Houzz Logo Print
mlgardner17

what countertops & backsplash go with black cabinets & brick accents?

Margie
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

Would like to replace the countertops and backsplash in my kitchen. I currently have no cabinet drawer/door hardware and plan to add that at the same time. Kitchen has black cabinets, 48" gas rangetop w/stainless steel hood & warming shelf accented with used brick columns, expansive hi-low peninsula accented with same used brick on seating side, and medium-dark wood flooring. Open floor plan kitchen looks out into breakfast room and family room. Family room also has black floor-to-ceiling built-in cabinets on each side of used brick fireplace with raised hearth. Can you suggest what type and color of countertop and backsplash would work well in my kitchen? Thanks!!

Comentarios (15)

• Martha Carlton
    hace 8 años
    Your kitchen has amazing possibilities! Individually your design elements are beautiful but somehow together it's too much. If you love the brick then change your countertops to white or off white. Paint your walls a greige neutral. Perhaps even paint your island white. If you don't love the brick then paint the brick and the walls a greige neutral. After you've painted you make like the countertops and backsplash better.
  • Martha Carlton
    hace 8 años
    Traditional Kitchen · Más información
  • Martha Carlton
    hace 8 años
    Start with painting the walls and reassess.
  • soccerates
    hace 8 años
    A marble countertop is classic and timeless. Paint is the last thing you do since it can be tinted/shaded/color matched to your furnishings.
  • Martha Carlton
    hace 8 años
    In this picture you can see how a neutral paint can tie your brick and black cabinets together. Generally painting should be done last but I think other than maybe white countertops and backsplash, painting may be the only thing you need to do. Once painted, you may feel differently about the existing countertops. If you still want to change them, white would be your best choice given the other design elements
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    hace 8 años

White counters would look great and really lighten up the space a bit. Beautiful!

• Barbara Almandarz
    hace 8 años

Lovely kitchen! Your brick has a pattern to it, your floor has a pattern to it and your counters have a pattern to it. Much too much pattern in one room. Either change the granite OR paint your brick a distressed white. Lastly paint your walls a color you find in your granite or brick, but something neutral so the focus is on one of these 2 elements.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 8 años

I would do cararra counters and white subway tile

• Margie
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Thanks Martha, soccerates, Lori, Barbara and Patricia for your comments and suggestions! The cabinetry was originally a grayish white with cool gray walls when we moved into the house a few years ago making the whole area look very cold and blah. I chose a safari tan for the walls and black for the cabinetry because the area is so large and these two changes really
    helped to define the rooms, warm up the space and add some pizazz without spending a lot of money. I've been meaning for some time to
    change the backsplash and countertops but am just now getting around
    to it due to the expense (lots of square footage on those countertops!). I'm leaning toward the use of white subway tiles for the backsplash and white quartz for the countertops. I want to stay away from anything with heavy veining or patterns because I do agree that I've already got a lot of patterns going on plus I want easy cleanup and no staining. I have been thinking about painting the walls a more neutral taupe/warm
    gray color but want to do the countertops and backsplash first since my
    wall color runs through all the living areas, including dining room, living room and hallways, meaning lots of square
    footage to paint. On Fixer Upper last week they did a "German mortar smear" on the outside of a brick home (I found an example on Houzz, link below) and I'm thinking that might look nice on the brick in my kitchen and family room.

Exterior · Más información

But then again painting the brick white with just a little distressing would probably be easier. What do you think?

• Martha Carlton
    hace 8 años

Yes, paint the brick white and call it a day. The wall color really should be a greige. Don't spend any money on new countertops until you've eliminated the brick pattern. As much as I like the brick, it just doesn't seem to go with your style. Once the brick is white, you'll like the things you've done much better.

• Martha Carlton
    hace 8 años

Before and after of chalk painting the brick

Brick painted white

• Margie
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Martha! Decision made. I'll get going on tackling the brick first!

• PRO
    Susan L Wootan, Architect
    hace 7 años

a soft green would look great with the brick and black. Since the room has an inherent busy-ness that works for it, I recommend a more simple counter top - ie only the subtlest modulation in color.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    hace 7 años

Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! Someone told you here that brick and busy countertops are too much together - and they are indeed. The brick looks amazing, so I would keep them and would definitely go with white countertops. The backsplash, however, doesn't have to be white but it certainly shouldn't be busy either. Here are 21 examples of Black Kitchen Cabinets Design that can give you tons of ideas. I'm sure we've covered all of your possible questions, but in case we haven't, please don't hesitate to ask.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.