Houzz Logo Print
eblue14

Should I paint these nice kitchen cabinets?

eblue14
hace 8 años

The previous owner of our home had custom cabinets built in the kitchen. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, but just not my cup of tea. I have always wanted white cabinets. I love a cottage chic interior style, and these cabinets are just not my taste. And with the dark hardwood floors (not seen), it can feel a bit like a cave sometimes. Its just a lot of dark wood everywhere. We have a 50s retro, sort of cottage chic theme going through our house with lots of black and white. Our accent colors are peach and aqua. I had planned to paint the cabinets, and add a sort of retor black and white back splash (you can see one square foot of it taped to the wall in one pic) and new countertops. My dilemma is that I am intimidated to paint them, since they do not look bad by any stretch of the imagination. I do worry about the white paint not looking good in a few years. But on the other hand, I want to make this look more like the white vintage kitchen I've always wanted, since we do plan to stay here for many many years. What would u do? Would you bite the bullet and paint? Or do you have any other suggestions to give this space more of a bright, airy, vintage feel?

Comentarios (10)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 8 años

Those look to be cherry in a natural finish. They aren't everyone's taste (I like cherry...but not as a kitchen). If you want white, these will paint out very nicely. Make sure you work with professionals who will use high end enamal paint with proper preparation.

As far as I can tell (by photos and description) you should be able to use the counters with a white kitchen. Dark floors with white cabs and "medium" counter tops should work quite well.

Will you be keeping the mint wall colour?

• eblue14
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

The walls are going to be a shade of mint, but a different one. The one we chose is much softer and lighter than the one you see in the picture. Its really more of a neutral with a cool minty green undertone. We have already repainted the other kitchen walls (not seen in the picture) but didn't bother repainting in between the uppers and lowers since we plan to have a back splash installed soon :)

• joyallen1
    hace 8 años

I would definitely not install back splash until you decide on cabinet colour. Even wall colour should complement everything in the space, so the mint colour might not work if the cabinets change.

• sandradclark
    hace 8 años

I see that backsplash tile as more of going in the bathroom on the floor of a shower. Sorry. I definately agree that Cancork's suggestions be used. Withhold your backsplash choice until the cabinets are painted & new hardware is installed. Perhaps a subway tile in a glass format in the accent color you use would be better.

• sandradclark
    hace 8 años

With a white grout.

• shatoneshouse
    hace 8 años

I had the same issue in my kitchen (and looks like same cabinets). I kept going back and forth and finally decided to paint the cabinets white, since I had always wanted a white kitchen. I am SO GLAD I did, because I love my kitchen now. My advice is go for it!

• eblue14
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for all your comments! I do like the look of subway tile, but my concern with it is that it seems very trendy right now, and I fear that because of the trendyness it will look dated in a few years..? Maybe not. Just my thoughts. And yes I agree we won't be finalizing on a back splash or countertop until the cabinets are done. Thank you! Keep the ideas coming! :)

• PRO
    For Life Interiors
    hace 8 años

Yes, paint the tobacco colored maple cabinets. A white subway tile is a classic option.

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

i have the same floor in my bathroom as your backsplash choice... i'd choose something else. there are a lot of fish in the sea other than subway tile.

maybe staggered squares?

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.