

These are the ones we have. Our table is more streamlined than the one you pictured though
  • bonnaccra
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks. I'm not thinking of getting the same chair but wanted to investigate what widths may be appropriate and allow me to use 10 sometimes. thank you!

• bonnaccra
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

These are the chairs I'm considering - the white one is 24.75" (?!!) and I like it the most but. . .and then the gray one is 22.5" and the wood and fabric one is 19" wide. They are all customizable with fabric so I will go with another fabric choice. Any preferences among these or other ideas given what I want to do in room?

• User
    hace 8 años
    Of the three I prefer the grey one. Another option is for the ones on the end to be bigger and ones on sides smaller
  • bonnaccra
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks. Your chairs are under 19"
    So there is a big difference. I like the first 2 styles more but need to find alternates which are not as wide for flexibility.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

In general it's far easier to slip in additional people when your table has a center based than confining legs at the corners.

• bonnaccra
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Thx. At this stage, this is the table I liked and now it's ours:) so that's one constraint. Since we will mostly be seating up to 8, we'll just have to make do I guess

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.