Houzz Logo Print
downplay

Container Too Big; Should I Try Again?

downplay
hace 8 años

Now that I read more about worms, I never thought that maybe I could be overfeeding them or putting them in too big of a bin!

We bought “2000 red wrigglers.” I didn’t count them but it didn’t really seem like a lot of worms.

The bin I prepared is about 2/3 the size of a blue barrel. I nearly filled it with shredded leaves. There is a little bit of spent coffee grounds mixed in, a tiny bit of cardboard, and then I put a thin layer of horse manure on top. I think the level of moisture is pretty good. The mass of worms seems tiny compared too all the material I put them in though.

Is this way too much? Will the worms be in danger of disease or other problems with all this material? If so, should I try to sift them out and put them in less material? I want to keep them healthy :)

Another option might be to order more worms. We might consider spending a little more.

Comentarios (11)

• viper114
    hace 8 años

I would say let it go the population will adjust to bin size and amount of food in time

downplay agradeció a viper114
  • Jon Biddenback
    hace 8 años

I think the most important question here is whether those shredded leaves were dry and brown or juicy and green when they were put in. An oversized bin with plentiful bedding is slow but it's safe, you can take a sit-and-wait approach. An oversized bin packed with high-nitrogen food is likely to turn into a poisonous oven as it heats up and releases ammonia gas.

downplay agradeció a Jon Biddenback
  • downplay
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks Jon, the leaves were brown and dry to start out. They were in our regular compost pile and it had rained a couple days before, so they were somewhat drained but still quite wet. I think a good moisture level for worms. We haven't added any greens and don't plan on it. The only major nitrogen source is used coffee grounds but there is not a lot. Mostly we plan to feed them the ingredients listed above. Coffee grounds will have to do for nitrogen but I intend to add them a little at a time so we don't cook the little diggers. I feel better, maybe they'll be just fine. 2,000 worms sounds like a lot until you see them!

• worldcomposting
    hace 8 años

Hi Downplay, 2,000 worms sounds like a lot until you realize how small worms can be. I had the same thing happen when I purchased my worms where the person gave me 5 lbs of compost for them to eat. I thought my worms died as I did not even see them for months but they eventually ate the compost and spread throughout the bin. It takes more time for the population to grow than most people think.

I do think sometimes a smaller bin is better for smaller populations just so they are closer to the food you add. Here is a video of some of the bins I have as an idea.

• downplay
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for the pic! I decided to leave my worms undisturbed on the advice above since we didn't put in a lot of things that are likely to quick rot. It all still smells OK, or rather doesn't smell much at all. I've only seen a few of my worms on top of the horsey poo but they seemed hydrated and healthy. I'm trying to have the patience to leave them undisturbed for a while. In a couple weeks I may add some fresh poo mixed with coffee grounds just to be sure they have the nitrogen they need but because of the sheer volume of brown leaf bedding, coffee grounds, and poo they already have, I doubt they need a thing. A small amount of leachate has dripped out of the bottom and I take this as a good sign. Only a super tiny amount of clear water ever dripped out before the worms were added. I think it is just a matter of patience now!

• PRO
    Iowa Worm Composting
    hace 8 años

2000 bedrun redworms is probably about a pound. Your worms will fill that space eventually. Not ideal but will work. My concern is mostly leaves. They don't hold moisture all that well. Some torn up newspaper and corrugated cardboard might help. Peat moss or coco coir would also be a welcome addition to aid in moisture retention. You might want to swap out some of your leaves. If you get your bedding right.. you can always add more worms later. A half pound per square foot is a good initial stocking rate.

• downplay
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Thanks for the good info! I wish I'd had your "initial stocking rate" before I prepared their bedding. After a few weeks there is no odor and it still seems plenty moist in their barrel which has leaked a tiny bit of what I'm guessing is leachate. So far as I can tell they are doing just fine. I was thinking about giving them a tiny bit more of coffee grounds mixed with horse poo tomorrow just to be sure they have plenty of nitrogen/protein sub-components. Hindsight is so often 20/20. I would like to leave them relatively undisturbed hoping they get through a reproduction cycle and then I will transfer them to a larger "wedge" bed as described above in our shop or maybe an outdoor pile under some shade trees. I see now that having a large volume of worms is a long-term project unless we are willing to plow some serious bucks into it. I have more time than money at the moment :)

• PRO
    Iowa Worm Composting
    hace 8 años

They will do Ok in there. Be careful to not overfeed. A couple of cups of veggie scraps for your amount of worms is a good starting point. Feed all in one small area. The worms will find it. When they are on that... feed the same amount in a different spot. You will notice when they need more. They won't starve. They eat the bedding also. They tend to eat the nutrients out of manure and leave the more fibrous stuff. Still good bedding but not as nutricious. With your situation. ..my advice is to feed and watch. If doing well and you can afford. ..add some more worms later. Too much space is a nice problem.

downplay agradeció a Iowa Worm Composting
  • downplay
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

All our veggie scraps go to the chickens but we have mounds of horse poo and coffee grounds which they seem to like just fine. I looked in today and it is just as you say, the horse poo I put on top looks highly "picked through" and now highly fibrous compared to how it looked before.

How much horse poo can you give them as a ratio? Is it acceptable as "bedding" or do they need something else like leaves, cardboard, etc in addition? We have enough poo to raise a small worm farm! People keep saying how much they "love" the horse poo.

• PRO
    Iowa Worm Composting
    hace 8 años

Worms do great in horse manure. You can use it for bedding if it is pre-composted. You have to be careful with fresh because of heating. You should pre-compost any hot manure like cow or horse because of weed seeds in your castings. If you feed fresh. ... only a shallow layer on top over part of the bed. Leave them space to retreat to in case of heating. Sounds like you will do just fine. Those worms will populate before you know it.

downplay agradeció a Iowa Worm Composting
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.