Houzz Logo Print
ydelarosa

Please help coordinate a better wall color for fireplace.

ydelarosa
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

I've narrowed it down to white and off-white. Haven't found an off-white I love (including white dove) I really don't care for gray's with blue or green undertones or taupe... but am willing to work with just about any color if it looks good. I think I might want to go BM Simply White because it's easy and no undertones. The fireplace is venetian plaster and not sure I want to paint over it just yet.

Any suggestions? Ideas? All are welcome. Thank you in advance.

Comentarios (48)

• leelee
    hace 8 años

White with gray undertones. Be careful of how your new white paint looks with your existing white trim. You'll need to try sample sizes of several whites before you make a final decision.

Your elegant fireplace is being sabotaged by the large vase of sticks. That is such an overdone look.

ydelarosa agradeció a leelee
  • PRO
    Victorian Fireplace Shop
    hace 8 años

Light gray or grayish-blue

ydelarosa agradeció a Victorian Fireplace Shop
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you every one. I guess I'll take a look at BM White Dove and SW Shoji White.

Leelee, the vase was put there to hide the vent. I really like the vase itself, any suggestions as to what to do with the vase?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

ydelarosa agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you, I feel I am at least on the right track. If I use BM Huntington White or even BM White Dove does anyone else agree that using BM Simply White on trim will add some warmth?

• User
    hace 8 años

I don't think Simply White will add warmth. I've just used it on my fireplace and I like the clean whiteness of it. White Dove would be warmer. Paint the wall vent the same color as the wall to minimize it's look. I can't tell from the photo, but what colors can you pick out of the fireplace surround. BM has lots of whites, Darryl Carter Colors at BM are warm and subtle. I think your mirror may be overwhelming the fireplace which is beautiful and should stand alone with simple ornamentation.

I would take everything off the fireplace and add one simple photo, picture, ornamental piece that ties in specifically to the style, color, shape, etc. of the fireplace.
    this is Bonifant White. Other Darryl Carter whites: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/darryl-carter-colors-white

ydelarosa agradeció a User
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you, I will take that into consideration. My plan was to remove all other from the mantle and move the mirror into a portrait position. The mantle is very large (height & width) I think painting the wall behind the fireplace will help with that.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

I like the mirror over the fireplace, but the issue is that your small track light should probably be replaced. No sense in directing spot lights into the mirror. Maybe a light that shines directly down to cast light on the fireplace or better yet a recessed light.

ydelarosa agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you so much for that. The track light direction can be changed. I will play with it to shine directly on the fireplace and see how that helps. I am very excited about this project now that I feel like I have direction.

• leelee
    hace 8 años

The vase can go where it is with a larger basket behind it. But no sticks.

ydelarosa agradeció a leelee
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Are you saying the fireplace surround is Venetian plaster? It doesn't look like it to me, unless it hasn't been burnished. It also appears that there is an indented area across the top of the firebox area. This should be fixed first. If this is Venitian plaster be sure to prime first. I would paint this white.
    ydelarosa agradeció a lynartist
  • User
    hace 8 años

Once you've painted whether or not the mirror stays will become clear. I do think it's hard and dark edges don't play well with the soft, rounded fireplace surround.

• ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I do see what you are saying and I guess I will evaluate once painted. Moving the mirror will be easy, finding the perfect mantle feature will be the hard part.

• User
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

The best place to put something personal is on a mantle.

hink something with curves would be nice. Rugged, chunky candlesticks are easy to find and paint, old books on their side. Two tall vases (Pier 1) with a picture.

• ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

You are just great! Please come over. :) I totally agree with the rounded pieces. I kept thinking that...but the mantle, like I previously stated is huge. To give you an idea, the empty space is about 70wx55hx22d- and that makes me think I need to find some balance between that space and the fireplace. Also, these photos all have something adjacent to the fireplace running up the wall. I am hoping that is what this paint will give me. Kind of a good back drop, who knows might not need anything to fill up that space at all. I love the middle photo by the way.

• User
    hace 8 años

Yay! A good start is when you find something you really like. Restoration Hardware has wall decor you can check out on line. But, once you've painted (so exciting!!) you will know more what you want. Look around your house also, unexpected things can work.

• ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Are you guys still there? Would love some more opinions about which of these whites to go with... I've got Simply White, Moonlight White (Huntington White) and White Dove on the wall. I am really looking at SW and MW. Love them both, and can't decide between the two. Here are some photos of the swatches on my wall. One near the fireplace, one near the kitchen cabinets as this is all one big room. They are with flash, except the one with the couch, taken at 7:30a. The room does get plenty of light from one side only. All décor will be gone, except for couch and cat. Please cast your vote on which you think would be best for the area. Again, thank you so much!

• User
    hace 8 años

I just painted my fireplace in Simply White and it's a great white, pure white. It is bright. White Dove I have used a lot and it seems to go well wherever. It has a grey undertone. With SW you'll have to paint all your trim and doors so they match. Were you planning on doing that? Does MW p/u hues from the fireplace? Wish I could be up close and personal on this one! :-)

• ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks!

Yes, MW does kind of blend itself well with the fireplace...it's white but not a clean white, however, I'm surprised how much I really do like it. The SW is just so crisp. I love it, but it's so much brighter than the fireplace...so I wonder will it make it look dingy. Sometimes, I really hate this fireplace though if seen on it's own, it's quite pretty. So I figure my best solution is to compliment it so I don't end up in the same place as with the gold walls.

And yes, I realize that the trim would need updating as well. I figured if I went with the MW I should just do MW in satin? I would love to do SW but wonder how much that would stand out on the big windows??

