Houzz Logo Print
suja_thomas29

Chesterfield Sofa or something else?

Suja Thomas
hace 8 años

Hello Houzz friends,

This is my first post :-) I really like Chesterfield Sofas, and I have uploaded a photo of one I like, I would add colour cushions to it as its grey but may buy a blue colour. However, one friend said they are not very homely and inviting and comfortable looking, do people think they are too formal?

I want my home to be cosy as well when guests come, so willing to rethink. I have uploaded a photo of my open plan living room and it is a small space. Any ideas on what sofas and colours that would look good would be great! :-) The sofa in the photo an old one from the previous owner so that is going on completion.

Many thanks in advance!

S

Comentarios (28)

• PRO
    Oasys Property Solutions
    hace 8 años

How about a modern interpretation of the Chesterfield, e.g. Jumbo or Deco which would be slightly cosier.

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you :-) I like the Deco. I'm also thinking it would be good to not have something with too low a back, so maybe the chesterfield is not tall enough..if possible I'm looking for my new sofa to be a sofa bed for occasional guests as well.

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    hace 8 años

Hi, you have a lovely place. More like minimalism but surely you will add more stuff around in time? As I understand you like neat and light, I will suggest to stay with it. The sofa choice is classy and absolutely great but still soft accessories is a must. For example, white throw and a set of cushions white+ light +dark grey, choose of different fabric (woolly or furry as well). Add textures. If you feel like you want add personal colour, better choose one! I see on pic you already have something red. You can stick to this colour or mustard or simply white. Add small accessories. You even can find cushion grey+small pattern of accent colour. Keep it simple. Sometimes it isn't all about colour, add textures to make it cozier.

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi Thanks AlenaCDesign :-) Yes this photo is from the previous owner's design so he had it minimalist. When I move in a few weeks it will be empty and I will definitely have nice stuff to make it warmer, I have some nice pop art etc. That's a great idea about the textures, I didn't think of that, I like the idea of the furry throw. I was thinking yellow or red, I do like red. Thanks for your good advice! :-)

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I meant yellow and red for cushions :-)

• debrettster
    hace 8 años
    You can get high backed Chesterfield sofas. This one in my sitting room in especially comfy on the cushions but supports your back too!
  • Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Awesome it looks cosy and comfortable :)

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

So what's your style for the place? Classic contemporary? I'm only trying to guess it from the sofa you liked :) Would be great to get a clue on your vision and then it will be easier to advice you different things ;)

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I just found this one which I might go and see in a store on the weekend contemporary and a sofa bed, it seems most sofas are about 80 cm high so maybe the back of a chesterfield won't be too short..

• minnie101
    hace 8 años

I Love chesterfields, they go with so many styles. Why not look at a velvet version? I don't think they need too much in the way of accessories. Any colour will go in the room but maybe avoid anything too dark if you were thinking of navy/inky blue with the room size although it may work if the furniture is rearranged. If you choose grey I would try and match the undertone, as the sofa colour you've chosen doesn't quite work (on my iPad though which may be wrong!). Do you have a pic of the other end of the room?

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

@AlenaCDesign I'm trying to go for a contemporary look to the apartment, Scandinavian style, I will have some nice colour with the my roy Lichtenstein art work going on the wall, this is it in my old place it is quite big.

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

@minnie101 thanks for your comment the velvet looks interesting. I was think the same about the flooring how I would I match the grey sofa with the grey floor? I was also thinking a blue sofa. Here is another photo of the room. :)

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    hace 8 años

This is a fine piece of art indeed! Definitely stick to modern Scandinavian. Chesterfield furniture will look out of place with this piece of art, it will be a terrible mismatch. I like the sofa you chose, it is modern and simple. I think will work well!

• PRO
    Max Marshall Design
    hace 8 años
    Have you thought about getting something bespoke? Then you can combine all your wants and needs and get your perfect sofa. You could have a hi back sofa bed that is upholstered in the style of a chesterfield but in any fabric.

