Houzz Logo Print
amandasperos

Living room furniture layout

amandasperos
hace 8 años

Moved and really struggling with the furniture placement in this room. We purchased everything recently in our old home so we don't want to start over and we want as much seating as possible. We obviously need some accents and side tables. The fact that the couch is centered on the fireplace but not the wall is the biggest issue (I think?) not sure how else it can work since we've tried lots of rearranging. If this is the best sinario - what do we do with the wall behind couch? Would love some advice. Room without walkway is 16x16. You won't hurt my feelings ;) thx!!!

Comentarios (29)

• PRO
    The Design Project
    hace 8 años

I would try the sofa along the window wall with the pair of chairs opposite the fireplace and the wing and ottoman to the left of the FP. Also, bring everything in a little closer together - you seem to have everything spread out a little too much.

amandasperos agradeció a The Design Project
  • Maureen
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

The couch is not working there in my mind. Have you tired it either facing the window or under the window and pulled into the room. I have a feeling you may need a larger rectangle rug, as this small square one has to be centered to the fireplace but is then off in the room for arranging furniture - length will help and bring furniture into the room, so all the legs of the furniture are sitting on the rug. Move console table to other wall and place the two chairs in the front (or opposite couch) and single chair on an angle near fireplace (or near console). On the wall where console was, add large artwork only.

The Savannah Showhome (Calgary, Alberta) · Más información
    Living Room · Más información

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

I don't like the idea of the sofa in front of the windows, so I would switch the position of the two wood frame chairs with the sofa and pull everything in so more items are on the area rug...............BTW the room is quite lovely.

amandasperos agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    The Design Project
    hace 8 años

It will depend on the traffic flow into the room as to whether or not the sofa can be opposite the window. On the large wall (top photo) you could move your mirrored console table to that wall with a much larger canvas above, flanked by 2 small stools to expand that vignette. (Could also be used for extra seating for larger crowds)

amandasperos agradeció a The Design Project
  • amandasperos
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thx so much for the advice! So with regard to moving the mirrored console table and adding flanked stools..... Would it look ok since that will be centered on wall but the rest of the roo/ furniture will be centered on fireplace? Thx!

• amandasperos
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

And agree that we need a bigger rug in this room too! I was hoping it could work since its new :(

• Maureen
    hace 8 años

Your foyer is large and the rug is small....would you like it there? I think it would really suit. I wouldn't add flanked stools next to console, as you are right about it now becoming too off centered to fireplace..console alone doesn't have to be as it stands on its own as it would say in a foyer, in my mind. If you need more seating, stools are not as comfortable either...maybe a bench in front of the fireplace?

amandasperos agradeció a Maureen
  • housegal200
    hace 8 años

Your living room is lovely. I think if you float your sofa closer to two of the facing chairs, the sofa won't be so linked with the wall. Then relocate the third chair. Chairs and sofa should be about 18" from coffee table, so pulling everything in a bit should work to give you a conversational grouping. (You could put one chair in front of the window with the other one facing it.

As for the wall itself, a large beautiful painting in whites, grays, and cream would look great there.

amandasperos agradeció a housegal200
  • amandasperos
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Really appreciate the thoughts. We keep moving things but nothing seems to be working. Maybe we have to loose the large chair and buy two more chairs to add in a solid blue/gray?

• amandasperos
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Or a long upholstered bench for the area opposite fireplace?

• spraguec
    hace 8 años
    It's a lovely room with lots of potential but I think what is tripping you up is the size and shape of the rug - it is too small and perhaps a rectangular rug will serve you better. The view from the foyer worries me as you don't need a straight shot of floor from the front door all the way across to your fireplace. To address more seating you could look into a 'table for two' size to go in front of your windows and buy two generous chairs for your extra seating. Ignore the current sofa wall and float your couch in alignment with the fireplace. Place your matching chairs on either side of the fireplace and your rounded, single chair at the left side of your sofa (the console wall behind).
    amandasperos agradeció a spraguec
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 8 años

amandasperos agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Randy Trainor
    hace 8 años

It might be useful to share a design of ours.

