Houzz Logo Print
ettel14

Need help on how to revamp the staircase - How would you do it?

ettel14
hace 8 años

The staircase is tacky, it runs up the end wall of the lounge. We don't want to spend a lot of money on it but it needs to be drastically improved. Whether changing just the side and replacing it for something else would work? Any ideas please??

Comentarios (11)

• Kittihawke
    hace 8 años
    Light Scandi-style wood cladding? Would be less expensive if budget didn't run to safety glass, with upward struts/remaining wood, painted darker or lighter.
    ettel14 agradeció a Kittihawke
  • Kittihawke
    hace 8 años
    You would only see the remaining wood if glass were used. The cladding would obv. cover this
    ettel14 agradeció a Kittihawke
  • ettel14
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Ed. I love the look of glass, but don't like how easily you get fingerprints! How easy do you find it to clean?

• ettel14
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you kittihawke. I love the idea of scandi-style. The other 3 walls in the room are an off-white, so I would have to be careful not to go too light. The pic is not brilliant, but the wall than runs along the stairs is a light Beige, which I plan to repaint depending on stairs

• ettel14
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Can you see any photos on Houzz of a scandi-style wood cladding staircas?

• Ed
    hace 8 años
    We've not had to clean it yet because our daughter is just learning to climb the stairs. The great thing is that it's so hard wearing it will outlast the paintwork, and fingerprints will only be in easy to reach places. We paid £700ish for ours - compared to buying new spindles and rails etc and then painting everything it didn't feel too extravagant.
    ettel14 agradeció a Ed
  • PRO
    George Quinn
    hace 8 años

Glass would definitely work on your staircase, ettel14. It will help improve the light. Also, even if you get fingerprints on it, the glass panels are extremely easy to clean. Upload pictures when you finish! :) Nice work, Ed Tallents.

ettel14 agradeció a George Quinn
  • ettel14
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for the picture Ed. That has really helped. At the moment we have Red carpet running up the staircase - not sure how that would look?

• ettel14
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Think you are right George - glass would improve the light. Thanks for your help.

• Kittihawke
    hace 8 años
    Ettel you wouldn't have to change the off white walls if you went for whitewashed/limed pale wood or used a white oil or wax on it Scandi style. I haven't seen it done but I was thinking of kitchens and floors in this kind of wood that I have noticed on Houzz. I also thought of the slightly rougher wood cladding used externally on buildings that you may be able to get from a wholesaler in a smaller quantity. This could give you a nice kind of rustic effect but then it would be up to you if you wanted to follow that into full country style or go with a more modern rustic aesthetic. I have seen nice things from habitat that would work with that. Just a more minimal look than country. Sorry, I've never attached a photo on houzz.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.