Houzz Logo Print
ronsomerset

DESPERATE- Wood chimney hood, only have 8' ceilings????

Gloria Fittipaldi
hace 8 años

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me find a chimney style hood, preferably with beadboard. My dilemma is, only 33 wide room for it and around 32" high, due to 8' ceilings. White cottage kitchen. Please help before my husband decides to put microwave in spot!! This area is visible to dinning room, so I'd like to dress it up a little. Thx

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Kristin Leigh ~ Faux Artist
    hace 8 años

Have you tried Googling "custom range hoods" or something like that? It may be pricey, but a custom job always is. Try to find a place like this close to where you live... http://www.ventahood.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=407&Itemid=337

• Gloria Fittipaldi
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thx for reply. I checked out site, but didn't find any wall chimney hoods 32" high or lower. I did c one around 23"h but then when u add chimney, it's to tall.

• jhmarie
    hace 8 años

If it is wood, can it be cut down to fit? I am wondering if they make them extra tall so that they can fit a number of different ceiling heights.

Gloria Fittipaldi agradeció a jhmarie
  • Gloria Fittipaldi
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Yes, this is true, they can b cut. The hood would b 23" and the chimney can b cut down to 9" to make 32", but just wouldn't look right..

• jhmarie
    hace 8 años

You could skip the chimney piece altogether, or trim out the short chimney so it is attractive.

You can also look at copper and other metal possibilities - getting more expensive though.

I am assuming you don't have a soffit - correct me if you do.

Short chimney with some decorative moldings:

Flush with ceiling - no chimney.

• Gloria Fittipaldi
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thx, the first picture u sent is that two piece with chimney trimmed? If so, how much chimney is showing? I think I could only have 9" chimney showing and 23" hood. Total 32". I like that look. I was told by cabinet co. They don't carry this type, so if I bought it on my own, I take risk of whites not matching. I guess I could get totally different color. Wow what stress, redoing kitchen!!

• jhmarie
    hace 8 años

If you are working with a kitchen designer at all, they might be able to help you from experience. In my area some of the kitchen and bath places and even home center kitchen departments have given me a little free advice. You may be able to get a similar hood from a Home Center store. Most of the cabinets they have can be shipped unfinished. Some Home Center kitchen people know a lot, and some do not know anything - work with the most experienced person there.

A kitchen and bath store also may be able to help you order one piece of cabinetry - and possibly also unfinished. I ordered mine from Kitchensource because I am on a very tight budget. The least expensive Home Center simple unfinished wood hood plus insert was $1100 not installed. I got my hood and insert for $650 for both. The chimney hoods are even more expensive - as you have seen. I was a little nervous about getting it on my own - I understand how you feel.

I am doing a little kitchen refresh and the new hood was part of that. I finished it to match my cabinets. (Pics in my idea book - but a humble little kitchen:) Counters, sink and backsplash are next.)

Do you have an installer for your cabinets or does it come with buying the cabinets? If you have your own installer, or are working with a contractor then show him the pictures. Show him the specifications of the one you want to buy and see if he thinks it will work. Ask if he can paint it to match and / or add some nice trim to make the shorter chimney decorative. Most of the time I have found people very helpful in helping me achieve my vision. Going with a different color is also an option. Right now mine is wood, but there is room for a panel to set across the top and front (the decorative pieces are not permanently affixed) and I have thought about adding something French County like, or white wood planks like ship lap, or beadboaed or other artistic change to break up the wood.

That first picture came from Google images, but I tracked it down to this web site. I know nothing about them - they appear to be a custom hood company:

http://www.wood-hood.com

• PRO
    Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

ronsomerset,

You can get "the best of both worlds" - a completely custom hood, but with a reliable, premanufactured, brand-name "hood insert" inside it.

Besides the obvious advantages of having the hood made for you (by your local contractor/kitchen builder/cabinet maker/etc), using an insert gives you more options in terms of size & shape, since inserts are much more compact than "standard" hoods".

We have written an informative article on this topic, with some example images - please take a look at: http://futurofuturo.com/wood-range-hoods/

Gloria Fittipaldi agradeció a Futuro Futuro Kitchen Range Hoods
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.