Interior Design Room Ideas · Más información

amandasperos agradeció a Randy Trainor
  • PRO
    Lenore Frances Home Interiors
    hace 8 años

Here are a few images from our design portfolio. Perhaps it will help?

Bruno Residence Living Room, Hammonton NJ · Más información

Lakeshore Dr. Residence, Hammonton, NJ 08037 · Más información

amandasperos agradeció a Lenore Frances Home Interiors
  • Angel 18432
    hace 8 años

You have a lovely room and great taste. Perhaps the following arrangement might work.

Put the 2 matching chairs each side of the fireplace, so when you look at the fireplace there is balance. The one chair seems a little large.

Pull the sofa forward onto the rug and put the "table/lamp" arrangement from the one wall - to the wall behind the sofa. Then put the larger chair with it's back to the wall where the sofa table "was". Could you re-arrange and post new pictures.

amandasperos agradeció a Angel 18432
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

The room is beautiful and I think the rug is fine. What you need to do is totally de-link that sofa from the wall behind so they have no relationship to one another. Put the matching chairs side by side close together facing the window, pull the sofa up a good two feet so it is solidly on the rug and move the coffee table accordingly. This will give you a tight conversation group centered on the fireplace and defined by the rug.

Find some striking piece of art for the back wall. Finished.

• amandasperos
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks you all so much!! Seeing the huge piece of art helps me a lot!!! Now to find one ;) we pulled the couch away from the wall more and removed the larger chair since it wasn't really working.
    We are going to add two matching chairs for more seating (have to buy) sit across from diamond chairs. Like this...

• housegal200
    hace 8 años

Etsy can be a wonderful source for art once you know the themes and colors you like: abstact, landscape, graphice, whatever. Most artists do commissions.

Again, 18" from a coffee table is considered the ideal distance for reaching or putting down something on the table.

As for two chairs, the room might feel a little crowded with two more chairs. Some alternatives for smaller pieces to be used as extra seating that won't take up too much visual space:

--two slipper chairs

--two small ottomans or seats

--upholstered bench with open legs in the same wood as the legs of your existing chairs. Overstock is good for this.

• izeve
    hace 8 años

Try pulling the two ottomans you have under the console table and including them into the seating area on the other side of the coffee table from the chairs. Are you planning to get a new rug?

• Angel 18432
    hace 8 años

Looking so much better already. Could the rug go back in?

amandasperos agradeció a Angel 18432
  • housegal200
    hace 8 años

Omigosh! I completely missed those ottomans under your console. Yes, pull them out to see how they look. They're just the right size to give you some extra seating without crowding the room. And let's see the rug go back. Maybe it'll work out if you pull couch and chairs just a bit closer to the coffee table. Then you can concentrate on great some great artwork for that wall.

• amandasperos
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

What about buying the same couch and putting it across from other one? I Like idea of using ottomans or bench but this is largest room we have for seating

on main level and want it to be comfortable when entertaining. Your comments are very helpful and appreciated!! Thx!

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Do you still have the other sofa from this photo?

• amandasperos
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

We do but they are really small and color is grey.

• groveraxle
    hace 8 años

If it's not too difficult, you might move it in and play around with arrangements just to see how it works.

• PRO
    Bon Brise Design, Inc.
    hace 8 años

We love what you've done so far. We would add that instead of a large piece of art on the big wall, you could add a smaller piece, a side table, floor lamp and move your chair + ottoman over there to create a little vignette. The couch should be opposite the windows, perhaps, and the pair of chairs on the window wall. A new, patterned rug (larger as others have suggested), plus a coffee table nestled to the couch, would allow you to avoid buying new chairs. You might find four chairs to be a bit much! Plus, we see you have a pair of small stool to add to the seating options when there is company. Thanks for sharing photos as you make progress!

amandasperos agradeció a Bon Brise Design, Inc.
  • amandasperos
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

The couch fabric was discontinued so we are back to buying two chairs and removing the oversized chair. What do you all think of this layout? I put in my dining chairs to fill the space but something light like these in a living room chair might work? It may give us more options on back wall and I think our original rug could work.

• amandasperos
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.