Houzz Logo Print
smdga

Help! 8 months pregnant and cannot decide on stain for new floors!

smdga
hace 8 años

My husband and I purchased an older home 6 months ago, half had red oak hardwoods other half carpet. We had red oak installed in the rest of the house and now will be moving out tomorrow for the sanding and staining process. Dilemma is we cannot decide upon a stain, I am 8 months pregnant and cannot decide on what color socks to wear much less a big decision like this! We originally wanted a natural look and when the floor guys stained stairs with Bona natural decided it was too pink and red. Shown on boards in photo.

Not sure if there is a way to get rid of the pinkish red tone that keeps popping up? I was told due to the floors being "red" oak and not "white" oak this will remain a issue. We found a Bona nutmeg stain that seems to keep the red away but is a darker brown then we really wanted. Wondering if we should try a grey and white mixture? I would ideally like a lighter color without gold, pink or red. I tend to like the Scandinavian look. I have attached photos of our house and then 3 inspiration photos. Any advise would be SO much appeticated!

Inspiration photos

Comentarios (10)

• acm
    hace 8 años

Well, you can't make red oak look like white oak (or hickory, or any of your other inspirations). But the current color of the floor looks great in all your photos. Is the new wood much pinker? Have the floor guys said whether it will age a bit yellower with time? (I suspect so...)

Nothing to lose by trying a grey-and-white mixture on another test board. But I suspect you're driving yourself crazy. In a few weeks you will no longer notice anything about those floors except whether you can still smell the varnish and whether you're able to stay upright on it. If you can't find the perfect thing, go natural and move on to the next Thing That Needs Doing.

Good luck!

• Jillian - Interior design student
    hace 8 años

A diluted nutmeg or light walnut would be your best bet to mitigate the "red" in your red oak.

Nutmeg on Red Oak

.......and congrats on the baby!

• flopsycat1
    hace 8 años

Your house looks great. Sorry I can't help you with your floor stain, but since you are having difficulty picking out your socks, I found some that might work a month from now. New house, new baby- what could be better!

• casacerro
    hace 8 años

Wow, new house and new baby! Lots to think about, especially the new baby. I am having the same issue with color on red oak. I don't want "red" background also. Am also thinking about a nutmeg stain, possibly with a little white in it. Will post photos when we complete in a few months. P.S. Decided on a name yet??

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

Previous poster is right about red always coming to the surface in red oak. A medium tone stain like nutmeg or coffee will work, but many of your inspiration photos finishes cannot be reached with red oak.

smdga agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • smdga
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you!

• PRO
    Classic Hardwood Floors & Designs
    hace 8 años

I agree with Beverly...red oak will have the red undertone regardless of what you do and trying to achieve the more light brown colour of the wood in your photos (although lovely) will drive you crazy.

If you want to simply stain the floor, choose a colour such as medium brown or similar that is just brown, bordering on grey. If you choose anything with red in it, such as a spice colour, I'm afraid it will just pronounce the red in the flooring.

Bleaching the floor may result in a more pinkish hue instead of the grey that you are looking for. If you do decide on bleaching, I would suggest bleaching twice before staining.

There is a product that chemically alters the appearance of the floor by reacting with the tannins in the wood itself:

http://rubiomonocoatusa.com/oil_creative_zone/tanning-reactive-stains.aspx

The rubio fumed will result in a more grey colour and the rubio smoke will be more brown.

I have not used this product and know relatively little about it. You can have your contractor speak with the company and get a sample to see if it will give you your desired result.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Powell Homes & Renovations
    hace 8 años

I haven't had much luck reducing the redness out of a Red Oak unless you go much darker. I like the idea of your nutmeg stain adding some white to it.

• PRO
    Hardwood Design Company
    hace 8 años

I agree with Classic Hardwood Floors. Monocoat would be a good color option, but with a baby on the way Monocoat oil finished floors are much more upkeep than a urethane finished floor. I would try a dura-seal Coffee Brown and a 110 Neutral mix. Probably a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio. Coffee Brown has a green undertone that cuts some of the red. We use it on our Texas Mesquite to help overcome the red.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.