Houzz Logo Print
fawzia101

Curb appeal??!

fawzia101
hace 8 años
Our new home. UK style bungalow. Front is modest at best (spring/summer) and drab at worst (autumn/winter). Loads of square footage (on a sloping plot so front is deceiving), back of house has much more stature (will add a photo). Definitely potential, hence the purchase.

But....I know nothing about gardens except that I don't want twee beds. Topiary? Architectural boxed plants?? Any ideas gratefully received!!

Thanks in advance from an avid Houzz scanner.

Comentarios (14)

• PRO
    Renovation Management by Bastani Consultants
    hace 8 años

Don't know your budget? I would start by painting the windows white. They seem very dark and it draws your eye to them. And the walls could be painted the same as they are now or like something below. Next fill the window boxes with lots of flowers. It doesn't matter how old a place is when it has flower boxes overflowing with flowers it looks charming and sweet. And if it is in the budget, I would go for brick pavers in the driveway.

228 Pendleton Road · Más información

Bungalow · Más información

View from sidewalk · Más información

Garage and Breezeway Addition · Más información

• PRO
    Bell Architects - Creative sustainable
    hace 8 años

As it is a UK project, you would be best maximising on the English cottage feel to make the most of its scale and character. It feels a bit dark and heavy at the moment, so aim to sharpen the colours and textures. Gravel is great as long as you can source a good quarry nearby, but bear in mind that it moves around a bit and you need to care for it a little - paviors are another option but you also need to manage the weeds that grow in the cracks.

You could add better timberwork detailing to the eaves, soffits and peaks - maybe including some gable finials for detail? And you could even consider changing the detailing of the eaves to a show cut rafter dental detail.

What is your orientation? Depending on direction, you could also grow a Climber or creeper on the walls on a nice trellis or wire - watch out for them growing into the eaves though - this can be a challenge!

• fawzia101
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks for the ideas - some I had not thought of and love all the example photos.

Re: style, I'm more contemporary than country.

Re: budget, I don't have it fixed at this stage. For the immediate term I want to make cosmetic enhancements. Once we've briefed and agreed on architects to create a full Reno plan we can budget and spend in phases.

Retiling the roof feels longer term. Digging up the front border area, reprinting windows and adding plants could definitely be this Spring.

Any further ideas welcome - and thank you so much!
  • Sarah McNally
    hace 8 años
    Really agree with lightening the windows/frames to me they are making the property look dark. If you like contemporary try raised beds with spiky plants and some soft plants like lavender.

Can be cheap to do and add impact, colour and soften as well.

Good luck!
  • PRO
    Bell Architects - Creative sustainable
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Have you found out the orientation yet? I.e. which way is the front of the house facing?

• PRO
    The Classic Barn Company
    hace 8 años
    Without trying to sound "self-serving" (honest). We come across projects like this quite often, the leading garage sticking out could benefit from an improvement as its stands out at the front, the cheapest option would be to clad it's side walls to create a combine clad & render effect, or as we find clients replace the garage with a 90 degree positioned oak framed 2 bay barn which not only softens the front, but also becomes more practical, eye catching and adds value to the bungalow. Combined with some planting features/landscaping and maybe a log-store on the barns would change the front considers ally. Nice house, lots of potential.
  • PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    hace 8 años

How about timber cladding and some nice new timber windows in a light colour? Have a look at this

Back to Front Transformation of '60s bungalow · Más información

• Helen Scholes
    hace 8 años
    Oh dear once again a headline with the wrong spelling of kerb, meaning the edge of the pavement ie what you see from the road! Not curb as in to stop!
  • PRO
    Arthur Road Landscapes
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

For a contemporary and low maintenance planting scheme at the front of the house try a mix of different sized box balls with some grasses such as Anemanthele lessoniana- will do well in sun or shade. If its a sunny corner some Alliums will look great in this scheme.

Don't mulch with slate as it is a nightmare to weed when you weeds self-sown into it, use an organic mulch like spent mushroom compost- better for your garden in the long run and cheaper than slate.

Get rid of the window boxes - they are too small and require a lot of watering and maintenance.

• k11agl
    hace 8 años
    In terms of gardening, I didn't know much either, but one thing I've learnt is to steal ideas from the garden landscaping where I live - it's a huge new build site and I keep going around to look at what plants they have put in the common green areas, how the grouping is like, and how the plants are fairing through the winter. Then I research what might be good for my little gardens, front and back. New builds right? I'm sure you will find one nearby! Good luck!
  • alyper
    hace 8 años

A few ideas: First off, think about unifying the drive covering, probably a good load of gravel over the lot is the simplest solution. Remove the tree from the front corner of the house and the grass, and put down slabs leaving large gaps to fill with plants, perhaps a selection of grasses (hard surface will give you access for window cleaning!). Stand a couple of large containers either side of the middle window. Remove the balls from the grass, and keep it perfectly mown, making it an excellent foil for the house. Remove the baskets under the windows. Have fun!!

• fawzia101
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Gosh, I've returned after a week travelling for work to loads more suggestions - thanks all! To respond specifically:

- the house faces south so gets the lovely morning (and in the uk, sometimes the only) sun.

- the husband has avoided putting plants in the planters due to maintenance and they're generally twee so comments here have confirmed to me that they will be coming out

- love the idea of wooden boxes with the spiky plants and grasses

- also like the concept of taking out the grass/bed/tree in front completely out and replacing with slabs

- yes to lightening the windows

- to the Barn company, I honestly don't mind the advice and I'd never seen sloping garage roofs.

- nicking ideas from landscaping of new builds....great idea!

- finally, Helen Scholes, I'm embarrassed about the spelling of kerb. Had no idea!

Thanks again all.
  • mariongold
    hace 8 años

Hide the car. Paint window frames& front door a light muted colour). Remove or fill window baskets. Strategically place sculptural plants in tubs (eg pair - one either side of front door and one on corner of garage which should be different to other 2). Dress windows to match to create rhythm and cohesion.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.