Houzz Logo Print
anna_nangle

Our back deck

Anna Jean
hace 8 años
We are looking for suggestions to complete this wall behind our in built spa. The deck is merbau and our house is red brick. We are planning on installing glass pool fencing across the front of the spa and were thinking of screens or something for the remaining wall, but are unsure. Would appreciate any suggestions. We aren't real green thumbs so don't think a green wall would be a good choice for us.

Comentarios (19)

• PRO
    ArchiPals
    hace 8 años
    Hi Anna

A spa deck sounds a bit nice !

I would keep it simple and run the decking up the wall also.
    People often make the mistake of trying to make too many Hero's in a small space.
    You incorporate a thin cabinet hiding a TV ?
    Some layering would allow concealed lighting which might also be nice.

Now make sure you talk to an electrician about any electrical works near water.
    Also have a private certifier make sure your pool fence is approved.

Good luck sounds like fun.
  • Anna Jean
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks, we thought about that but I was worried it might make the area too dark and make it feel a bit like you are in an 80's sauna... One side is a bedroom window so I don't want to take light away from that room. We have done the half wall on one side in merbau, but I'm worried it will take natural light away. We already have plans to put lights in the deck, my hubby is a sparky so can do himself.
  • User
    hace 8 años

I think I would just love some kind of wall that allowed the tiny little lights that look like starlight when they are switched on. I am a bit weird so prob not for anyone else but I would be doing a wall of something I could do in a darkish shade of blue (not navy, maybe royal blue) with lots of tiny holes with lights behind that would come on at sunset (so maybe solar?) and look light a clear night sky.

• PRO
    Tile Living
    hace 8 años

Hi Anna

What a wonderful relaxing zone you're creating! Depending on which way the sun comes in to the spa area, one idea would be to tile in a glass mosaic in soft tones. Not specifically neutral colours (cream to beige to greys) at you don't want to make the area bland, but not in anything too bright (such as bright reds and yellows) where the bright colours may take away from it being an area to relax and unwind. My suggestion is a mosaic that is reflective, without being completely glossy, so as to make the most of the natural light. A pattern such as the one picture, won't draw away from the merbau decking, and won't be competing for attention and greens and browns are generally friends.

This is a popular design for pool and spa areas. Specifically, colour wise, pick colours that complement your bedroom style. Again - nothing too strong in colour that will close it in and look out of place with the red brick exterior.

Looking forward to seeing what you end up choosing.

Best of luck!

• kooky_karen
    hace 8 años

How about commissioning a graffiti artist to paint something bright. As you are not green thumbs, maybe some flowers.

Alternately, a piece metal of wall art - (available on ebay)

• antquadebigpond
    hace 8 años

Saw some screen panels at Bunnings that did not look to bad the other day - you can paint them.

• merylinfaye
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Maybe consider some white gloss colorbond mini orb, it looks great and will reflect light and is easy to maintain. Perhaps you could do a merbau frame around the mini orb to tie the theme together. The mini orb could be used vertical, horizontal or on an angle depending on how much waste you are prepared to have. Keep it simple as the saying goes....less is more.

• Debbie Henton
    hace 8 años

How about a mural of a view of somewhere you would like to holiday, that makes you relax just looking at it?
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/441986150908143220/

• PRO
    Derek Wales and Son Surface Coatings
    hace 8 años

You could clad the wall with cement sheeting ,paint it out black and then fix your timber on top leaving gaps of about 20mm between to give depth to the wall there are a few photo's around on houzz to get the feel.

• Sina Nova
    hace 8 años

I'd go white wall & then a laser cut decorative screen length ways above the spa something like this

• Anthony Woodford
    hace 8 años

Could you use a recycled timber that is wire buffed and you could hang leather straps down at an angle to wooden shelves .

• PRO
    COLORBOND® steel
    hace 8 años

Hi

Thought you might like to see this entry into our latest Share your Experience Competition.

Here is a little more information from the entrant themselves:

"The cladding of the walls behind our spa area and on the walls of the
    teenagers retreat adjoining the deck are COLORBOND® steel WOODLAND GREY®. We have carried the same color through in the render of the outdoor fireplace and
    onto the exterior walls of the house. The woodland grey is complemented by
    the merbau decking, white trimmings and splashes of bright yellow and green."

• PRO
    Derek Wales and Son Surface Coatings
    hace 8 años

looking good, I think it a nice choice.

• PRO
    Outside Space
    hace 8 años

Well done! It turned out a treat. Are you sure you don't want to try some planting in this space?

• Anna Jean
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Outside space we might but we want to see how it looks with the lights and glass fencing and panel first. Maybe some window type boxes under the screens do you think with small plants? We aren't real green thumbs so they would have to be something pretty hardy!
  • PRO
    Outside Space
    hace 8 años

Hi Anna, yes potentially that could be an option. May I ask what is on the other side of that new cladded wall?

• Anna Jean
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    It has weatherboard cladding.
  • PRO
    Outside Space
    hace 8 años

Thanks. So, you could have access to a external tap garden near by?

You could put some small irrigated vertical gardens in this space and plant out some grasses or low growing or cascading plants. This option will require some thought to the wall structure and allow the water to drain away and keep the wall space relatively dry.

The other could be (the photo is not good to see) run horizontal wires internally in a set spacing you desire on the timber cladded wall. Then, plant outside in that corner (in ground or in a large pot) and grow a climbing plant (star jasmine or similar) and train it to grow on the wires you set inside that space. This will tone down some of the hard materials and add some softness... Just a thought!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.