Houzz Logo Print
texanniew

My sad, sad backyard

texanniew
hace 8 años

My backyard has so much potential! We are going to be getting a new fence next week so after that we really want to do some landscaping. Besides no landscaping, our two new rescues love to dig! We love our huge patio, but it's just meh. My solution is to put in a pool, but unless I win the lottery, my husband isn't on board! LOL I live in Houston. The yard faces north. Any suggestions, tips, advice would be great!!!

Comentarios (12)

• shirlpp
    hace 8 años

Are you just looking for plantings, or, are you also looking for hardscape suggestions? Since the beauties love to dig, then you are going to need some kind of fencing to protect your plantings.

• texanniew
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I am open to all suggestions!

• shirlpp
    hace 8 años

Aside from a design the following might offer some inspiration(especially - 1 - barren lot, 12 - shady and spacious, 13 - lush and inviting, 15 - blank slate)

http://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-design/landscaping-and-hardscaping/15-before-and-after-backyard-transformations-pictures

texanniew agradeció a shirlpp
  • suezbell
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Count the posts in your new fence and before they get sold out this spring, buy matching hanging brackets for each of them to enable you to use your wall to add hanging flower baskets/pots, wind chimes, bird feeders, etc. -- any accessory or decoration interchangeable with your mood and the seasons. Beware creating a place at the base of your new fence that will need watering and potentially hasten the need for your next fence.

A pool would take up all your yard anyway (sour grapes) so opt for the least inexpensive water feature instead -- a basic concrete pedestal bird bath. With a sunflower design, you can add water even in freezing weather because if the water freezes, the ice has room to expand rather than break the bowl.

http://www.jeffconcrete.com/media/uploads/images/products/images/bird_bath.JPG

Set it in the middle of a new conversation spot created on the most private area of your yard. could light your path to a conversation nook on the most private side of your yard.

http://www.barbarasafranekdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_3231.jpg

-- perhaps with an arbor and swings.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2tB6hIjuHh8/TV7x6vXbX1I/AAAAAAAAADA/zaHC7W7ICXI/s760/IMG_8344%2B018%2Bswing%2Barbor%2Bw%2Bchild.jpg

Access it from your really great back porch -- one that could be even better. You might consider creating a cabinet at the end beside and beneath the windows to hide your grill, etc., when not in use. Patching/smoothing the concrete and then outlining the outer edge of a porch floor that is nearly ground level could be the beginning of an upgrade to your outdoor living space. Use the same paving stones or brick you use to outline the porch edge for creating a walkway into your back yard -- treated posts topped with solar lights

Creating an arbor could give your pooches a place away from the porch to be in the shade, potentially yielding the porch to you -- or vise versa.

Your back porch would make a great screened porch -- you could even leave one end not screened for the pets and/or add a pet door lockable at your option. If you ever need to replace the porch roof, you could use greenhouse material over the arbor style frame, add sliding glass doors with screen doors and create a sun room with the option of being a screened porch.

I recently read something about using hay bales as a raised garden for planting tomatoes and intend to try that for a few plants this year. (I plan to set several of them in the yard without the dolly, though.)

https://bonnieplants.com/library/how-to-condition-and-plant-a-straw-bale/

You don't need to fill your yard or make all the improvements to it at once. Pick one or two improvements to finish before adding more. Enjoy.

texanniew agradeció a suezbell
  • PRO
    ModernBackyard
    hace 8 años

Hi! Happy to see you are starting with that fantastic covered patio and simply shaped, enclosed space. I offer an affordable, web-based design service that may be of interest to you: http://www.modernbackyard.com/how-it-works.html. Feel free to check it out!

Best,

Julie

julie@modernbackyard.com

texanniew agradeció a ModernBackyard
  • PRO
    Maple Leaf Landscaping & Excavating, LLC
    hace 8 años

Don't be sad sad. You have an clean open slate to work with. As a landscaper we love these types of jobs, so much potential. This could be a great entertaining area. I can envision an outdoor kitchen type area. I would suggest hardscaping with pavers. Techo Bloc has some wonderful patterns and colors. My favorite is the Monticello. Collection. With your adorable little diggers I suggest raised garden beds. You could go with a matching wood with your new fence, or stick with the hardscape and do low retaining wall block. If you don't want to go raised, then I would suggest you use decorative stone instead of wood mulch. Less likely the pooches will dig stones. Also if you really want water, a hot tub would be so relaxing, and raised so those little cuties can't get in. Maybe even a nice fire pit. If you like hardscape go on some manufactures websites for ideas. Techo Bloc, Cambridge, CST, Belgard. Good luck!

texanniew agradeció a Maple Leaf Landscaping & Excavating, LLC
  • texanniew
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you all for your great suggestions! I know it has so much potential.

• emmarene9
    hace 8 años

I have made two rather crude images of what I think is a good beginning garden for your yard. For a sense of privacy I would add small trees. If you know the species of your little tree then use that tree. Crape Myrtle that is mildew resistant would be pretty also. Choose one that does not get taller than twenty feet. Then I gave you a few broadleaf evergreen shrubs spaced between the trees. I show some ground cover shrubs next to your house. Taller shrubs would be fine too. In my own yard I have medium height Nandina growing in that exact space. Just be sure not to plant too close to the house or the fence. Dogs will patrol the fence line and for my dogs it also meant running behind the Nandina. You could put mulch down next to the house so that the dogs do not run in mud. You could use pine straw as it is not advised to place wood mulch next to a house. In my drawing a show a "border" of about five feet which is a good distance. However, I would not make a border right away. I would wait until the shrubs are larger. Once you have a border you will have to weed it. Mowing around the shrubs will be easier in the beginning. I advise that you go to a native nursery to find what shrubs will work for you. One thing to know about the plant size listed on most commercial plant labels, the height they mention is a mature height. Plants continue to grow after maturity, so it is better to ask what the maximum height is.

I am sure you have more grand dreams in mind for your garden but I am showing a simple way to begin.

texanniew agradeció a emmarene9
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 8 años

Having two areas fenced off from each other will allow you to have a lush Houston garden in one part and a dog friendly area in another.

texanniew agradeció a apple_pie_order
  • texanniew
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Emmarene, thanks for the drawings!! You are right, starting simple is probably better...also better on the budget too!

• emmarene9
    hace 8 años

You are welcome. I forgot to say that you can plant annuals in pots on the patio.

texanniew agradeció a emmarene9
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.