Houzz Logo Print
lisa_walters760

What is the wall finish technique?

Lisa Walters
hace 8 años
I see the completed result was a process of layering. What kind of technique and paint gives the swirl/circle & opal sheen for the second layer? Then, how was the stenciling overlay accomplished? I only see the larger stencil design pattern on the wall. (referring to the stencil samples that were taped on the wall in a before pic.) Is the stencil layer actually a stencil / laser cut wallpaper? or ... did you have to move the stencil as you went ? The wall 'appears ' as if it has a raised wallpaper texture , but then blended in with the final top coat of paint. However, I can't tell. If not , the stenciling would have been tedious. It's gorgeous! The walls are subtle and elegant ,yet have such depth and texture.
2015 Napa Valey Showhouse · Más información

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    Elan Evans
    hace 8 años

How nice to get a question about the paint, one that I can actually answer! The underlying finish is a combination of metallic paints, Ralph Lauren and Modern Masters, the swirls were made with a large, soft brush. The overlay is actually a die cut paper that I fabricate myself, pasted up like wallpaper so that the swirls show from underneath. Thanks for the comment, I was pretty pleased with the end result.

• Lisa Walters
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Wow! That is brilliant!!!!!! I'm soooo intrigued with the die cut wallpaper .... Is this a 'thing' that I've been out of touch with or is this sort of your evolving creation ? (You mentioned you make the die cut paper ) I was once totally design oriented, but I've been living in a mom box ... that place where one becomes up on the latest techniques to REMOVE 'peculiar applications ' from the walls ( Magic Eraser !!! , Krud Cutter) vs. being up on the latest design applications. Either way, your artistic layering of it all is phenomenal. I couldnt quite tell if wallpaper was used or not, which is a good thing. It doesn't scream wallpaper!! The over all texture & pattern adds another dimension of depth & visual interest that can't simply be achieved with a paint and/ or stenciling application alone. Yet, unlike wallpaper, which tends to get dated quickly, these integrated techniques became a timeless finish ; a work of art . Amazing!!! Thank you for answering all of my technical paint questions, too. Simply stunning! :0)
  • PRO
    Elan Evans
    hace 8 años

Thank you for all the lovely complements. The die cut wallpaper is something I'm developing, just perplexed as to the packaging and marketing, it seems to require a lot of explaining. I'm very glad that you could see the texture in the photo, that's half the battle! And then, I wonder If I should just paste them up on panels and sell them as art, no explaining necessary....

Mr.Clean Magic Erasers!? Don't know what I did without them. Just gave a box to a contractor I was working with and told him to always have them in his job box!

• Lisa Walters
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Yes, Mr. Clean's eraser IS magic indeed! It's likely saved many children from naughty chair pergatory !!!
    ... As far as the marketing you mentioned, I'm completely fascinated with the concept... I just keep pondering the endless possibilities. It would take technique & talent to make the paper blend in with the environment its being applied to, as you accomplished. But , look at Annie Sloan's business model for instance. Anyone can buy her chalk paint, but eventhough it's easy to apply on most anything ( her major selling point) which makes it a huge timesaver, it still takes technique & an artistic eye to apply her finishes appropriately to look more like fine art/ fine antique furniture. By using that same principle, supply the product , write a book with different application methods/ techniques for using it. Then be selective on supplying only to select stockists which would have to be trained & certified to sell it. Then ,have the stockists provide classes to teach the methods for achieving beautiful results. Just having the ability to apply an over all stencil-like pattern as a wallpaper is innovative enough. Moving a tiny stencil a bazillion times throughout a room is tedious , strenuous, and time consuming. So, providing an innovative time saving product has huge marketing potential! -especially in a business where time is money. Besides, not too many people own or have access to a die cut machine, let alone the ability to create intricate patterns and pop them out like toast. Really, the possibilities are endless! Printing outlines for mural applications could be application. Then, once applied, paint in the details. It saves time drawing it all out , yet also gives a 3-d textured look to a mural . I've had fleeting thoughts about designing specialized wallpaper in the past, but the technicalities of how to remotely go about it perplexed me and I gave up. However, I think you have an awesome idea already going! People are getting more diy savvy and informed on the techniques of faux finishing. So, I'm sure it would have great appeal with not only faux finish artisans, but also diy'ers alike. Its another medium to use. And... there's always a "group " that loves to create horrid attrocities, like the garish sponge painting phase of the 90's ! I'm sure they'd love the chance to put their spin on it, too. Just think... Glow in the dark paint , a glitter overlay, their personalized die cut designed wall paper pattern of maybe of a shadow figure , a peace sign, or a duck ! ;0) Then, top it off with a lovely coating of your own brand of spray on flocking. You could be the catalyst for a 70's wallpaper flocking revival. (Sorry, sometimes thinking out of the box gets the best of me. ) Seriously, what you've done is amazing and has enormous potential. So, I think you should go forth and conquer! I'll be waiting in line to purchase! Blessings!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.