Houzz Logo Print
sara_kutliroff

where to end backsplash in awkward spot?

Sara K
hace 8 años

See photo. I can either end it before the plug and short of the end of cabinet and countertop or all the way to end of wall or where?!? Cannot move that pug/light switches as there was a duct there. no other options...

Comentarios (53)

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Soosun do you have a photo - I'm not sure I understand about the trims.

• shiningautumn888
    hace 8 años
    I would take it to edge of cabinet box. Yes it will interesect electrical plate but I think thats the simplest most elegant solution maybe
  • Stuarton28th NYC
    hace 8 años
    What if the backsplash went to the wall edge and up around the cabinets?
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años

I do not have a picture just looking for a solution. The horizonal trim piece give the tile something to rest on as there is no counter and the vertical piece give the horizontal piece something to rest on so the tile isn't floating on the wall. But I have also seen a new finish wherein the installer put a metal trim all around the tile to give a smooth finish.

Doorless Shower · Más información

Like this shower install! I would just extend it to the ends of the wall and trim it on all three sides.

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Ive seen tile go up and around the wall - but typically it's in the center I think. Like framing a window. Interesting solution. Have to find a pic - I'm so visual its hard to imagine.

• Rachael Edmondson
    hace 8 años
    I honestly think stopping the backsplash at the end of the cabinet, half way through the outlet would look best.
  • PRO
    David Lawrence Brown, AIA
    hace 8 años
    I would move the plug to the other side of the duct. Make the switches into a two gang, or a one gang with two vertical switches ( that would move everything away from the edge of the counter and the splash is a non issue ). If you go with the two gang, bring the splash an inch away from the switch plate. That would make the edge of the splash an inch or so back from the edge of the counter. That's perfectly acceptable. Done.
  • Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

My contractor will kill me if we have to move something!!! They already had so many mistakes.

• Martin Spilchen
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I like the idea of moving the light switch and making it a one or two gang. You don't need to have a stud to move the switch, there are wiring boxes that clamp to the drywall. Failing that, how about taking the tile to the trim then down to the floor to give a more finished look?

• bartarchitecture
    hace 8 años
    take it shy of the corner and then down to the floor. find a pencil tile or bullnose strip to frame ot the left and top edges.
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

Here:

• bartarchitecture
    hace 8 años
    pencil
  • bartarchitecture
    hace 8 años
    bump
  • Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Wow you're amazing!! Thanks so much. Great solution - one q - I thought rule of thumb was end at cabinet. Can I do that here or pushing my luck?
  • Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Speaking to Groverluck above... Thanks all for other suggestions.
  • acm
    hace 8 años

There's no rule. I'd either end at cabinet (and notch around outlet) or go to end of counter like Grover's example, but wrap around the end of the cabinet to an inch or two from the bottom. Looks better that way -- like the cabinet is embedded in the backsplash, not like the splash is a stamp stuck into the space.

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks all so very much! I think I have my solution.
  • Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Grover can I ask you to draw following the line of the cabinet to see how that would look?? Is that asking too much?
  • groveraxle
    hace 8 años

End of counter looks better:

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Agreed and you're awesome!
  • Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    And same thing on other side (peninsula)? Straight to end of counter here as well right?
  • tgb1
    hace 8 años

Your countertops are really pretty, are they quartz?

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you! Super white quartzite.
  • bartarchitecture
    hace 8 años
    photoshop skills aside Box fudged half in tile is the worst solution. Looks amateur. Even more so in that the condition repeats on the other end. I'd call an electrician or rethink the splash altogether. If ever dividing a multi gang box in plane it should be accomplished horizontally vs vertically.
  • Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    The contractor did this and I can make him move the boxes but tile guy is coming in the morning and we would have to delay entire project. Is that worth it for the holes, patching and delaying the entire thing?
  • qam999
    hace 8 años

The awkwardness of dealing with a reluctant contractor only lasts for 20 minutes, but that outlet will be staring you in the face for all time. I vote for making the extra effort now. Buy the crew a box of donuts, thank them for their patience, and get it fixed!

