Houzz Logo Print
kkohler55

Stone to the ceiling with tv on stone or stone to mantle and tv on dry

kirsty kohler
hace 8 años
This is a cape cod style home with floor to ceiling windows. It is an open concept home with little wall space. The view is trees and water;) The fireplace will have a gas log set and we are not sure where to stop the stone facade- at the mantle ( at what height) or at the ceiling and install the tv on the stone ? We are also considering a white mantle or a barn board mantle. Floors are wire brushed saddle color wood. Please help

Comentarios (25)

• s c
    hace 8 años
    who installed the durock?
  • kirsty kohler
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hi there-
    I really appreciate your comments and concerns
    Why do you ask who installed the cement board? Our contractor did
    The house truly has no wall space - this is virtually it
    While I appreciate it is not ideal, it is the reality. We have had a fireplace with tv placed above for the last 8 years.
    In this case can you offer an opinion re whether the tv should go on drywall or stone? And at what height? White mantle or bar board?
    Perplexed
  • jtbeck
    hace 8 años
    I think it would look great either way. We had a tv mounted over a fireplace (granted, the fireplace was not used) and never had issues viewing the tv. Not sure why everyone acts like its the end of the world.

Do you have pictures of the stone you are using? I'd place the mantle about halfway between the top of fireplace and where the horizontal seam is in the cement board. That partly depends on the size of the tv and how much room you'd have.

Without knowing the stone, my personal preference is to put it all the way to the ceiling and just make sure you have a substantial enough mantle
  • kirsty kohler
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you for these suggestions . I have attached a photo that has the stone on the floor. I thought stone floor to ceiling would be very heavy. Also I thought the tv should be about the size of the fireplace opening and entered above the opening . I like that it's off center
  • PRO
    Ever After Custom Homes
    hace 8 años

I would definitely say stone up to the ceiling.

• agk2003
    hace 8 años
    I like that it's off center. I'm doing the same set up- tv over fireplace. we are also agonizing over this decision trying to figure out what would best complement the house. have you looked into concrete tile or slab? I think it might be cool in your space. another option would be doing wood from floor to ceiling stained gray.
  • kirsty kohler
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    We did look at cement skimmed tile and slabs . A little more modern than what we wanted to achieve,I think ;) we looked at leather too. Very cool. Anyway stone is beautiful but still the overall look is able to be tweaked... That is the dilemma for today. Tomorrow it will be something else . Ahhh renovations
  • Carolina
    hace 8 años

I'd do the stone up to the ceiling and mount the TV straight above the fireplace opening. I wouldn't do a white mantle on the stone. Think it looks too harsh.

Indian Hills Living Room · Más información

A weathered wood should be nice.
    Shelter Island Beach House · Más información

Living Stone Construction, Inc. · Más información

• kirsty kohler
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Great Images - that really helps - thank you
  • miacometlady
    hace 8 años
    I'm wondering if shiplap would give you the rustic look you seem to want instead of stone and bar wood. It may compliment a Cape better. If not, all stone.
  • kirsty kohler
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    What is ship lap?
  • kirsty kohler
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hearth?
  • agk2003
    hace 8 años
    ship lap is wood. have you seen fixer upper on hgtv? she uses it everywhere lol. I really like the look
  • PRO
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    hace 8 años

Ship lap is wood that runs horizontally and starting from the bottom, each board, as you go up, laps slightly over the top edge of the previous board.

• miacometlady
    hace 8 años
    Ship lap...
  • tatts
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I don't see any reason to run stone up to the ceiling when you're just going to slap a big TV over it and hide most of it.

OTOH, I hate looking up at a TV. They should be at eye level. And I dislike gas log fireplaces. Real or nothing.

• miacometlady
    hace 8 años
    It sounds like this is the only place for TV tatts.
  • kirsty kohler
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    It is the only place for a tv. Believe me not ideal but will be used thank you for the ship lap idea. I did not know we were taking pn this project and have never seen a design show before ;( so here we go
    Thank you everyone
  • leelee
    hace 8 años

I don't know what the rest of your room is like but I saw this in Houzz and it might be a good fix if your room was large enough. It's like a freestanding wall for the TV.

• Carolina
    hace 8 años
    I just came across this photo, reminded me of your dilemma
    Forest Edge · Más información
  • travelinggal
    hace 8 años
    Based on the picture above, I like the stone on the lower half with drywall above. Stone to the ceiling is a heavy look and, I think, emphasizes the tv more than when the tv is on drywall.
  • Carolina
    hace 8 años
    I disagree ;-) I think that it would be a shame to chop up the fireplace with different materials. Different people, different opinions :-)
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    hace 8 años

I would check into your local building codes as that cement board is hung on wood framing very close to that fire box. Also the added projection of the wall could be an issue. Interesting way to hang the board, it will do but doesn't look like experienced contractor.

I hate fake stacked stone walls as they look so fake. I always look at them and think OK, How are they supposed to look real with spacing between them and no mortar? Then most don't account for edges and turns so they are terminated with raw edges exposed. Not bashing just explains for them to look right takes the correct stone that has all the accys needed to do edges. You also need an experienced installer.

I would look into the many tile options that can give the same 3d stone effect. There are so many cladding options you need to spend a day or so narrowing down a look.

good luck

• s c
    hace 8 años

wannabath i think you're right on. Before even looking at the question the first thing i noticed was the improper durock installation. Aside from just looking bad and being totally piecemeal, some of it's backwards. Yes there is a front and back to durock, the rough side goes out for mortar or thinset to give them something to bite. not to mention the lack of screws and improperly placed screws... What's on top can look however you want it to, but if what's underneath isn't right, it won't look good for long.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.