Houzz Logo Print
sueb_hooven

Bathroom project from hell completed but not.

Sue B Hooven
hace 8 años
This is the final project from hell from big box store I have been yelled at on here for going to. End result. The stuff they could not/would not do.

Comentarios (14)

• terry toon
    hace 8 años
    This is very very pretty.
  • Sue B Hooven
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I could only add four photos at a time so bear with me. I'm going to add a few more including the parts left undone they didn't know how to do.

In the photo first post at the top, you'll see the toe kick is crooked and not on and a some grout not between the marble baseboard. To their defense, that will be on their "punch list" if I will let them back. Photos 2-4 are good. They did fix the wall near the light switch but they need to come back and it's still bumpy and the switch plate is cracked. Assuming they will fix this on their "punch list as well". The other photos show missing baseboard they cannot cut because they do not know how, still the corner molding tiles in the niche and on the corner need to be redone they don't know how... second photo from the bottom shows a navy blue area and below no molding but it's a sliver of space and they "could not" and will not do. they don't know how. Though I venture to say they should have NOT worked in the bathroom with the vanity in there. They should have removed it and painted that. As for the sliver of molding, same thing, they cannot cut it. Bottom photo shows that the new fan (old one was not working right and about 30 years old and sounded like a freight train when it intermittently would go on) was different size. That's wallpaper on the ceiling. I don't hold them liable on that. It's something I knew might happen from the beginning. I'll either repaper the ceiling, put bead board up (opinion?) or just leave flat. Which I told them might happen. SO I asked them to put up drwall which they did. Then I had to ask them are you going to plaster that? They answer was um no? I said Um yes! So they did. I didn't want to argue but since I wanted the ceiling to be FLAT in case I needed to leave it that way, I ASSUMED they'd sand it? Um my bad! Anyway, this is the final results from the big box store. No, I am not ripping it out. I will not put myself through this again! I will ask for reparations to pay for the stuff that does need to be finished. Oh and they did not paint inside the linen closet or prime the window casing. I will need to touch up paint... and I got some floor cleaning still to do... that's it. This is how I will live till I can find an apt person to finish. Might be 10 years like this. I got a feeling! LOL

• terry toon
    hace 8 años
    Um shoot! Lol. Have you shown pictures to the big box store? Whoever worked on your house is just an independent contractor hired out by them but they should make this right. They know of experienced people who could fix this.
  • PRO
    Adoria Furniture and Renovation
    hace 8 años
    Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, I hate hearing these horror stories.

The overall look is very nice. These are simple things that should have been done and still could be done. Be careful hiring a big box store and the third party contractors that come with it. Typically it's the cheapest
    quote so the store can get the most profit. The contractor saying they don't know how is not acceptable!
  • Sue B Hooven
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I posted the problems I had with them on another thread. It got off track so I posted the photos separate. They are aware. I made them aware for the past two weeks. I've emailed at least four time with issues. There were a hundred different issues throughout with the workers. Too many chiefs stirring the pot leaving workers with no talent... having to redo and send better guys wasting time and money. They'd do something and next day have to fix half of the stuff they did the day before. It was a nightmare. I am so happy to be home today with no workers. I needed that rest and an extra hour sleep and to sleep without bad dreams! LOL. But yeah, they will know for sure.

• rocketjcat
    hace 8 años
    Sue, I've been watching the progress and angst on your other treads. The unfinished corner is unbelievable. Is there an outside corner molding treatment for that? I love your overall design? Can you share the paint color? It really will be beautiful once you get the right guy in there to finish it up.
  • PRO
    Rénovation MTL
    hace 8 años

Hi there I would like to help you, easy there not much .in witch area do you live.

Sue B Hooven agradeció a Rénovation MTL
  • Sue B Hooven
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

The color is Benjamin Moore Mt Rainier (Candace Olson Color) 2129-60. I am in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. I've been calling stone yards and high end showrooms where they sell marble to ask about stone cutters. I got one person to give me a guys name. I did also check like the hire a pro sites they advertise but they were giving me handymen... I think NOT. I'm sure there's probably one that might cut it, but I really want to make sure I don't waste a bazillion tiles on trial and error. So I'd rather find someone who's worked with it or has the right skill and/or equipment to cut carrara. Any help given would be appreciated. I still now have to find a glass place to get me doors. I will not use the big box store for this.

• PRO
    Rénovation MTL
    hace 8 años

Sorry Im in Montreal ,ciao

• Sue B Hooven
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

It was worth a shot! I have a guy coming out next week who does high end homes. He has won awards for tile work, and saw photos. He claims he can cut it. We shall see. I need to get a few more pieces just in case. Also just contacted three companies from various sources (one a glass company, one a shower door specialty company and one a "solutions" company whatever that is) to get a varied view for the shower door. I did not contact Lowe's! LOL

• shiningautumn888
    hace 8 años

Im confused. What kind of "tile guy" has no experience cutting carrara marble?? Its a very common tile and very popular. You certainly don't need an award winning tile expert work with his material...its not like it is coming from a rare under-ocean volcano in the pacific and one has any experience with it. that being said I hope that this guy is able to finish the project for you.

• Sue B Hooven
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

LOL that's what I thought. The issue was 45 degrees on thin pourous material... they cut the subway tiles ok. It was just the chair rail, baseboard and half round decorative pieces they had issues with. They even cut the imported micro mosaic boarder no problem? It was just the angle cuts. They BUTTED the corners that went inwards. That isn't looking the best either. For the record, they said this is the first time they couldn't do something in tile. Go figure.

• Rusty Empire
    hace 8 años

I think there's perhaps a couple of issues here: 1. They wanted to be done with the project and this was an easy "out". 2. It may be simply a new blade for the tile saw was necessary and sheer laziness on their part for not replacing it. I've cut difficult tile - like narrow travertine trim that just crumbles under the blade - and sometimes that was all that was necessary: a new, high quality blade in the wet saw. But looking at the pictures just briefly I don't see a huge issue with these small trim repairs. The trim behind the toilet was almost humorous to look at - clearly this was not a finish carpenter at work, not even close. Best of luck.

Sue B Hooven agradeció a Rusty Empire
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.