Houzz Logo Print
elodie_radier

How to decorate my dining room??

Elodie Radier
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

Hi everyone, I moved to this house and feel very uninspired for the dining room. So far there is a dining table and a console , but a big empty wall ! Could you inspire me on how I could make it more cosy? It's 2.80m long, I'm thinking another sofa? A high and wide shelf? Any advice is welcome, thank you

Comentarios (23)

• belsize
    hace 8 años

Really lovely ideas from AJ. I think getting the bones right first is annoyingly essential. So as she says, sorting out the floor in the hearth area and extending the panelling round would be my first move. I love mirrors for all the light and sparkle`and I agree that more plants would introduce life and colour. Not so sure about necessarily reinstating fireplace. Centring the table would please the eye`. It's a lovely room and enough space so I wouldn't want to fill it up with extra furniture.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    hace 8 años

Thank you Belsize :))

• Kittihawke
    hace 8 años
    I see you need to keep the areas in front of the back door and the stairs free for foot traffic. Would you consider putting a small Welsh dresser where that hearth used to be? You wouldn't need to worry about the floor then and if it were compact you could still easily move around it. It would look well with your style and add character too. I keep baking tins etc in mine and books and ornaments on the upper shelves. You can get simple modern lined ones that don't look dated.
    Elodie Radier agradeció a Kittihawke
  • puffinrock
    hace 8 años
    Storage! A dresser would be good.
  • Diane
    hace 8 años

Hello Elodie,

What a lovely space. I agree that you need to keep the floor space between the back door and the stairs clear except maybe for a couple of long slim baskets (lined out with plastic) for muddy shoes and wellies. You have a lovely picture on the other wall - why not have a photo/favourites wall - a large board coloured whatever you like fixed to the wall so you can attached different pics at different times as the mood takes you.

How about installing another light the same over the table - I don't think you want to move the table as you have 3 doorways into the room. This way you could turn the table round sometimes if it would work better for entertaining and the extra light brightens the room.

Good luck with it all.

Elodie Radier agradeció a Diane
  • k11agl
    hace 8 años
    I'd move the dining l table in so create space as you walk through the front door. If you want cosy, I'd paint that wall in a dark(er) accent colour. I recently did mine in F&B's Charleston gray and plots lovely. See pics below, evening and early morning shades. Then if you fancy and still has space, put some chests, wall shelves or wall art. I might go for a large mirror to make the room look wider. I'm thinking on doing exactly that for my wall.
  • scalpman
    hace 8 años
    Let me see your on a web site with millions of images of dining rooms, what to do, no nothing coming to mind.
  • minnie101
    hace 8 años

Hi Elodie. I would also move the dining table. A sheepskin throw for a chair (or do you have a bench?) with a low pile rug under the table. For on top of the table perhaps a vase (glass bottle) of faux pussy willow or similar. Perhaps move your wooden bowls onto the table and also add a smoked glass vase. I'd add a table lamp for the cabinet if you can move the speakers. Is the blind new? If you wanted to cosy the room you look to have room to add a curtain over the door. I'd also add a basket for shoes. If you wanted to keep the table where it is I would move the pendant light and add art over the table. You may just have room for a small loveseat but would mask it out on the floor first as it looks tight by the stairs.

Elodie Radier agradeció a minnie101
  • christopher_roff
    hace 8 años

Hi Elodie,

I agree with Diane about a plastic lined box for wellies by the back door - great idea! Do you have any way to create a covered space outside the back door to house wellies? Might be worth exploring this if you want to keep the room as a sophisticated dinning space?!

I also agree about the painting above the panelled wall - really eye catching and exotic! Maybe a similarly bold painting would work on the wall next to the back door? American painter Tom Russell has some terrific pieces that are affordable now and likely to appreciate in the future:

http://artbeatgallerycolorado.com/tom_russell.php

AJ's idea about continuing the panelling might work well, although if there's a radiator on one wall this may cause problems.

Good luck!

• gold895
    hace 8 años
    Whoa Scalpman - I like it. You are so right.
  • PRO
    smb interior design
    hace 8 años
    Hello Elodie
    Your own style appears quite contemporary so I personally wouldn't recommend panelling around the room. I would remove the existing panelling in fact and leave the wall that the sideboard is on free of anything other than a large artwork. The table and chairs should definitely be central with a dramatic light fitting above. I would then add a large sideboard on the 'blank wall' above which would be a large mirror. Place a statement object d'art on the sideboard which can be reflected in the mirror, and a floor standing lamp to the left of the sideboard near the window. A tall vase or a couple of floor lanterns on the right hand side of the new sideboard will add interest. Hope this helps. Shona, SMB Interior Design, Bournemouth.
    Elodie Radier agradeció a smb interior design
  • catkins007
    hace 8 años

I'd have a squishy comfy sofa along that wall with a side table (or 2 if you have enough room) with pretty reading lamps.

• Pauline cotton
    hace 8 años
    Turn the dining table the other way round and put it in the middle of the room and then get some quite vibrant colourful wall art - that would be the cheapest thing to do if money is tight.
  • PRO
    Artilignum
    hace 8 años

thank you

• PRO
    Tylko
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Hi Elodie,

how about a custom-made shelf ? It could help to cosy up the interior, become a great eye-catching piece and provide a lot of additional storage!

Have a look at our Ivy. You can personalise it on our website or via Tylko app - which also allows you to visualise the product in a space where you want to place it.

let's get organised! · Más información

Tylko for businesses · Más información

• PRO
    Urban Space Projects
    hace 8 años

it think an important note is that you are using washable paints i.e. (delux diamond matt or farrow and ball modern emulsion) these paints are much more hardwearing and suit high traffic areas or areas prone to steam and heat

• Jenny Boyd
    hace 8 años

Hi Elodie

I've been looking for something like your little sideboard, could you tell me where it's from?

Jenny

• embletoni
    hace 8 años

I'd move the dining table to the other side of the room. Centred would probably be annoying since you'll need frequent access to the front door and stairs, less so to the side door (which you could change to a window.)

Then think about colour/Art/mirror/lighting options.

And lower the back door blind and picture; they both look 'wrong' visually - especially the blind.

Elodie Radier agradeció a embletoni
  • embletoni
    hace 8 años

Forgot to say; I really like the panelling but would also sort the floorboards out, unless you put a rug down.

• Elodie Radier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

wow, thank you so much for all your great ideas!!! Unfortunately I cannot move the table centrally as it would block the way between the kitchen and the stairs/ doorways... I like the ideas of moving the pendant lights right above the table, installing a large mirror on the empty wall..I could actually move the sideboard there and add nice baskets for shoes next to the door . Also add a big painting above the table. Gonna give a few try to see what works! and agree the blind doesnt look good, it was just previously there. Thanks :)

• Elodie Radier
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Jenny, I got the sideboard from West Elm, last year collection . It's mango wood and iron legs.

• PRO
    Style Our Home
    hace 8 años

Hello,

Here at Style Our Home we think that the space would look great with one of our shelving units or bookcases here are some ideas but take a look on our website and if there is anything that you like the look of don't hesitate to call us

Many thanks,

www.styleourhome.com

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.