Houzz Logo Print
eliz41

Custom Manufactured Solid Surface Shower Base?

Liz
hace 8 años

We're in the planning stages of gutting our tub/shower combo and putting in a walk-in shower with sliding glass panel doors. I do not want a tile base. We've been looking at getting a custom stainless steel shower pan made, but I want to consider other options as well.

I work for a company that makes cabinetry, and part of what we do is custom solid surface (such as Corian) countertop work. So I'm thinking.... What about a shower base? Has anyone ever had a custom solid surface shower pan made up? Is this a thing? I could get the material and manufacturing labour for cost (job perks!) and the base would be completely custom for our space. Solid surface is completely waterproof, mold and mildew proof, non-porous, and comes in a pile of gorgeous colours. It seems perfect for this application!

I know the pan needs to slope -- that is the design hang-up I'm running into. I'm thinking I could easily do one of those amazing trench drains and then I only have to slope from the far end of the shower to the drain in one plane.

What about slipperiness? I'd be choosing a matte-finish solid surface material (not glossy), would that be non-slip enough? It's probably equally as smooth as an enameled tub would be.

Any experience, thoughts, advice, considerations, etc, would be appreciated!

Comentarios (15)

• s c
    hace 8 años
    why don't you buy a shower pan, they make some pretty nice ones now. Check out Duravit, they even have zero clearance models that are flush to the floor.

http://www.duravit.us/products/all_series/duraplan.us-en.html
  • User
    hace 8 años

Done it a couple of times. Even wholesale, it won't be cheap. It's mostly fabrication labor. You might consider s cultured marble product instead for the pan. I use it a lot. $900-1800 average. Corian wholesale would be about double unless your fabricator is family.

• Liz
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    @live_wire_oak I'm not super concerned about the cost... We'd probably be getting Wilsonart solid surface (about half the cost of Corian), cut the parts on the CNC and our solid surface guy in the shop could assemble and clamp it up in a couple of days. We also might have some partial sheets lurking around the shop I could have, just have to take a look at what's available.

I'm more concerned with design and feasibility of it! Obviously I need a curb at the entrance, probably like 4" wide x 3" high. What about the sides, just 3" high and tile down to them?
  • Liz
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    @CTF Building & Remodeling LLC
    I'm not 100% sure that we can use and off the shelf pan. We're replacing a tub, but I don't know if the drain location is standard. We're in a condo, so the drain is in the concrete floor and not relocateable.

Husband doesn't really like the look of the acrylic pans that are on the market. His #1 choice is stainless steel, but I want to have another option I can show him.
  • raineycarole
    hace 8 años
    Stainless is slippery when wet. Not a good idea for a shower base.
  • Liz
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Thanks for the input on stainless steel -- but I'm asking about solid surface! Any experience or advice with this?

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 8 años

The size of a drain for a shower is larger than a tub drain - is someone going to change that out? There are several fabricators in our area that make standard size and custom size solid surface pans as well as solid surface wall panels. So yes it is something that is done quite regularly - but it is part of what these companies do on a day in - day out basis. I have no idea what they cost. You would have to access whether your shop could do this when it is not part of what they regularly do.

• Liz
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

I did not know that the shower drains are bigger than tub drains! Our building was put up in the early 70s, and we are assuming that the tub we have is original to the unit, so it is probably 1.5" drain pipes, right? I was thinking we could just use the existing drain lines to connect into the new unit.... Something else to think about, worry about, stress about....

We fully intend to have a real, licensed, bonded, insured, blessed-by-the-queen-herself-if-need-be plumber to do the work -- we are in a high-rise condo and do not want to risk anything leaking into units below us. So if a new drain line needs to be put in, said plumber will do that for us, too.

• Liz
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

Just pulled out my building code... 1.5" drains are a-okay with 1 shower head in my area.

Phew.

• chiflipper
    hace 8 años

Lucky you to be getting the "baby sister discount" on a solid surface pan. Yes, I have done a few...very expensive. Your fabricator can shave the slope to the drain and add subtle cross-hatching for slip resistance. That said, since you are in a condo may I suggest a very neutral color.

• Liz
    Autor original
    hace 8 años

@chiflipper
    Yes, I know, the convenience of working for a place that does this is VERY sweet! (We're planning a kitchen remodel about a year from now, I'm dying over the deals I'm getting!) I also used to work closely with a solid surface fabricator who might have enough leftover off-cuts from previous jobs that I can negotiate using. It's all very up in the air at this point.

We are planning on medium grey tile and white walls, so something that will match with that is where we are going; no crazy colours for me!

• teamaltese
    hace 8 años
    Is there a way to treat the solid surface so that there is a texture? My only concern is that even a matte surface may not provide enough traction to be safe.
  • PRO
    Blu Bathworks
    hace 8 años

Hi Liz,

Would you consider an eco-friendly blu•stone™ shower base?

Precision engineered with a super slim 1¼" threshold, the Italian-made blu•stone™ shower receptor creates a sleep appearance and allows for convenient entry/exit, with the option to surface-mount or recess flush to the floor for universal design applications.

Embodying minimalist design, the seamless blu•stone™ shower base boasts a luminous white matte finish providing a quality - even warm - feel underfoot. The material is slip resistant for added safety, anti-microbial and non-porus in naturing, ensuring ease of maintenance and a smart alternative to tile and other materials.

You can learn more about the shower bases here. Please let me know if you have any questions. Have a great day!

The complete shower experience · Más información

The complete shower experience · Más información

• acm
    hace 8 años

I have seen terrazzo, but never Corian as a base. Surely it couldn't be any slipperier than, say, a regular tub -- at worst, you use those adhesive slip guards. But antislip finish is part of what the premade pans have as an advantage...

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.