Houzz Logo Print
cgoss52

Your experience with crackle subway tile. Advice please.

Xty G (z4)
hace 8 años

We are in the process of choosing a kitchen backsplash. I had it narrowed down to using a crackle finished subway tile. The selections I am considering are from Walker Zanger, Fireclay, and Adex Hamilton. I came here to find sample pictures and installation tips and came across this comment about using tile with a crackle finish:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/crackle-tile-is-very-porous-and-retains-stains-dsvw-vd~1158194?n=1

The post says that all crackle tile is porous even after sealing and any kind of colored liquid will permanently stain in through the cracks.

For those of you who have installed subway tiles with a crackle finish as a kitchen backsplash and it is at least a year old, has this been the case for you?

I am okay sealing the tile once a year or so and do know we need to seal the tiles before installing, but I do a lot of cooking so splashes are going to happen.

Should we reconsider our choice?

Comentarios (31)

• Stacy Lawrence
    hace 8 años

Oh shoot, I was going to install the Alex Hamilton crackle also...and thought sealing would be sufficient. If this is the case, then I may just do a marble backsplash and deal with etching rather than stains in the crackle, bummer.

• Xty G (z4)
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Yeah, bummer, but I am hoping the experience of the poster was with cheaper, lesser quality tiles. Fingers crossed we will hear some positive reviews.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

I have only seen it installed once and my clients were ripping it out she said it always looked dirty .

Xty G (z4) agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Xty G (z4)
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Jewel, I also posted this question in the kitchen forum also and received an answer from someone who used a Fireclay crackle tile and it hasn't stained.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

my crackle is 15 months old, i have no staining. i was taken aback when it was first installed...the crackle lines were very dark. but the installer assured me it was just water incursion and when it dried out it would be fine.

all that said....i have an island cooktop, so my backsplash is not being bombarded with grease and cooking splatters. i guess i wouldnt have chosen crackle for behind a cook top. it stands up fine for behind the sink and mixer.

Xty G (z4) agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • Natalie
    hace 8 años

Hi---

I think the crackle tile is a fabulous choice and from my experience, have never had a complaint about staining from any of my clients.

As for sealing ceramic tile--I've never heard of such a thing. Only the grout needs to be sealed.

Hope this is helpful. Good Luck with your project!

• Xty G (z4)
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Natalie, thanks for your input! I know, it is weird that ceramic tile needs to be sealed, but I think it's the cracks in the crackle glaze that can be porous from what I have read. Perhaps the better quality tiles from the companies I mentioned have another glaze over the crackle finish. I may contact them to ask.

• Natalie
    hace 8 años

Yes, I think it best to contact the companies and see what they recommend. :))

CheerS!

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años

you can test a sample tile... just put a drop of water on it. it will either immediately sink in, and the lines will darken...or it wont.

Xty G (z4) agradeció a Judy Mishkin
  • Xty G (z4)
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Diana, thanks for your input! Gramercy Park is the WZ i am considering. I would love to see a picture of your kitchen :).

• avery2pt0
    hace 8 años

We have the WZ Gramercy Park in the Pipe Smoke color too on our kitchen backsplash. Had it professionally sealed after moving in June of 2014 (about 20 months ago).

Haven't noticed any issues on ours and the backsplash is installed right behind our cooktop, too.

I will check a little more closely today. Hubby does all the cooking....so haven't really been paying as much attention to that area.... :-(

Xty G (z4) agradeció a avery2pt0
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 8 años

Here's my kitchen and Walker-Zanger backsplash in Gramercy Park (Pipe Smoke) with a black liner.

• Carol Johnson
    hace 8 años
    Usually it's recommended to seal it before & after grout is applied.
  • curlycook
    hace 8 años
    Our two year old crackle finish tile was sealed after installation and has absolutely no staining issues.
  • Xty G (z4)
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you Diana! Beautiful!

curlycook, from your picture its actually hard to tell. Was your tile pretty rustic to begin with including the darker spots and chips? Or were you being sarcastic? Sorry, it's just hard to tell from your post.

• avery2pt0
    hace 8 años

Heres some pics of the WZ Gramercy by our cooktop area.

pics not great (upper hood is casting shadows)....but hope it helps.

• curlycook
    hace 8 años
    Yes, it's very rustic and looks the same as when it was installed. We have had no porosity or staining issues, and I cook a lot!
  • D DN
    hace 8 años
    I have high end crackle tile and I have mid grade crackle tile in 3 places in my house. I am addicted to crackle!
    Once the tiles are set, but before grout, the tiles need to be sealed no matter what the manufacturer says.
    After grout, you can seal again if you like. But you want to be sure to seal crackle tile before grouting!! That should be your rule of thumb to follow.

We have no stains on our crackle tile. We get wild in the kitchen with grease and colorful foods and not one stain. They are still beautiful tiles.
  • Xty G (z4)
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Curlycook and avery2pto, thanks so much!

• Xty G (z4)
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

And Dawn!! Thanks!

• PRO
    TheGrouStore
    hace 8 años

Natalie I couldn't have agreed more to your comment in regards to sealing ceramic tile. I may even go a step further and say that sealing grout may not serve as the protection most of us think it may. I often ask my customers why they feel that sealing grout is needed and the most common answer is that they feel it serves as water resistance or worse yet, water proof protection layer at their shower. My reply is to take a minute and read front/rear labels on grout sealers to see if they can find documentation to support this thought.

• Xty G (z4)
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Dawn, Avery, and Diana, if you have an exposed ending or top edge of the WZ Gramercy tiles, how did you finish the edge?

• Xty G (z4)
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I am really liking the Pipe Smoke! So glad you all shared pictures!

• Xty G (z4)
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I heard back from Fireclay about sealing their ceramic crackle tiles. This is the answer I was given: "Hello. Both the white and recycled tile can be used as a backsplash. The white clay tile comes sealed by our factory, but we always recommend sealing before installing in general."

Not necessarily a straight answer about the crackle finish, but enough of an answer for me to know I need to seal them.

• PRO
    hace 8 años

Xty G (z3), all my top edges die into the upper cabinets. For the side edges I used a quarter round that my installer sliced in half lengthwise.

Xty G (z4) agradeció a Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • D DN
    hace 8 años
    When I used Fireclay less than one year ago, their instructions stated that no sealing was necessary for their crackle tile prior to grout. I used another crackle tile in the same job that did require sealing prior to grout. So to avoid confusion for the contractors and to be extra safe, I sealed it all prior to grout.
    Xty G (z4) agradeció a D DN
  • Stacy Lawrence
    hace 8 años

@dianabier Can you look at my profile and see my backsplash options please?? I would appreciate it :)

• whocareswhoiam
    hace 7 años

I received tile instructions for a 'non-crackle' tile and it also stated to "seal" before installation. The fabricator said he never heard of doing such a thing and sealing it afterwards would be sufficient.

• PRO
    hace 6 años

By the way, I never sealed the crackle backsplash tile in my kitchen, and it is just fine. In my experience, a backsplash doesn't really need it. Now using a crackle in a shower is a different story, and I've been cautioned against it. But if you did use it in a shower, then sealing it would be warranted.

• Usuario de Houzz-708724012
    hace 3 años

I have installed the cracked tile in the shower when I make my cuts I rinsed off the cut and install the tile as it dried my red slurry penetrated the crackles any suggestions that would remove it before I sealed it and grouted it

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.