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años

Simply white does have an undertone (if that is the correct terminology)...it goes warm and leans toward cream. I do not think that is the correct white for the niche. Before you choose look at BM OC-68.

But, to go in another direction, have you considered painting it a black? Something like BM wrought iron? I think the niche will mimic a chimney; the mirror will look great with it as a back drop and the off whites won't interfere with your woodwork color.

Traditional Living Room · Más información

• User
    hace 8 años
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you, JudyG Designs, yes I have considered a darker color for the niche, (beautiful photo) but are you suggesting I leave the rest gold? I would still have to paint off white because I would feel like it would look very busy. And as for the gray, I think it's beautiful, however, for some reason gray seems to go VERY mauve or taupe in that room, which is not for me. I really do like the MW, has a hint of olive which I'm surprised that I really like (not yellow and no pink), but my initial instinct was to go with something clean like SW...that is why I keep coming back to it. I just need to paint it MW and figure out my trim- (Thanks puremichigan60 for the complimentary colors) and hope for the best. If all else fails...I can paint the doors dark, the niche dark and be right back here asking what color to redo my cabinets. :)

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Gosh, I thought you were painting the fireplace white! I would.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años

Yes, leave the gold and I am only suggesting black for that back wall, not the abutting sides. Leave those the wall color.

Imagine that back wall was brick...a real chimney and the builder framed around it to make it recesses. I see bringing the black of the firebox up to that back wall...just as it would be if it were a full brick chimney. No doing a good job explaining...: < (

ydelarosa agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

@lynartist I would love to paint it white! Except it was recently installed. Seems such a waste to paint it...I figure that would happen down the line. But wow how that would solve the problem!

@ JudyG Designs lol..I totally see what you are saying and I don't think it's bad, I just don't think it will keep me happy very long...I just see too much color...gold, black, fireplace beige/bronze and cherry hard woods and cabinets...I've embraced the white. Very clean, and ready to sell.

• User
    hace 8 años

A sample size of MW would easily cover the back of this niche and give you a much stronger idea of it's effect. Did I say that when I go into my BM shop that I get samples free if I "check-in" on my Facebook page that I'm in their shop? I'm not seeing many black fireplaces, much more organic now.

• ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Oooh I wonder if mine would honor that. Between Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore, I've spent $40 in paint samples. :/ And I still need 2 gallons of whatever I decide on plus trim...

• User
    hace 8 años

Well, tell them that other stores are doing it. Also, with priming, you could easily paint that niche with a sample pint. You may not even need to repaint. The sample is regular BM paint, in flat. I could see flat in that niche, it's almost the effect of Chalk Paint.

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Am I to understand that the walls are Venetian plaster? And you could have just painted the fireplace white? I liked the gold walls / the white fireplace, black niche, now that would have looked great.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    I would so paint that fireplace! If you just had it done why is there a dent running across the front of it? Have them come back and fix that and then pain it white.
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Seems such a waste to paint it...plus I do love how it looks...just not with the gold walls. The fireplace is venetian plaster. I looked at the dent when you originally brought it up. It's not visible in person, but I did call the contractor.

• terry toon
    hace 8 años
    Don't paint it white. Paint the walls, including the door and frame a medium to dark gray.
    ydelarosa agradeció a terry toon
  • terry toon
    hace 8 años
    And the mirror highlights the door. A big piece of art will be much better than a mirror.
    ydelarosa agradeció a terry toon
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

No, I don't think it will be painted...maybe in the distant future...as for the mirror. Stay tuned...still looking for the perfect piece.

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Well you should probably try a very faint grey like BM classic grey to give your woodwork some definition. It should read well with your plastered fireplace.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Ydelarosa, did you specify this particular finish for your fireplace? Did the contractor sell this ass Venetian plaster?
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Not ass:( I meant as !
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Unfortunately, yes. We didn't realize how much it would clash with the walls. Yes, she called it venetian plaster.

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Ok, I had to go to my computer to get a better look at this. There are many different finishes out there, including plaster finishes. I am a decorative artist and have done lots of Venetian plaster finishes. I'm not saying this isn't but it's not what I would consider a Venetian plaster in the traditional sense. This should be fixed and smoothed out in any case; if you are happy with it that is all that matters. I would hate to see someone pay for a finish they didn't receive. Some pics of Venetian plaster.
  • terry toon
    hace 8 años
    Maybe you could start a new thread and not mention the words "Venetian plaster" and see if you get help with paint suggestions.
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I see what you're saying. I guess I just figured it was a textured look. I feels very much like stone. Doesn't photograph well but looks better in person. The photos you posted is more of what I had in mind. Can it be smoothed out still??
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to disparage the finish you have. I just thought that they should fix it . I'm sure that would not be a problem since it is textured. Anyway, if you don't know the color of your trim and you don't want to repaint it, do try a shade like BM Classic gray. It could look quite lovely. Good luck.
  • lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Oh , and to answer your question, you should probably keep this as it would be quite costly to redo to achieve the smooth marble like finish of Venetian plaster.
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you!! Really, I appreciate all the feedback everyone has provided. Tons to think about and great new ideas. Thanks again!!
  • PRO
    All Trades Contracting, Inc
    hace 8 años

I'd loose the alcove, build that wall to the ceiling and add a floating mantle.

• lynartist
    hace 8 años
    Great idea!
  • ydelarosa
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    We thought about that. Not sure if I care for a floating mantle but do like the idea of building the wall up. Only thing was that I don't necessarily want that plaster look up the entire wall.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.