Houzz Logo Print
pjderosa

Backsplash tile to counter or is counter trim piece needed?

pjderosa
hace 8 años

I'm sure this question has been asked, but I'm having trouble getting the right search terms to find it. Our builder is arguing with the architect (again:) so I'm looking for knowledge. He says you need a piece of granite around the back edge of the granite counter even if you have a tile backsplash on the wall. Architect says no way, bring the tile right down to the counter edge. Builder says that is a recipe for water problem. I see both in pics here on Houzz so I was wondering if anyone could summarize the conventional wisdom for me. Is this just purely a matter of aesthetics? Thanks!

Comentarios (4)

• cawaps
    hace 8 años

The granite piece makes it easier for the counter fabricator--the thickness of the granite gives them more margin for error in templating. Tile is thinner, so they have to be more precise. But the idea that tiling down to the counter makes for water problems is wacky--tile counters were very popular for decades, and they didn't go out of fashion over water problems (dirty grout and an uneven work surface were the main culprits there).

pjderosa agradeció a cawaps
  • Navy Momma
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Definitely no counter piece. It looks like the backsplash is an afterthought and far less custom that way. Your builder is saying that because it's easier for the fabricator- that piece hides gaps in the wall where the drywall may be uneven or out of square.

pjderosa agradeció a Navy Momma
  • pjderosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Found the right search: "tile backsplash granite counter" and sure enough many people have asked. Here's one: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2696049/3-granite-backsplash-needed-if-plan-to-tile-backsplash-kitchen?n=5

Takeaway is that it is definitely not necessary and the majority of people don't like it with the extra granite piece. Someone observed that this probably ends up this way most often when the tile was added later over the original granite backsplash.

• PRO
    MarkJames & Co
    hace 8 años

Most often we do tile to the counter BUT I always specify that the first row of tile starts 3/16 above for counter and is filed with caulk that matches the grout. A lot of installers start the tile right on the counter. That doesn't leave enough room for the caulk to function properly, in those cases the caulk fails as the house moves. Everything moves with changes in climate.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.