Houzz Logo Print
tarabbryan

Kitchen cabinet color for large U-shaped kitchen/great room

tarabbryan
hace 8 años
última modificación:hace 8 años

My flooring and countertops have already been purchased (see below). I am now stuck between deciding on white, gray, natural wood or blue cabinets. Transitional? kitchen, near the ocean, large U-shaped, with 5 large windows for plenty of natural light. Great room includes dining and living room. White cabinets are a no brainer but I'm not afraid of color, so these blue glazed cabinets were an interesting idea. Gray or natural wood (walnut?) was another choice. I appreciate your help!

Comentarios (11)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Not both...go with herring bone floor. Love. Choose a plain pale gray counter top. Not everything should be a show stopper.

Silestone Quartz Colors · Más información

tarabbryan agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • tarabbryan
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

If I change the countertops, would you still go with the blue cabinets? And if I can't change the countertops, would white or natural wood work? I would probably go with a simple shaker design.

• acm
    hace 8 años

They already bought both, Judy.

Rare to buy stuff before settling on all the coordinating finishes, but it does seem like these things will work. The blue is sort of gorgeous with your counter, but I agree that you have to decide what you want to be the star here -- the striking floor, the unusual cabinet color, or the lovely stone? (and what stone IS that??) I think you might be best just getting simple white cabinets and letting the stonework have the day.

Of course, you tell us that this room is open to other spaces, but tell us nothing about the style or furniture of those other spaces, which could influence choices here (if, say, you would continue a blue accent in the living room to draw from an oriental rug, or if your furnishings are modern and neutral there).

tarabbryan agradeció a acm
  • Rawketgrl
    hace 8 años

Blue lowers, light gray or white uppers, it all works together well. Go for it. Post pics here when you can I love the combo.

tarabbryan agradeció a Rawketgrl
  • PRO
    My Kitchen Cabinets
    hace 8 años

White is the reflection of all colors, black the absence of all color so you should be good with white, black or grey in any shade. I would choose a depth of color that considers the over all surface area of the room to include wall color etc. Please remember many colors are blends of primary colors such as your blue is in basic the mixture of green and yellow. You can span out to use tones of green or yellow and have them co-ordinate wonderfully with your counter and floor. If you aren't confident in doing this I'd recommend hiring an interior designer or decorator to help in recognizing the subtle tonal differences that can take your space from looking good to looking great.

tarabbryan agradeció a My Kitchen Cabinets
  • tarabbryan
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thank you all for your suggestions/opinions. The flooring is most certainly the feature of the room/house. It's antiqued Creola marble in a brownish/gray that will be laid out in a herringbone pattern. The stone is Blue Orion calcite. I agree that we may have bought the countertops in haste but I assure you that the two together are stunning. Bringing in another element with the cabinets is challenging. Not a lot of upper cabinets because the front of the kitchen is mostly windows. One side will include the fridge/freezer, other side will include the range top and ovens. Dining area is next to kitchen with a coffee station/bar on one side and probably glass front cabinets on the other to coordinate, not necessarily "match". No other furnishing have been chosen but will most likely bring out the blues in the stone regardless of what the cabinets will be. It will be a slightly eclectic mix of inherited pieces but lean towards contemporary. Intend on purchasing a long reclaimed wood dining table that sits parallel to the island. We also intend on using similar woods to build shelving in the living room for books, records, etc.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 8 años

Thanks, acm...that didn't register...I read too fast. Still think all three are just too much. Is there a light gray cabinet available?

• auntthelma
    hace 8 años

The blue is beautiful. Go with it. You will LOVE it.

• janedoe2012
    hace 8 años
    The floor and counter are great.

The blue cabs are nice too, but I feel like all three finishes are sort of "frosty" looking? I think it is just too much. And the foods and countertops are more sophisticated than the cabs. I see the appeal of the blue cabinets, but I would pass. The cabinets are more likely to look dated in ten years. The counter and floor will always stand on their own, even as other details go in and out of style.

I think a cleaner cabinet door, like a shaker style might look good. Have the countertops been fabricated? What kind of edge?

I think this is going to be a spectacular kitchen. Don't get tired now. Make the effort to get the perfect cabs.
  • Jillian - Interior design student
    hace 8 años

Love the idea of blue cabinets. Consider a blue leaning a little on the gray side.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.