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Ok - moving switches was proving impossible for various different reasons my contractor gave. I give up and will just live with it. We are tiling as we speak and I really think I'll just be fine with it. But now on to grout - with this carrara tile and counter would you do platinum grout or bright white?

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    hace 8 años

My suggestion would be to take the tiles to the ends on both sides and tile down; then the outlet boxes just blend in.

• Susan Martel
    hace 8 años

My exact problem too. After looking at all these ideas, I like this last one...go from cab bottom straight to the slider and down to the floor.

x

• Susan Martel
    hace 8 años

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

We ended up just going to the edge of the cabinet upper. It looks totally fine now that it's painted. I think more tile would have been awkward.

• jackolinab
    hace 6 años

Do you have a photo of how it ended up looking? We're tiling and would love to see what yours ended up looking like with the outlet. Thank you!

• jchapman2025
    hace 5 años

Sara, could you add a picture of the outcome? We are in the midst of a similar issue now and want to see what yours looks like. I think we want to go that same route.

• TLDJ
    hace 3 años

I'd love to see how the original poster's kitchen turned out as well. Going through this same problem as we speak, but I'm using a full height granite back splash rather than tile.

• Sandy V
    hace 3 años

At my last house I had a similar issue so I used a border that went almost to the door. I never have liked the look of tile ending without a border.

When I had my bathtub tiled I had the tile guy do a border at the top of the tub. It came in a long 10-12 foot section and was cut to fit. They come in multiple finishes.

• Sandy V
    hace 3 años

Here's a photo

• Sandy V
    hace 3 años

Photo Bathtub

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

sorry i never updated. here is the finished kitchen. it doesn’t bother me and i think we made the right calls on the ends.

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

as You can see on the end with the peninsula the lines it up with the cabinet just like we did on the end without the peninsula that was the original question. It has worked out just fine

• TLDJ
    hace 3 años

The peninsula end is perfect I think. I can't really see the other side. That side is the exact issue I have at the moment. Do you have a closer photo of that? If I go over the upper wall edge, I think everyone suggesting the border or Schluter trim or something along those lines is dead-on. Just trying to decide between that solution and having the outlet half on the granite and half off. Since the granite is an inch and a quarter thick, I question if I can even do half on and half off. Another option in my case would be to go about 2 inches from the door frame and have the granite go from floor to ceiling and have it rounded off. So, as far as I can tell I could 1) stop granite at upper cabinet or 2) stop granite at door frame and go to floor or 3) stop granite an inch or two past the countertop and go from floor to ceiling. Leaning toward the second option because of the granite thickness but I'd love thoughts.

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

peninsula excuse my mess :)

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

other end

• Sara K
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

We were advised by our kitchen designer friend to always match up the cabinet line if we could to keep it symmetrical on both sides. It will make less of a obvious than if we try to rectify it going all the way around or making a bull nose.

• RedRyder
    hace 3 años

I think you’re solution is more than fine.

• TLDJ
    hace 3 años

Thank you so much for posting these photos Sara K! I think your solution looks elegant and rather unnoticeable. Frankly if someone is looking that hard at my house and has such a critical eye, they should probably leave! I think I'll try your approach and hope there is a way to install my light switch at the same depth despite the thick granite that will end in the middle of the gang. He may have to jut out the granite to cover the entirety of the light switch. If he does that I'll have to do some sort of camouflage solution for the side, but I can get creative with a sign or something maybe. This could get interesting. Haha

• Sara Kutliroff
    hace 3 años

Good luck to you! In 5 years not ONE person has noticed unless I have poitned it out.

• nschiraldo
    hace 2 años

Hello Sara! I am in the same boat that you were in. I think what you did looks great! How did you get the switch plate to be so flat on the wall with the tile being thicker?

• Hannah
    el último año

Sara, thank you for posting your updated pictures! I just ran into the same exact issue today and your pictures made it super easy to make an instant decision.

• mehmedovicluiza
    el último año

I would buy a plug that combines 2-3 switches in one and would shift that either all the way to the right or left

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.