Houzz Logo Print
lenlafuente

Padded pelmet or not

lenlafuente
hace 8 años
Hello,

My husband and I have been considering dressing up our windows around our open living area with padded pelmets.

We have vertical blinds which I find very practical compared to curtains. However, at times I think they are too dull. I came across the idea of using padded pelmets with vertical blinds in one of the display homes we visited. I just wasn't able to take photos.

We are not sure whether it would look good on our house as we just have a standard ceiling. My worry is that it might close in the space and make the house look smaller than it already is.

Can you please share with us what you think?

The first photo (with red and orange cushions) is the open living area where we're considering the padded pelmets. The second is a photo I found to see how pelmets in blinds look like and the third photo is a sample of the fabric I have in mind.

Would love to know your thoughts!

Cheers
Arleen

Comentarios (13)

• User
    hace 8 años

If you are going to that expense, it is worth changing your blinds to a newer option.

• lenlafuente
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Trek and Ivy & Finch! I am trying to avoid the curtains because of the need to change and wash them once in a while (that sounds too lazy of me). I used to have curtains in our previous home. But having said that I think you both have a point that the cost of pelmets might equate to actually changing the window treatment.

You are right Ivy & Finch I wanted to achieve a look that softens the dull blinds.

Hmm...
  • jmm1837
    hace 8 años

Not a fan of verticals myself. I think they look pretty dated now, and to be honest, I think the padded pelmets do too. I'd replace the lot with roller blinds.

• lenlafuente
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks jmm! I guess you're right. Though I find the vertical blinds very practical I think we can think of a more contemporary style for the windows. I better start researching on roller blinds then!

I hope someone can recommend a type/style that may go well with the design of our house. But thanks for your suggestion!
  • Chel Maloney
    hace 8 años
    You can get blinds that slide like door panels, hiding behind each other. So instead of thirty or forty vertical blinds, you have three panels, that slide into one.
  • PRO
    More Than Curtains
    hace 8 años

padded pelmets are a great option!! They are not out of date given the amount that I do for my clients!!! If you like the verticals do not change them. It looks like there is a considerable gap between the cornice and the top of the verticals, so dont feel compelled to fit the pelmet all the way up to the ceiling. Keep the pelmet about 25cm in depth and make sure the track section of the verticals are covered. Cover them in a plain but textured fabric that wont date and consider a contrast piped edge. They will not make your room look smaller.

• LouieT
    hace 8 años

Pelmets will come back like everything else eventually does. In saying that I agree about a plain colour with some banding or braid to complement your furnishings. It looks like you love colour so I don't think you need more & I also think your fabric choice would look alright with the existing palette.

• scottevie
    hace 8 años

I think the pelmets will give a nice, polished finish to your blinds. I would be inclined to choose a neutral/lighter coloured fabric to blend in with walls, blinds and floor rather than a standout fabric which as you mentioned to keep the space light and airy plus allow flexibility to change your furniture/decor down the track if you wanted to. The online store has samples available so I would make good use of this and order a few as I find it hard to judge colours on screen.

• lenlafuente
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you More than Curtains, LouieT, scottevie, for giving me a different perspective on the window treatment.

I must admit I rarely see sample photos of pelmet with vertical blinds (usually done with curtains) so for a while I thought they may actually be an unpopular option.

Great suggestions! Thanks a lot!
  • lenlafuente
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Chel! I have not seen a sliding vertical blinds as you described but I will search online for some sample photos. Choices...choices...
  • Leanne Pridmore
    hace 8 años

If you like padded pelmets you should have padded pelmets. You will be the one looking at them. I had glides only to start with but quickly called back my window dressing lady to put padded pelmets in. I don't regret do it all all. I think it finished off the look.

• lenlafuente
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks Leanne. It does look nice on your windows.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.