Houzz Logo Print
caroline_carecci

Suggestions for lighting and sideboard

Caroline Carecci
hace 8 años

Could you please help me decide on a lamp and a sideboard. The layout of the lounge and kitchen as well as the fixture of the ceiling lamp are a bit odd, so all the furniture we had before don't work in this space anymore. We will buy a new table, chairs and sofa (wrong angle at the moment).

For the ceiling lamp we cannot decide if we would like a big lamp or a lamp we center over the dining table (but since the ceiling is so high, I dont know if it would look a bit lost).

For the sideboard I was thinking about something like this, with some kind of big artwork or photo above. But I don't know if it would be too much wood with the floor already being almost the same. Any suggestions what to put on the wall would be very welcome.

Thank you ever so much

Comentarios (6)

• Caroline Carecci
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you very much for your advice! It already helped us. We were thinking about getting the lamp down below (not sure if white or black) for above the dining table, but we were not sure if it would look right with the ceiling being so high. The other thing is, the fixture for the lamp is off centre, its more towards the corner near the window, so we would have to pull a cable a bit across the ceiling. Not sure it's the best solution.

I was also thinking about putting two or three lampes in different sizes, but don't know if that would work.

• PRO
    Brilliant Design Concepts
    hace 8 años

Hi Caroline, I would suggest fill the space above dining table with multiple white pendants . On the adjacent wall to the kitchen I would suggest a back lit decorative screen to add texture to the wall and overlay the heating element or a bespoke green wall to soften and add texture.

Caroline Carecci agradeció a Brilliant Design Concepts
  • PRO
    Magins Lighting
    hace 8 años

As a rough guide Caroline we try and use fittings that mirror the basic shape and profile of the room, for example, you have a room with a tall profile, so we would try and use a fitting that also has a tall profile or shape. As Cherel has suggested, using multiple fittings is a good idea because as a whole they create that tall profile and fill in the space. You'll also have a larger range of fittings to choose from. The only issue you might have with this is getting them all centred over the table, which is important (is there any possibility of moving the outlet)
    A single pendant like the one in your image might work and would be a simpler solution for the off-centre cable outlet however, it would need to be large (at least 600mm diameter).....anything less would be dwarfed.

Caroline Carecci agradeció a Magins Lighting
  • LouieT
    hace 8 años

What an unusual space you have which could handle an unusual light

define space with design elements · Más información

or five!
    Notting Hill Flat · Más información

If you think white is right then fine but it seems to need some colour/metallic or at least three different size shades so that the light/lights are a worthy investment & a feature.

Eclectic Stoke Newington Apartment · Más información

I have seen pendants with multiple cords that can be attached to the ceiling or even chains at intervals so that the outlet position is not critical. You can then place the pendants, either matching ones or not at your desired hanging point. Most electricians can lengthen the cord back to the outlet or modify & some lighten places even have kits with this type of installation in mind.

Caroline Carecci agradeció a LouieT
  • Caroline Carecci
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you for the great suggestions everyone!:-)

I love the idea of the backlit decorative screens, Cherel. And it would solve the problem with the heating element making everything look off balance.

Thanks LouieT for the light suggestions, i like the first one, its so different. I have thought about lamps with multiple cords, but I'm a little reluctant about making too many holes as we're renting.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.