Houzz Logo Print
tshestowsky

Help with flooring decision pleeeeeeeeeeeease?

tshestowsky
hace 11 años
We are about to embark on a kitchen reno. I've selected dove white cabinetry with a pewter glaze and an expresso coloured island. (Counter top and backplash not selected yet). I need to choose flooring and struggling because the kitchen floor joins main hallway, dining room and family room which all have cherry hardwood. The hardwood is old and in rough shape so we'll refinish that at some point which means I dont know what colour it will end up - assuming much lighter than it is now. My challenge is do I go with a light/white coloured tile in the kitchen or do I go with something more in line with the hardwood colour? Considering a porcelin tile that looks like hardwood and try to match the colour to my existing cherry floors? My husband is really concerned about a white tile with white cabinetry - too much white??? Help!

Comentarios (4)

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    hace 11 años
    Well I can give you a small piece of advise, unless you can match the floors with actual wood and you would never know the difference I would stay away from anything else. So don't choose the wood porcelain tile, it will look like you tried but got it wrong. As for what other type of flooring, this can be very open ended and a personal preference decision. Here is my suggestion, hop on Houzz and browse through kitchens with the search term white or white cabinets. Look through those and start an idea book of kitchens with floors that you like. You and your husband will be able to get a visual for what color and type of flooring you like. Then all you have to do is go shopping and find that flooring. If you find one you love in a photo you can even ask the designer what they used. Good luck, sounds like a fun project!
  • PRO
    KJ Tiles Co
    hace 11 años
    May we suggest a neutral color tile that has beautiful wood grains in a 12 X 24 porcelain....
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    hace 11 años
    Use the cherry through the kitchen, refinish the rest of the house and use stain to unify old and new. The oxidation of the old cherry floor will revert to a much lighter color when sanded. It is only the first 1/32" or slightly more. Consult with a local wood flooring pro to get the best results.
  • tshestowsky
    Autor original
    hace 11 años
    Thank you so much for your quick responses and advice - greatly appreciated! I've been spending hours upon hours looking through photos on Houzz with the search criteria "white cabinets" and most (probably 90%) show darker, hardwood looking floors....this is why I'm confused. I love this look as I really like the contrast between the white cabinets and flooring but just dont think I can pull it off with the flooring adjoining my cherry floors :(
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.