Contact us if it something you would like to talk about in more detail.

www.maxmarshalldesign.co.uk
  • Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

@alenacdesign thanks a lot about the art it is my favourite :-). Ok so even that grey Chesterfield I posted won't go you think a more contemporary piece, I think that makes sense. I'm going to go and try the contemporary sofa this weekend see if it is comfortable. Should I try and match the grey with the flooring?

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    hace 8 años

You don't have to match everything in grey in your place, flooring can be anything you want - brown or light as on a picture. It's up to you taste, don't be afraid, there is no mistakes here. That's advantage of using grey, it is neural colour and will work well with anything. Do you plan to change flooring and kitchen cabinets too?

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you. I will keep the grey flooring as it is brand new and use a nice rug. I agree the grey is a nice neutral colour. I am thinking of changing the dark grey kitchen cupboards to white, as white is always neutral and will lighten the reception room as it is north east facing.

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    hace 8 años

Do you plan to leave white walls? The story is white cabinets and white walls will look very cold in northern side room. You have good option to add mocha or tones of brown. If you go for a fully white kitchen then I will suggest to add warm tone for backslash or paint whole wall in reach colour, again any warm colour. It will give a beautiful contrast and sense of warmth.

Example of very rich tone

under sea kitchen · Más información

The Zero Energy Home by Potterhill Homes · Más información

Look at the nice contrast white and brown

"Claremont" · Más información

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you Alena, that's a good tip! In my other place I had a red glass splashback, check it out below :-) as that had a white kitchen, with just the fridge red. I will see what colour I can put in, I might keep the kitchen as is because it is going to be a hassle to make white I think.

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    hace 8 años

This red is gorgeous! I love vibrant colour! You have great taste ;)

• PRO
    AlenaCDesign
    hace 8 años

Yeah I see the problem to make kitchen white. All cabinets have grey base. Anyway, I like grey kitchen, there is nothing wrong with it, according to picture.

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Glad you like the grey kitchen, I wasn't sure about it but I think it will add warmth as it is a dark grey. :)

• irenecb
    hace 8 años

Hi Suja, I think a chesterfield will look really good in that room because the kitchen is very modern and swanky. By placing a traditional sofa with a modern kitchen you will have made a juxtaposition of styles. Juxtaposition of styles seems to really have greater impact than if you had matched 2 similar styles together, ie- modern kitchen and modern sofa. I think chesterfields are comfy as well. Sofa Sofa sell chesterfields that pull out into double guest beds and they are usefull. Another idea is a knowle sofa or drop arm sofa. We currently have one, its great so comfy, we simply had a memory foam mattress made for us which we placed under the seat cushions. When we have a guest over we simply remove the sofa seat cushions and a large single bed awaits. If you have your heart set on a chesterfield that isn't a sofa bed version. You can get a memory foam mattress on line for about £100 and place under the seat cushions. You then get a fitted sheet place over the mattress in the same shade as your sofa and place a throw. Either way, don't compromise on what you want, people always have opinions but its your £££ and it will be your home.

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Hi Irene, Thanks for your comments, I agree, I need to go with what I like, on Sunday I tried a few chesterfields, and some were very comfortable but I don't think they will go with the flat now and I prefer a higher back, but I still like them but may be for a bigger property as my flat is small. I love the idea about the memory foam mattress, that is very helpful! The main reason is I'm finding the sofa beds compromise a bit on style, so a memory foam mattress might be best for guests and just getting a normal sofa.

I really like this sofa I saw in sofas and stuff, will be interesting what people think, it comes in lots of colours. Also the version similar in John lewis was very comfy, I have posted it second. :-)

• Suja Thomas
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

John Lewis sofa, very comfy, more expensive

• becsmoore
    hace 8 años
    minnie101 could you tell me about the gorgeous green velvet sofa, please? Do you know where it is from and a price? Thanks! :-)
  • minnie101
    hace 8 años

Hi becsmoore. Here's the link to that one http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/authenticfurniture/product/the-old-bessie-three-seater-velvet

i haven't looked but you may get it cheaper going direct

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.