Houzz Logo Print
webuser_3406447

how to create a cosy, child friendly living room/play area

Sunny Virk-Sandhu
hace 8 años

Please could anyone give advice how we should decorate this room to make it more warm, cosy, child friendly?. Colours, textures, carpet suggestions? Please. We have recently purchased this property.

Only thing we have decided on is to change the existing fireplace into a double sided log fire. One side of the room will be child's play area and the other side our living room.

i do like the idea of copper accessories, maybe grey or brown carpet can't decide.

I also like copper/brown silk wallpaper maybe on one wall opposite the fireplace?

Also love tartan, tweed, very soft rug, wood on walls not sure how it would work. Any suggestions please?

would like a wall with looks of photographs of child, family.

But unsure what colour the carpet and walls should be?? Any ideas??

pictures added to show what it looks like at the moment.

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    Sort Our Stuff
    hace 8 años
    Silk wallpaper + kids = disaster.
    Dry clean only wool throw + sticky fingers = bad idea
  • Juliet Docherty
    hace 8 años

Wow - what an amazing room. I would skim the ceiling and put in wide oak boards which are limed or treated with Osmo wax oil. You could also clad the chimney breast in a more appealing stone.

Midcentury Living Room · Más información

New Build House, Vine Road, Molesey · Más información

• PRO
    JB Curtains
    hace 8 años

I'd possibly add new window fixtures, most likely pinch pleated.

Fabrics I would choose since everything in the room looks beige/cream, would be a mauve (between cream and brown) with a floral design in a darker colour.

Tie backs for each curtain to hold the curtain back giving a more elegant look.

www.jbcurtains.com

Have a look at our page for more ideas

• hortonhearsawho2013
    hace 8 años

I recommend going for a mushroom brown carpet and F&B Elephants Breath on walls, this combo can work with blacks and dark wood for furniture. I suggest tartan curtains for character. Photos of family are a great idea and you could create a photo wall, I suggest you get them printed in sepia or black & white and IKEA do some great dark wood frames. Lots of fun cushions for a friendly vibe and you've got yourself a family room!

• crowningfashion
    hace 8 años

You have an amazing room and your idea of a double sided fireplace is awesome. I agree with colourhappy in not having a carpet but a wood floor. From the description of your taste you sound as if you like rustic and homely. A wood floor would look amazing and could be dressed with animal skin rugs or arty rugs or sheepskin - you could change the look with the seasons. You also seem to have some fab retro/mid century furniture on the far side of the room. Maybe you could change your sofa to something either retro or modern (think square - see dwell.co.uk for examples) and keep this style going. Clean modern lines would really give this room a fab look. Also, as the room is both a living room and study, could you move the dining room into this room and the study to the dining room? I think the room's identity as a living space would be more consolidated this way, if it's possible.

• Kittihawke
    hace 8 años
    Kids destroy carpets with juice, rusks, and various unmentionables. I would suggest an easy wash floor covering with an easy to wash rug maybe, to soften it. Leather seating is quicker to clean than slip covers and you will need a large cage type fire guard on each side of the log burner once your child becomes mobile as I imagine the panes will get hot.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.